• Advertisement

Low Density Immersion Heaters 240 Volts

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Low Density Immersion Heaters 240 Volts

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi there
Can any of you guys out there point me in the direction of purchasing 240 Volt Low Density Immersion Heaters.
Regards
Thepatchworkdoll
thepatchworkdoll

Equipment type: 1500 x 54 copper, mesh packed VM Proportional Splitting Head on 50 ltr keg. 4 plate 4" Bubble Cap on 50 ltr keg. 2" Standard Pot Still

Re: Low Density Immersion Heaters 240 Volts

Postby bentstick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Amazon,Macmaster carr, grainger,pex supply, all .coms
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby acfixer69 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Ebay has them and cheap if you search hard

Low density is cooler but larger for same watt rating. heat/square inch

AC
My 4" column build
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4800
acfixer69

Equipment type: Small pot still
4" modular bubble plate
15.5 gal keg with 2 45Kw elements /50 amp phase angle controller

Postby Izzy_Britton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm

my mail order plumbing supply house of choice

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/elements.html
I Z Z Y
I wrote:Being broke with ideas sucks
Izzy_Britton

Equipment type: NO Equipment :(

Postby jake_leg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:30 pm

@doll If you are talking about the 2 1/4 inch BSP jobs in UK domestic hot water heaters, what you need is a 27" long copper element. Not incoloy or "corrosion-resistant". You may need to bend it in half to fit it in your boiler. That's OK, the copper is soft, but anneal it first and take it slowly. Remember to bypass the thermostat. Click picture for link.

I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby myles » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 am

Your other option (if you do not wish to simply use a power controller) is to get a much higher rated element. I am thinking of for example a 12kW 400v 3 phase, and run this on single phase instead.

Usually the 3 individual heater elements would be running in parallel, so each element might be a 4kW 240v single phase. Wiring them up in parallel on just a single phase reduces the current through each individual element.

You can get 3 phase elements in the same 2.25" threaded fitting up to 12kW 400v. You would have to calculate the equivalent power if you were to run one of these on a single phase instead.

As a very rough estimate 12kW 400v would pull 30A, suggesting the elements are 13.3 ohms in total. Switching that into 240v instead reduces the current to 18 Amps and the power to 4.3kW.

That is not accurate, as I have not factored in the series and parallel resistor networks complications, but you can see the general idea.

Oh I nearly forgot: You can get them here: http://www.milkingmachines.co.uk/uk2shop-11.htm
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:11 am

Electric resistance heating is pretty efficient, so if you put 1000 Watts into it, you'll pretty much get 1000 Watts of heat out of it, regardless of whether it's long, short, folded, or made into the shape of Florida. What the shape (surface area, really) does for you is this: The greater the surface area for a given wattage, the less heat that's put out per square cm (or inch, or acre, or whatever). This is called a low intensity element, and it's less likely to scorch your mash. If your element is physically extremely small, again for the same wattage rating, so much heat is put out per square cm that the element will become incandescent, an scorch everything in the next county.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby thepatchworkdoll » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi Guys
Found them on ebay. Thanks for all the input.
Regards
Patch

http://stores.ebay.com/NorthAmericaHVAC
thepatchworkdoll

Equipment type: 1500 x 54 copper, mesh packed VM Proportional Splitting Head on 50 ltr keg. 4 plate 4" Bubble Cap on 50 ltr keg. 2" Standard Pot Still

Return to Accessories