• Advertisement

Mash Tun Banding - leather?

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Mash Tun Banding - leather?

Postby Al Qaemist » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Hoping to dip into the huge amount of collective knowledge and skills that our members have.

I'm building a brewery, my mash tun is stainless steel that I have clad in pine for insulation, I've oiled it and its starting to look quite good. The planks are screwed together in 2 sections, which are then joined with dowels. Although its quite sturdy as is, I want to put some sort of banding to hold it all together.

Most seem to use to use a copper strip, I'm thinking of using a leather strap. I would like it to be able to be broken down again, in case liquid gets down in between the stainless and the wood.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this, riveting, something like a belt buckle? I'm sure someone out there has experience in working\joining leather, any tips would be great.

AlQ
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, bubble ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Re: Mash Tun Banding - leather?

Postby Mud » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:10 am

I'd suggest a couple stainless bands with with pinch bolts.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:24 am

I have done some leather work over the years. Been a while since my last effort but I would put forward these thoughts.
If you require your timber batons to be held together tightly, then....
Yes leather is flexible, yes it is friendly to work with, it does take some maintenance to remain in that flexible state, yes it will stretch over time. As a belt with holes using a buckle fixing surrounding a flexible object i.e. a camp swag, attaching objects to a pack animal or around your belly to hold your pants up, no problem.
To apply the same thing to a non flexible object i.e. as a band around a solid cask/barrel you do not have the ability to achieve the minute adjustments with a belt buckle as you do with other attachment methods. Leather, over time will stretch and require some tightening. That is not to say that leather cannot be used for this purpose but a regular belt with holes buckle system (in my opinion) may not be the answer. There are other methods e.g. cinch straps may possibly work but are not quite as simple to use but are variable. They are available as a buckle version (as in the quick release type attachments on back packs, child retraining straps, luggage straps etc. where you join the two halves of the buckle then pull the strap to tighten, or as a strap tied version through a ring, as used in saddle girth straps which are both infinitely adjustable as circumstances require.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Cedar Grove » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:25 am

You could use Nylon, it will shrink the first Time You wet it.
I figured that out a long Time ago working on Boats.
Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Equipment type: 15.5 Gallon Keg Boiler, 3" Diameter 40" Tall Column, Stainless Shell and Tube Condenser

Return to Accessories