• Advertisement

NIST certified traceable hydrometer (alcoholometer)

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

NIST certified traceable hydrometer (alcoholometer)

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:19 pm

My friend who is going legit asked me who supplies the federally-certified alcoholometers. Do I remember that it's usually a 3-instrument set?

I know it's been mentioned here before, but can anyone tell me where to get these?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Re: NIST certified traceable hydrometer (alcoholometer)

Postby pintoshine » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby sugarcreek » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:37 pm

We got our at novatech. The hydros are (relatively) cheap, the certs are not.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:41 pm

Pint and Sugar. Either Google got smarter of I did, because I'm finding them now. but holy shit! Separate certification is truly spendy.

While I'm used to calibration of (electronic) instruments, and these all appear to be calibrated, and come with a a document attesting to that, so what is the "certification", what does it buy me, and why is it so damnably expensive?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Tracker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:15 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Pint and Sugar. Either Google got smarter of I did, because I'm finding them now. but holy shit! Separate certification is truly spendy.

While I'm used to calibration of (electronic) instruments, and these all appear to be calibrated, and come with a a document attesting to that, so what is the "certification", what does it buy me, and why is it so damnably expensive?

Get real ZB, how else is the gubbermint going to fill their coffers unless it is by subterfuge ? :o

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby sugarcreek » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:45 am

From http://www.ttb.gov/foia/gauging_manual_toc.shtml

30.24 Specific gravity hydrometers.

(a) The specific gravity hydrometers furnished by proprietors to appropriate TTB officers shall conform to the standard specifications of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) for such instruments. Such specific gravity hydrometers shall be of a precision grade, standardization temperature 60 °/60 °F., and provided in the following ranges and subdivisions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Range Subdivision
1.0000 to 1.0500...........................................0.0005
1.0500 to 1.1000...........................................0.0005
1.1000 to 1.1500...........................................0.0005
1.1500 to 1.2000...........................................0.0005
1.2000 to 1.2500...........................................0.0005
No instrument shall be in error by more than 0.0005 specific gravity.

(b) A certificate of accuracy prepared by the instrument manufacturer for the instrument shall be furnished to the appropriate TTB officer.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Harry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:46 pm

b) A certificate of accuracy prepared by the instrument manufacturer for the instrument shall be furnished to the appropriate TTB officer.

And the assumption is?... that the TTB officer in question is actually conversant with scientific technical terms, trained to understand the certificate and it's import. Riiight! :roll:

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby Bushman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:28 am

Harry wrote:
b) A certificate of accuracy prepared by the instrument manufacturer for the instrument shall be furnished to the appropriate TTB officer.

And the assumption is?... that the TTB officer in question is actually conversant with scientific technical terms, trained to understand the certificate and it's import. Riiight! :roll:

Sounds like the people I worked with to get building permits!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby sugarcreek » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:02 am

>> And the assumption is?... that the TTB officer in question is actually conversant with scientific technical terms, trained to understand the certificate and it's import.

The knowledge/understanding of the TTB officer has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's all about accurate measurements upon which tax due is based. 99% of laws governing liquor in the US are based on collecting tax. Besides, if this wasn't required you know that folks would use the shittiest, cheapest hydro possible.
sugarcreek

Return to Accessories