• Advertisement

Electric Parrot Theory Discussion

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Re: Electric Parrot Theory Discussion

Postby jacksonbrown » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Big claims, mate.
I’m not sure I’d be that bold considering there’s is faint waft of truth in his claims and you’ve got nothing to back it up at the moment.

I’m not sure you understand this whole 'open source community’ thing either.
Uses everyone’s hard work, coax others into doing the rest then purchase the cheapest possible, counterfeit parts from China??
That’s a funny interpretation of supporting the community that made it possible.
jacksonbrown

Postby Fester » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:12 pm

jacksonbrown wrote:Big claims, mate.
I’m not sure I’d be that bold considering there’s is faint waft of truth in his claims and you’ve got nothing to back it up at the moment.

I’m not sure you understand this whole 'open source community’ thing either.
Uses everyone’s hard work, coax others into doing the rest then purchase the cheapest possible, counterfeit parts from China??
That’s a funny interpretation of supporting the community that made it possible.

What big claim? Taking a temperature reading and converting it to display ABV? We've already done that and so have you. The only difference is we publish every line of code and the wiring diagrams so others can make their own, and to improve it if they can. Our code is "in the public domain", free to use for anyone that wants it. How, in your mind, is this not open source?

I understand open source perfectly. You are free to use it "for free" and, if you are able, you can donate to those that make it possible. The Arduino developers use donations and the sale of their hardware to support the continued development of the IDE. If anyone feels that buying a clone of the hardware is in any way cheating someone then they of course can buy the parts directly from the developers - who, themselves, have open sourced the hardware so others can make the hardware - or, like me, make a direct donation to the Arduino developers.

I would personally like to see every clone identified as Arduino Clone but that would be for the Arduino developers to get done. It was they that open sourced the hardware and give away the software.
VisionStills
The best distilling hardware at the best prices.
Fester

Postby jacksonbrown » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:58 pm

You don’t have a finished, working model yet so claiming that you will for under 20 bucks seemed like a big claim to me.
Fantastic if you can do it and maintain quality. I know I can't.
An Uno cost $25 US on its’ own. Then there’s the peripheral hardware to go with it.

You say you’re making personal donations yet widely encouraging others to not support the people designing hardware and library’s through their purchases.
That doesn’t seem all that noble to me. It actually goes against my understanding of open source.
Tight arses will do what they do but they shouldn't be kidding themselves that they're doing it for the right reasons when actually they just like the idea of free while getting someone else to do the work.
That’s piracy not open source.

Maybe I jumped the gun a bit so sorry if that's the case.
jacksonbrown

Postby Fester » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Edit: Sorry, double post.

Not sure why my response didn't post, try again, then get a double post :oops: .
Maybe because there was another in the queue in front of me?
VisionStills
Fester

Postby Fester » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm using a Nano clone, it costs me about $2. An Uno clone costs about $3. That includes the USB cable.

If YOU don't want to use a clone then that is YOUR choice.

If you have the skills, you can make your own clone, from directions provided by the Arduino developers, for about $3 or so in parts. Maybe even $1 is possible.
VisionStills
Fester

Postby Fester » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Nano clone $2.10
Screw shield $1.20 (handy but not absolutely necessary)
LCD 2004 $3.45 (includes backpack for easy wiring)
perf board $0.10 (only need 1/2 so $0.05)
4 each 10mm push buttons $0.22, total
altitude sensor $4.92
plastic box $1 (or free from your kitchen)
DallasOneWire temp sensor with 4K7 resistor, a little less than $2

That's what I paid for mine. You are free to pay whatever you see fit to whomever you care to give your money to.
VisionStills
Fester

Previous

Return to Accessories