• Advertisement

Pop's Baked Sweet Corn Mash aka PBS

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Pop's Baked Sweet Corn Mash aka PBS

Postby Pop Larkin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:33 am

Thats correct. I start over with new corn each & every go around. I guess you could save the slops & run a UJSM style ferment if you liked.

The only thing I save is a quart of slops from the bottom of the fermenter to re start the new ferment once Iv'e cooked up the next new batch. Saves buying new yeast every time. I just fill a quart & pop it in the fridge. When I need it I take it out of the fridge & pitch it right into the newly cooked mash.

HopeThisHelps POP
"It's an old trick but it just might work"
Pop Larkin

Equipment type: 100 cup coffee urn Pot Still with "RumBull" style Scotch Sankey head.

Postby PAMoonshiner » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Yes very much thank you pop.
PAMoonshiner

Postby Buddy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Pop Larkin wrote:I kinda gave up on the baking only because I started using 13+ lb corn & thats a lot of shit to have in the wife's oven ;-)

The end product seems to come out as good. Mind you, after I age it Im sure the difference will be negligible.

ItAllTasteGood POP

I realize I'm poking into an old thread, but this looks like something I'd like to try. Let me ask a couple of questions first though. If I'm reading this correctly the only ingredients are corn, barely and/or enzymes, water and yeast.
No nutes, B vitimans, or fertilizer right?
Now that your not toasting the corn could one just use cans of creamed corn and save the wife's blender? :idea:
I have well water (pumped up almost 800 feet out of the Tuscan aquifer below MT. Lassen). Really good tasting water, but it does have some calcium (PH around 7.0). Do you think that will be ok to use?

And thanks a bunch for posting this!
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby shortbed454 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:10 am

You have to make sure there are no artificial preservatives, but I don't see why not. I never used creamed corn though. I love this stuff. Best shine I ever had.
60% of the time, it works every time!
shortbed454

Postby Buddy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Hey Pop, Did you ever figure out if salt in the canned corn was the problem or not?
Buddy

Postby Buddy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:41 am

So what I found out is that it's pretty hard to find canned creamed corn without salt.
I found 15 oz cans of creamed house brand at Winco that have 300 mg per serving, while the whole kernel of the same brand is 200 mg. I found 6 Lb creamed style at Cash & Carry but they have 600 mg per serving.

So I took a can of the Winco cream style, a can or so of water threw in in a pan on top the woodstove and boiled it for an hour or so. When it cooled down a little I give it a little bit of lemon juice to bring the ph down then some enzyme, let it sit a bit then did an iodine test and found the starch to be converted. Then I added a little sugar, a pinch of Epsom salt, and pitched the yeast when it was at the right temp stated on the yeast package (EC-1118 that according to the package expired in 2003) , threw it in an old juice bottle, shook it up a bit to give it a little oxygen, and put the ferment lock on it. In a couple of hours it started bubbling away. I put it in a dark place and forgot about it fer a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I forgot to take an initial hydrometer reading :oops: , but today I noticed it had quit bubbling and the yeast had all settled to the bottom so I dropped the hydrometer in it, and the hydrometer said it was done, so I tasted it, and it definitely tastes like alcohol. Not enough wash to run thru the still though. This experiment was just to see if the creamed corn with 300 mg of sodium per serving would ferment good.

Since I got about 3 or 4 projects I'm juggling at the same time it might be a bit b4 I get back to this, but next experiment will probably be to do the same thing with that 6 lb can of 600 mg sodium / serving creamed corn. Maybe I'll remember to take an initial SG reading next time. Maybe I'll use fresher yeast also.
Buddy

Postby punkin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 pm

What converted the starch? You don't mention enzymes or anything?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Buddy wrote:When it cooled down a little I give it a little bit of lemon juice to bring the ph down then some enzyme,
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Previous

Return to Proven Recipes