• Advertisement

BW Redneck's Wheat Whiskey Method

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: BW Redneck's Wheat Whiskey Method

Postby Swede » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Excellent tutorial BW Redneck, thanks a lot.

I have 1 question, maybe you want to add the answer in the section on toasting the oak, how long do you toast the wood in the oven to get full carmelization?

Thanks again,

Swede
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby kiwi-lembic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Redneck ..I appreciate how much time thats gone into this ..good on you and thanks so much ...i second the sticky thing .makes life easy when studying
man who cannot smile shouldnt open shop
kiwi-lembic

Equipment type: N.Z style, Alembic ,Bok and Copper Boilers ,4 models in building stage

Postby punkin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:43 am

Ok, i'll do it ya lazy bastards.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby BUCK-O » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

It was allready in the threads of Note by you punkin when you started
The thread :P
12 gallon pot still 30 foot worm
moonshine hooch home made alcohol white lightning
BUCK-O

Equipment type: 12 gal. pot

Postby punkin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:04 pm

:doh:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby kiwi-lembic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:00 pm

punkin wrote::doh:

You losing it Pun' :roflmao:...lets start with whats your name :roll:
man who cannot smile shouldnt open shop
kiwi-lembic

Equipment type: N.Z style, Alembic ,Bok and Copper Boilers ,4 models in building stage

Postby a7x » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I am very much interested in how you malt your wheat. Wheat is readily available around here and I would like to make wheat whiskey and vodka based on wheat allgrain.

avenged sevenfold
There Is a Hell. Believe Me, I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven, Let's Keep It a Secret.

Swede wrote:I do however quite enjoy the process of filtering it post bottling .................................. with my liver :P
a7x

Equipment type: 2" LM,VM and pot
15.5 gal keg

Postby Hammers » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:51 pm

a7x wrote:Thank you for taking the time to post this. I am very much interested in how you malt your wheat. Wheat is readily available around here and I would like to make wheat whiskey and vodka based on wheat allgrain.

avenged sevenfold

I'm on the same path, and found this:

How to build a tabletop malt house, sequence of pictures:
http://www.nogy.net/malthouse/

and the PDF of her report on malting and malthouses:
http://www.nogy.net/malthouse/malthouse.pdf

I'm sprouting a pound of wheat with this information right now. Per the OP 2 to 2 1/2 LBs are needed per gallon, so I'll be running 5 LBS of wheat 1 at a time, then mixing it 50:50 with unmalted wheat for a 5 gallon batch.
Hammers

Equipment type: $4 pressure cooker with a $50 liebig

Dirty, cheap and quick, but planning for a pint o' copper!

Postby a7x » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Hammers wrote:
a7x wrote:Thank you for taking the time to post this. I am very much interested in how you malt your wheat. Wheat is readily available around here and I would like to make wheat whiskey and vodka based on wheat allgrain.

avenged sevenfold

I'm on the same path, and found this:

How to build a tabletop malt house, sequence of pictures:
http://www.nogy.net/malthouse/

and the PDF of her report on malting and malthouses:
http://www.nogy.net/malthouse/malthouse.pdf

I'm sprouting a pound of wheat with this information right now. Per the OP 2 to 2 1/2 LBs are needed per gallon, so I'll be running 5 LBS of wheat 1 at a time, then mixing it 50:50 with unmalted wheat for a 5 gallon batch.

What great info! Thanks for posting it. A table top malthouse sounds like a fun weekend project.
There Is a Hell. Believe Me, I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven, Let's Keep It a Secret.

Swede wrote:I do however quite enjoy the process of filtering it post bottling .................................. with my liver :P
a7x

Equipment type: 2" LM,VM and pot
15.5 gal keg

Postby Casper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:16 am

This is great to learn some about wheat. Till now I've been using it for wheat vodka hoping for wheat gin. But my yield was so poor and now I can try again so thank you Red.

Once I get a good wheat whiskey, then start playing with a few adjuncts such as oats or rye, how do you manage the higher levels of proteins in all these soft grains? Wheat has far more proteins than I get from barley.

In my first wheat mash I was getting a lot of viscous glue which persists thru the fermentation, lasted 8 days, but still the glue and I still get a sugar reading. Do you think this might be proteins, reading like sugar? FG with a Brix meter shows 10° sugars (I started with 15°)
I didn't know to boil wheat. Would boiling fix this for me? Followed by rapid cooling to precipitate them out....

Can anyone tell me if ferments should be stopped after the primary, or left as I did till the end for a few weeks. I know it creates more esters but there are folks on here trying hard to infect their backset adding as many extra esters as they can.... And here's me aiming for a clean dry beer free of congeners. I had thought all good mash should have a primary crust, and should then be racked and stripped when the crust falls.
Casper

Equipment type: 36l ss stripping pot indoors on gas
55l beer keg for reflux or potstill spirit runs.
CCVM head (70mm SS tee and csst coils)
3" column 30" of copper, top half 30" in SS

Postby flintstone » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Good write-up BW. I have a distilling to-do list and now wheat is on there as well.
flintstone

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon as keg pot still

Previous

Return to Proven Recipes