• Advertisement

Grünne Nüsse

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Grünne Nüsse

Postby punkin » Fri May 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Mike has passed away the old bastard.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby just sayin' » Sun May 07, 2017 8:00 am

I thought that might be the case. Sorry to hear it though. Thanks Punkin!
just sayin'

Postby just sayin' » Tue May 30, 2017 2:22 pm

I picked three small black walnuts today. Most are the size of peas but the ones I found were slightly larger than an almond. I sliced them thin and put them in a little 50 ABV on a sunny windowsill. I will check the trees daily until they reach optimum size.
I hope many take this timely reminder to carry on Pints example!
I have missed it for years, but not this year, I will have something to share by Christmas!
just sayin'

Postby just sayin' » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53 pm

The three little walnuts are prodocing amazing flavor and aromas. I drove up to deer camp and picked 40 or 50 olive sized walnuts June 4th, they are in the freezer. I hope collect many many black walnuts at each stage until the shells start to harden. The flavor looks like it will be amazing. I will have a stash in the freezer to play with until next June.
Pint mentioned the added benefit of it putting lead in his pencil, so to speak, as an old fart that is an added reason to explore the wonders of black walnut extract.
I have missed the season for years. Take the reminder and the challenge, go pick some walnuts!!!
Just a friendly reminder I wish someone had given me in the last five, six, seven years.
Brothers in the land down under, sorry this timely reminder does not apply to you. I hope I will be able to remind you around Christmas Eve that this stuff is as good as it's reputation and it is time for you to pick the young nuts.
Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:19 pm

just sayin' wrote:
I have missed the season for years.
Just Sayin'

Sadly, that's 2 of us, brother. Ever since Micio Felice first told us about nocino. Damn!
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby just sayin' » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:05 am

Z-Bob, no reason to miss it this year! It might be a nice addition to Cutlas Bay Distillery's offerings. I would think there would be walnut farms in Washington State.
The flavor and aroma from the first three little walnuts is amazing. I chopped 60ish small, olive sized, nuts today and add added 190 proof. I didn't shake it, in a couple of hours a lovely neon green glow has risen a quarter inch above the nuts. The first little jar is not quite as dark as coffee with a green hint near the edges where the light comes through. I plan to pick nuts weekly until the shells harden to see what stage gives me optimum flavor. As an old fart, I am also interested in the "little blue pill effect" Pint described.
My timely advice to all reading this, go find a walnut tree near you! Don't waste another year!

Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Well, you convinced me. I have a couple of black walnut trees on the property. I was mowing grass a few days ago and noticed some small "olive" sized walnuts just beginning to come in.

Are you freezing them as soon as you pick? Any other special instructions for preserving them? I gotta get the CCVM finished so I can use them.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:19 pm

I went out and picked a few from low hanging limbs today - about 3 dozen, or so. That's a US quarter coin on the left for size reference.

Walnuts.jpg

I don't know how many I need for maybe a gallon, or so. Maybe I should go and read the recipe now and get some idea of how to proceed.
S-Cackalacky

Postby just sayin' » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Freezing them should keep them in prime condition until you are ready. I have seen recommendations to pre-freeze to improve extraction.
Mine went straight into the freezer to let ice crystals do their work disrupting cells walls. I froze my overnight, thawed and coursely chopped, transferred walnuts to a 1/2 gallon olive jar, they filled about a 1/3 of the jar and covered with 95 ABV to a little over 1/2 the jar's volume leaving plenty of headroom.
just sayin'

Postby punkin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Ive only ever halved or quartered them.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby just sayin' » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Punkin, you have done this before, please teach us! Pint is the only one with earlier knowledge than you. This is something on my to do list since I first came across Pint's post on HD maybe as early as 2009, but you were there in June of 2008 soon after the first post. I am greatly looking forward to tasting this mythical dram, but Pint commented on unexpected "side effects" his younger lady noticed. You responded noting the fear in your older companion's eyes upon reading Pint's post. I have to admit, eight years ago the "side effects" didn't really get my attention for more than a chuckle. Time has past and you have my attention: Does it work?
I have read everything I could find and Pint's is the only reference...

Back to to the other nuts. Most of what I have read referred to the traditional quartering or some times eights. I read one post by a woman who said she had played with Nocino for years and improved her results by chopping the nuts, more surface area more extraction. I know the tradition is on the evening of June 24th, John the Baptist birthday, six months to the day before the evening of Christ's birth, virgin's dressed in white climb the trees and pick an odd number of immature nuts...
I figured if it was impossible to find virgins maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal if I broke tradition and chopped these young nuts.
If anyone has spare a bevy of white clad virgins to loan me to keep it truly authentic I will be happy to give quartering a shot. By the way, if the mythical "side effect" is real, how do you ever find replacement virgins?
Sorry if this is beyond the normally high standards of our "Brotherhood of Outlaw Distillers"*
* a little Z-Bob lingo there...
just sayin'

Postby punkin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I don't know about the side effects, it was not my preffered tipple and i never drank enough for it to be noticed.

There is still some in the cupboard from those first few years, some i sweetened and some i didn't. If it's left on the nuts for long enough it goes jet black and kinda syrupy. It has a very bitter medicinal taste then, and those are the batches that i have added sweetening to some of.
It's still very strongly chocolate, kinda roasty and medicinal.
I also watered some down with neutral and that worked fine too.

punkin

Postby just sayin' » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:54 pm

I have read several accounts that said it is getting prime at around five years.
just sayin'

Postby Pikey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:31 pm

punkin wrote:I don't know about the side effects, it was not my preffered tipple and i never drank enough for it to be noticed.

There is still some in the cupboard from those first few years, some i sweetened and some i didn't. If it's left on the nuts for long enough it goes jet black and kinda syrupy. It has a very bitter medicinal taste then, and those are the batches that i have added sweetening to some of.
It's still very strongly chocolate, kinda roasty and medicinal.
I also watered some down with neutral and that worked fine too.

THat's what happened to mine - with only 13 nuts. I tasted it after about a year, then put the lid back on and put it back on the shelf after declaring it "undrinkable" - I did wonder about "thinning it with more spirit, but that's as far as it got.
Pikey

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:53 pm

This seems to be getting mixed reviews as far as flavor goes. I think I'll proceed with caution and just make a quart, or so, to begin with.
S-Cackalacky

PreviousNext

Return to Proven Recipes