• Advertisement

Nocino

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Nocino

Postby punkin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm

More info in the Grunne Nuisse thread Joe.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby loneswinger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 am

Joe Legate wrote:Very intrigued. I have added this this to my "Must try very soon" list.
Damn. I love walnuts!
Thanks for the great information!

A friend of mine's parents live in Walla Walla and have two gigantic black walnut trees on their property. I was planning on picking a couple of boxes this June to make some nocino. When I come to visit your distillery this summer I can probably bring you some if you don't have access to green walnuts.

Am I suppose to pick them from the tree? Or after they have fallen? Picking from the tree may prove problematic because these things must be 100 feet tall and are just massive in every other dimension as well.

-Loneswinger
We received our education in the cities of the nation, me and Paul
loneswinger

Postby loneswinger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Apparently if you don't expose the nocino to air it will stay green. If you could somehow macerate, filter, and bottle it in an oxygen free environment it would be green in the bottle and turn black in your glass. Now that would be a cool product. Does anybody own or have access to a glovebox?

-Loneswinger
loneswinger

Postby punkin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 pm

You have to pick them from the tree when they are unripe. You're using the fruit and the immature nut rather than just the nut.

I have a glove box, but it's a still air glove box. Just easy as to make from a tote box with two hand holes drilled in it. It'd be simple enough to introduce a sheathing gas other than oxygen if that's what you wanted. Argon or nitrogen or CO2 or some such.

stillairbox1.jpg
stillairbox1.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 4614 times

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby loneswinger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 pm

punkin wrote:You have to pick them from the tree when they are unripe. You're using the fruit and the immature nut rather than just the nut.

I have a glove box, but it's a still air glove box. Just easy as to make from a tote box with two hand holes drilled in it. It'd be simple enough to introduce a sheathing gas other than oxygen if that's what you wanted. Argon or nitrogen or CO2 or some such.

Yep, I figured I would have to use a lift or climb the damn thing to get them.

The tote box-glove box is a good idea, I can't imagine I will build one just so that my drink changes color as it sits, but you never know.

-Loneswinger
loneswinger

Postby adama » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:59 pm

The Nocino I'm making with cinnamon has the most sludge in it.
Before using paper coffee filters, I pour the liquid through a fine s/s sieve bought cheaply at a $2 shop.
Attachments
ultra fine strainer.jpg
ultra fine strainer.jpg (149.5 KiB) Viewed 4598 times
adama

Postby Joe Legate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 pm

loneswinger wrote:Yep, I figured I would have to use a lift or climb the damn thing to get them. -Loneswinger

I have a chainsaw but that might create other problems depending upon how badly you want to keep your friendship.

I don't think I have seen a walnut tree in Northwestern Montana. This could be another fun hunt.

Oh, and Thanks for the "Grunne Nuisse" hint, Punkin. Very exciting stuff. I still have a lot of reading to do but the information here is excellent.
"What is life but a series of inspired follies? The difficulty is to find them to do. Never lose a chance: it doesn't come every day." GBShaw
Joe Legate

Postby punkin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:45 pm

You are very welcome. I should have put a link in.

Grunne Nuisse

punkin

Postby Rebel_Yell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm

loneswinger wrote:Yep, I figured I would have to use a lift or climb the damn thing to get them.
-Loneswinger

Get an apple picking pole.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Oracle » Sun May 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Order placed with:

Haag Farm (just like last year).

Should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Plan to simplify this year and go with just two recipe variations and then infuse some Marsala wine with one batch of recovered walnuts. Then, after recovering the "spent" walnuts, I will run the two batches through the still to see how the Marsala affects the walnut distillate. I am also going to sacrifice one batch of the nocino by running it through the still. Love to experiment...

Aside from commercial nocino (and variants) and other nut liqueurs, I have not seen anything on the market quite like the distillate derived from the recovered walnuts. Anyone else come across something similar?
"she got me coming through the dog door..."
Oracle

Equipment type: 5 liter copper alembic with propylene glycol "double boiler"
13 liter copper alembic, water seal
35 liter electric "water heater" boiler with stripping and VM columns/heads

Postby Bobtuse » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm

It's that time of year again, I just put up my nocino batch for 2012.

Not much different to report this year, It keeps turning out good so I don't want to mess with it. Only variance is that the walnuts seem to be further along in maturity than last years batch. I have a hunch last years were picked too early. They were picked at two different times, and while I should have done them as separate batches to be scientific about it, I just threw them all together. I did set aside a quart jar of straight nuts for Grunne Nusse, and the reason I think they were too early is because this jar never colored up. It was a pale amber after a year of soaking. and really didnt have much taste to it.

This years batch, the nut meat was distinct and on some the brownish skin typical of a mature walnut was starting to show. The batch colored up right quick. Im secretly hoping this results in a richer flavor.

That is the nice thing about doing a recipe over and over, you start to notice the details.

BoB
Honey, "check to see if my nuts are still there, I can't feel my nuts!"
Bobtuse

Equipment type: 15.5 Gal modified SS keg boiler
Propane
Pot head
48"packed 2" copper VM column

Postby just sayin' » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:54 pm

I sure hope I remember to harvest some green black walnuts this years! Been wanting to give this a try for years but never remember in time to harvest the immature nuts.
Someone's tag line here read "My short pencil will beat your long memory every time." I put a note in my phone and post-it note on the frig, now all I have to do is remember to look at the note.
just sayin'

Postby Pikey » Wed May 03, 2017 5:57 am

That reminds me - I've got a jar somewhere with 13 walnuts I "scrumped" in June 2014 or 2015, still sittin' in whatever white dog I used at the time. :doh:

I did taste it around 6 months in and it was "unusual"

Suppose I'd better dig it out and make a decision !
Pikey

Postby just sayin' » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Today is St. John the Baptist day, the traditional day to harvest the green walnuts. I finally remembered.
just sayin'

Previous

Return to Proven Recipes