• Advertisement

Dunder pits

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Dunder pits

Postby Smaug » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:42 am

How does it smell Al?
Did you steal a sample to evaluate clarity?
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Al Qaemist » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 am

lwtcs wrote:How does it smell Al?
Did you steal a sample to evaluate clarity?

It still smells great lwtcs, didn't take a sample but it looks good at the top anyway. I was wondering if the fizzing was down to yeast if I could get a natural wild fermentation, but if its something else, I might want to pitch the hell out of my next wash so the yeast would (hopefully) overwhelm whatever else is going on with the dunder.

I think a couple of small washes are in order to see whats what, rather than risk a load of molasses being ruined.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, bubble ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Postby punkin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:27 pm

In cider and wine you can get a lactic fermentation after the initial fermentation. The lacto feed on the ethanol in there and convert malic acids to lactic acids i think. In your case that's not an issue.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Beerswimmer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Back in the saddle, have a pit I've been adding to for the past couple months. It smells heavenly and I have used it in 2 batches already. I added a gallon to the boiler before a single run. Soooo good!!!
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby Shine0n » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:37 am

Bringing this back to life!

I've been on a rum kick and instead of an infected wash I use the infected dunder in the low wines at 25% total volume on the spirit run.

I'll post my recipe and then the process in which I use the dunder.

RUM
Shine0n

Postby Shine0n » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 am

RUM-15-17 GALLON
18 lbs dark brown sugar
2 gallon feed grade molasses
1/2 cup bakers yeast

use enough hot water to disolve sugar and moll, take half wash/water (1/2 gal) stir in yeast.
use jet nozzle on garden hose and aerate the crap out of it. let the starter double in size and add to the fermenter, cover, hold temp at 90+f and in 4 days should be finished.
Strip in a pot still to 10% or lower if you like.
Shine0n

Postby Shine0n » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 am

After you have stripped enough low wines to fill boiler and thumper down to 35% , take 25% infected dunder and add to the low wines for about a 30% run.

I do a med paced spirit run and usually retrieve 50-65% spirit for aging, the process allows me to control the infection without the chance of ruining a whole batch of wash just in case shit happens.
I've done 4 infected pits with great success but the most are better for blending than just a drinking rum but are very tasty in their own rights
Shine0n

Postby ElectricEd » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 pm

I've been using dunder for 3 years now. 10% of the next ferment comes from the dunder. About 1 litre is left in the dunder cubie to reinfect the next lot of cooled backset.
I didn't like rum at all until I tasted the wooded 5th generation. My reaction was "Wow! There's something going on here!"
From then on every generation had a noticeable improvement.
The 10th generation has been wooded and I'll be waiting about 4 months until it's ready.
Dunder is the way. :D
Tax?
What's that?
ElectricEd

Equipment type: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2 x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Shine0n » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:06 pm

I truly believe that too!

Have you tried it in the low wines for a spirit run? I've found I can control the flavor very well this way, I have a couple different infections and been playing with it all summer.

I have a base rum ferment and is awesome by itself but with the addition of dunder it's amazing.

I'm going to keep experimenting with rums because they are easy, cheaper and very good.
Shine0n

Postby ElectricEd » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 pm

No, I haven't tried it in the low wines for a spirit run. Could you give me an idea of what quantity to use for 45 litres of stripped rum wash?
Tax?
What's that?
ElectricEd

Equipment type: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2 x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Shine0n » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

I think 25% is good but not for everyone, I personally like a very bold, strong flavorful rum.

Some like Bacardi style rums and I have never been a rum fan until I went to Jamaica a few years back and tasted some very bold high ester rum.

I think rum should have flavors, lots of high esters and that's when I started making RUM and just this year found my own recipe and started to play with infected dunder, percentages and low wines % to dunder ratios.

it's still a hit ir
Shine0n

Postby Shine0n » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:44 pm

sorry, hit or miss with some but the base rum is where to start.
I run a thumper on my stripping runs so my low wines have to be diluted a bit to get to 35% that's when I add my dunder for 25% total volume.
Say 10 gallons low wines I'll add 2 gallons dunder for a spirit run and if I have enough low wines to fill the thumper I'll have a 24 gallon spirit run and get 10 gallons of barrel proof rum. Give or take on the cuts but on average I return 50-60% on a spirit run.
Shine0n

Previous

Return to Proven Recipes