• Advertisement

Dixie's Cinnamon Applecrack

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Dixie's Cinnamon Applecrack

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:58 pm

punkin wrote:Or an artificial non fermentable sweetner :oops:

That thought's crossed my mind, too, Punkin. A lot of people piss and moan about artificial sweeteners, but I'm a diabetic-in-training, and I've always got Splenda(sucralose) on hand, and I think it tastes just fine.

We only got about 8 gallons of cider from our apples, but I just may try half a dozen champagne bottles of Splenda cider.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby punkin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm insulin dependent diabetic, but i found some sugarless sweetner cheap in the supermarket one time for a kegged alchoholic lemonade i did.

http://www.sugarlessaustralia.com/sugarlessinf.htm

Not a flavour to rave about, but it is cheap, sweet and nonfermentable. :roll:

SortaLikeCoffeeWithWhitnerPunkin

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby roadmonkeytj » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Izzy_Britton wrote:I have a batch of this on the stove now. I changed my original recipe in 3 ways. normally when changing a recipe its beneficial to change the recipe in one way and try taste it. then change the next batch and again taste it. and so on and so forth. i have done it this way for my version of apple pie and my Kahlua recipe. the Kahlua needs no change. it is perfection the way it is.

so this batch i changed the apple juice brand from el-cheapo(2$gal) to very-expensiveo(11$gal). in doing this i am under the assumption that the better the juice the better the final product.

i have been using brown sugar in the past but it seems to have always been missing something. tonight i opted for white cane sugar and lil bit o honey. I think the initial taste test of boiling apple juice and additives seems to be good but might be a little too much, the brand of apple juice i used this time is generally very sweet and the taste is my favorite. once she cools and the rest goes in i will update tomorrow if anyone is interested.

UPDATE: very bad decision. nasty! wont do that again i dont think. ruined 2 gallons of good apple juice. :shock:

I'm not sure what you did that this didn't work - I use a gallon of premium cider and gallon of good juice - 3 cup pure cane with 1 cup light brown sugar. I do use honey and have no issues. I heat at full heat the cinnamon sticks and both gallons after it begins to warm I add about a 1/3 cup pure honey and keep stirring once the heat is warm all the way almost hot add the sugar mix stir till fully dissolved. Bring just to boil - I take it off the heat right before it boils. Let cool remove sticks and add licker. Now I do add a couple ingredients that I wont share here because I have a bartender trying to replicate my recipe with no avail. I have a small devote following that are constantly wanting my version, They have tried to make it themselves and can come nowhere near - maybe one day I'll share my secrets lol. Now a note using a premium cider will have more "sediment" you can strain this out after a week through a sheet or you can leave it in. I prefer to leave it in it will settle to the bottom of the carboy and you can pour off the top with no issues - just don't shake the jug. Mine comes out looking like cider and smelling like pie.
roadmonkeytj

Postby Izzy_Britton » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:45 pm

roadmonkeytj wrote:I'm not sure what you did that this didn't work - I use a gallon of premium cider and gallon of good juice - 3 cup pure cane with 1 cup light brown sugar. I do use honey and have no issues. I heat at full heat the cinnamon sticks and both gallons after it begins to warm I add about a 1/3 cup pure honey and keep stirring once the heat is warm all the way almost hot add the sugar mix stir till fully dissolved. Bring just to boil - I take it off the heat right before it boils. Let cool remove sticks and add licker. Now I do add a couple ingredients that I wont share here because I have a bartender trying to replicate my recipe with no avail. I have a small devote following that are constantly wanting my version, They have tried to make it themselves and can come nowhere near - maybe one day I'll share my secrets lol. Now a note using a premium cider will have more "sediment" you can strain this out after a week through a sheet or you can leave it in. I prefer to leave it in it will settle to the bottom of the carboy and you can pour off the top with no issues - just don't shake the jug. Mine comes out looking like cider and smelling like pie.

I have since made a few changes to my recipe. the end result is pure perfection. tastes just like grandmas apple pie with a kick that sneaks up on you and bites ya in the ass.

I am now working on a new stronger recipe, made completely different.

P.S. And I now filter all of my pie thru a sediment filer at 1 micron. makes for a beautiful bottled product that tastes every bit as wonderful as it looks.
I Z Z Y
I wrote:Being broke with ideas sucks
Izzy_Britton

Equipment type: NO Equipment :(

Postby roadmonkeytj » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:34 pm

mind sharing a link to your filter?
roadmonkeytj

Postby Izzy_Britton » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:25 pm

roadmonkeytj wrote:mind sharing a link to your filter?

I just use a one of these: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11825687&kw=water+filter&origkw=water+filter&searchId=60932334333

with the proper hose barb fittings and a 1 micron filter element. these are from ace hardware. there are several different types. this is the clear bodied one, i have a white plastic type one. the filter elements are also available at ace for about 5$ each.

pushed from a corney keg thru the filter and bottle directly from the output side of the filter using a bottling wand.
I Z Z Y
I wrote:Being broke with ideas sucks
Izzy_Britton

Equipment type: NO Equipment :(

Postby eddieb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 am

There is the local version I use under the "Apple Pie" thread. It was it's own thread, but was moved. It is very similar to this. I add pie filling and leave the cinnamon sticks in the jar while it "cures" in the fridge. Give it a try. It's foolproof and very good. The peach pie is better in my opinion. I posted the recipe for it too. (also strawberry) I use 190 proof neutral that I let air out for a week before I use it.
eddieb

Postby New_moonshiner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:42 am

Any input on how say Splenda would work as a sweetener instead of sugar for like say a panty dropper ? I prefer the thinner taste myself . Does it mix ok ?
3"X42" copper VLM Compound Still, SS Wool packed, SS Keg, Propane fired.
New_moonshiner

Postby just sayin' » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Splenda works fine, my wife moved from Splenda to Stevia to monk fruit. We had mixed results with stevia, one from Sam's club was nasty. I grow spearmint and stevia, a few sprigs of each muddled in a glass make a fine mint julep.
just sayin'

Postby New_moonshiner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:24 pm

thank you for the input , much appreciated :8)
3"X42" copper VLM Compound Still, SS Wool packed, SS Keg, Propane fired.
New_moonshiner

Previous

Return to Proven Recipes