• Advertisement

Oat whiskey

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Oat whiskey

Postby trthskr4 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:25 am

Oats are definitely for oak lovers.
Maybe.....Chicken tastes like everything else.
trthskr4

Equipment type: Pot still w/Liebeg on a 15.5 Gal. keg.
Charles 803 w/ 50 Gal. boiler.

Postby punkin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:07 pm

punkin wrote:
TXnational wrote:Those of you that have made Oat Whiskey, what would you say about the flavor? Is it preferable?

Well i fetched it down like i said i would.

Label says 'The Buisness, Oat Mash 3, 12/8/08, 42%'.

There is such little flavour from the spirit, but what is there is a smooth melding with the oak. :)

It's lightly oaked and i have taken thesticks out (unusual for me) so it is a straw coulor.

I think that the oak sticks were in there for quite a while, but it was just one of those spirits that didn't take on a lot of oak quickly. :wink:

The flavour is mild and creamy, quite watery... the oak , as i said melds in cleanly. A very smooth spirit and definately not even a little bit bite of bite Worm, but possibly not what you are looking for if you are loooking for a particular flavour.... :roll:

All in al a very good spirit for those who don't like the 'shudder' you might get from oher grains :cry:

ButNotForScotchLoversPunkin

Sorry, that date reads in the Aussie style rather than the northern one. It is 12th of August 08, should have said that. :oops:

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby mtnwalker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Punkin,

Fantastic description. I found it very easy to over oak even in just a few weeks as it overppowers the mild oat flavor.

Served white after a month of rest, it has become the ladies and the vodka lovers favorite around here. Much preferred over even some of the great vodkas.
3" X 54" SS reflux column with copper, a pot column, and a quarter and a half keg pots, propane fired.
mtnwalker

Postby punkin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:31 am

Yes, certainly the smoothest alchohol i've ever drank as far as not having the 'burn'. Goes down like water....maybe i should float it again to make sure... :mg: :o :?

edit; Well there ya go. had me intrigued after rehashing it again, so i did.

If it walks like a duck i thought...

turns out it is a duck...after checking it with two alchometers...just over 20% :o :shock:

I don't know how it's possible, or i do know how i just don't undestand when or who or even why?

Checked a few other bottles and jars of allgrain from the same era and the same cupboard (my 'one of every batch hidden sample' cupboard) and they are all fine, just this one bottle...

Went back through my notes, it was two strips and a 5l spirit run that gave me a yield starting at 54% and running down to 24%.

Clearly at some stage it's been half emptied and refilled with water.....

But it's got me fucked who, how or why. No teenagers here, no bulk gone or anything. :doh:

Apologies for the dodgy review, guess i'll have to brew some more oats.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Mud » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:34 am

All the booze you make and give away, and somebody decided to screw around? It's kind of funny.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby trthskr4 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:51 am

Maybe it was so good you thought it had to be stolen and refilled the bottle and put it back in the cupboard thinking you'd stay out of trouble for a while.

trthskr4 has done dumber things when inebriated.
Maybe.....Chicken tastes like everything else.
trthskr4

Equipment type: Pot still w/Liebeg on a 15.5 Gal. keg.
Charles 803 w/ 50 Gal. boiler.

Postby vb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 am

punkin wrote:turns out it is a duck...after checking it with two alchometers...just over 20% :o :shock:

sounds like my stepdads Rum, when I was a kid.
by the time he got to the bottom of the bottle it was mostly water :lol: :lol:
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby mikejwoodnz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:37 pm

punkin wrote:Yes, certainly the smoothest alchohol i've ever drank as far as not having the 'burn'. Goes down like water....maybe i should float it again to make sure... :mg: :o :?

edit; Well there ya go. had me intrigued after rehashing it again, so i did.

If it walks like a duck i thought...

turns out it is a duck...after checking it with two alchometers...just over 20% :o :shock:

I don't know how it's possible, or i do know how i just don't undestand when or who or even why?

Checked a few other bottles and jars of allgrain from the same era and the same cupboard (my 'one of every batch hidden sample' cupboard) and they are all fine, just this one bottle...

Went back through my notes, it was two strips and a 5l spirit run that gave me a yield starting at 54% and running down to 24%.

Clearly at some stage it's been half emptied and refilled with water.....

But it's got me fucked who, how or why. No teenagers here, no bulk gone or anything. :doh:

Apologies for the dodgy review, guess i'll have to brew some more oats.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

"and running down to 24%".
Sounds like you may have bottled the tails after a few samples :roflmao:

Edited to add: I thnk that's funny because I have done that.
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby punkin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:57 pm

There was only one bottle.

The total low wines were only 5l.

punkin

Postby Cedar Grove » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:56 pm

I grabbed a Bag of rolled Oats from Tractor Supply to try. I'm going to do it with Enzymes, and no additional Sugar.
I think the TL enzyme added at the start will keep the Viscosity down. I tied about 1# of Oats with the HTL and TL enzyme added in cold Water and brought to a simmer last night. The oats did split open, but never did turn to a goopy mess. I'm check the cooled result when I get Home Today.

Other than ease of use, are flaked Oats any better? Maybe better Conversion and of course final Yield.
I'll separate the Oats from the Liquid after Fermentation, and leave plenty of Headroom in the Fermenter. A half full 35 Gallon drum, should keep from making a Mess. I just need to figure out how to post pictures on the Forum, is there a Tutorial? I know how to take them, but posting is a different Story.
Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Equipment type: 15.5 Gallon Keg Boiler, 3" Diameter 40" Tall Column, Stainless Shell and Tube Condenser

Postby BlueFlame » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 pm

oats are hard to remove from the beer. i would try using rice hulls with it and maybe place it all in a paint strainer bag. Let drain over night from fermentor bucket drain with a good clean hose to a covered fermentor bucket after its fermented, let settle and take the most clear beer strained with a cloth to catch some extra solids. I dont think ive ever used more than 20% oats in my grain mix because of it. I put the oats in there own smaller bag. Its been a while now that I made anything to drink... need to make a run again soon.... Good luck with your oat mash
"somebody call me a doctor, i need a shot!"
BlueFlame

Equipment type: ss milk can "propane" with about 3' of 2" copper colume and liebeg cooler. getting ready for over haul.

Previous

Return to Proven Recipes