• Advertisement

Dunder pits

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Dunder pits

Postby kenfyoozed » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:40 pm

down the drain gets you nothing.... now come on. I would agree with this logic, but what do you have to loose by running it one time? Just your time and then energy to run it. If it were mine id run it just for the hell of it.....never know, it might be good. Then again it might not!
Pint, I HATE you!
Don't mind me, I'm just the village idiot.
Craft of Whisky Distilling. I like the pics.-
http://www.distilling.com/PDF/craftbook.pdf
kenfyoozed

Equipment type: Pot stiller

Postby Moscca » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:42 pm

I'am going to start again with a dunderpit.
My idea is putting some pieces of cane in the dunder and from time to time letting it breath a bit though a coffee filter to keep the flies out.
Good idea ?

M.
Moscca

Postby Redrum » Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 am

Well I used the aged dunder and I am blown away at how much different the finished ferment smelled. It was amazing smelling. Super sweet and just real deep and rich! Very much different than some of my other ferments.
How I used it was I siphoned a gallon into a plastic jug and froze it for 2 days to kill off the bugs. Then I thawed it out and added it + 2 gallons of fresh dunder to my ferment of 1.090 Brown sugar and fancy molasses. My wash is about 14 gallons total volume, I am only on my second strip run right now as its just getting done but I intend on running my spirit run this coming weekend and then starting 1 more ferment using the aged dunder.

Now onto my questions...
I have pulled 2 gallons of dunder from my pit for 2 ferments and replaced with 1 gallon first time and 2 the second (I want a little more in case I want to step up my volume at some point) Really how long should I wait to use the dunder pit again. I am sure it is going to take a while to infect the fresh dunder I just put in there, right? I want to give it a chance for the bugs to do their job but I also dont want to wait another 6-8 months to start another ferment...
Any ideas?

So who else is using their infected dunder pits?

RR
Redrum

Equipment type: Working on a stripping still....

Postby midwest shinner » Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 am

Just started my first dunder pit here. I've got it up in the attic of my garage as I don't think even with the cool days we have had here on and off that it ever gets below 85 degrees up there, and certainly is much warmer on hot days. In order to help speed things along and ensure I'm getting the proper bacterias, I added a small cup of yogurt, a little bit of grated emmentaler cheese, and a small handful of malted barley for some lacto. Nothing to do now but wait...
Now some take delight in fishin' and bowlin'
And others take delight in carriages a-rollin'
But I take delight in the juice of the barley
And courtin' pretty girls in the morning so early
midwest shinner

Equipment type: 25L Copper alembic pot still with a thumper, 15.5 gal keg boiler with a 2" pot still head, currently working on a 2" Boka as well

Postby midwest shinner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Haven't checked my pit for about a week or so, but last i saw the only thing developing was a lacto from the tiny handful of malt i chucked in. Has anyone else successfully used lacto in their dunder pit? I'm just kinda thinking i should have left the lacto out of this...
midwest shinner

Equipment type: 25L Copper alembic pot still with a thumper, 15.5 gal keg boiler with a 2" pot still head, currently working on a 2" Boka as well

Postby kenfyoozed » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 am

Not sure if the lacto can survive the acidity of the pit. I know for my pit I use a corney keg and close the lid to keep bugs out. Now it's under pressure from some bacteria. Pint said it was fine so I can't wait for another rum run. It's been aging for a year so it should be great.
Pint, I HATE you!
kenfyoozed

Postby sugarcreek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 am

Did you make a spunding valve or just bleed of the pressure periodically?
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby midwest shinner » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 am

So would it be best to just keep my pit under airlock(mines in an old spare fermenter) so I don't have to worry bout letting out the pressure from time to time?
midwest shinner

Postby kenfyoozed » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am

sugarcreek wrote:Did you make a spunding valve or just bleed of the pressure periodically?

No i didnt relieve the pressure, so now its still under pressure and ill have to take it outside so as not to make a mess when I release the pressure.... or have the kids do it :roflmao:
Pint, I HATE you!
kenfyoozed

Postby Moscca » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 am

I tried 2 times now a dunder pit and it did not work out. The flies are laying eggs in it and a few day's later the worms are crawling out of it.

worms.JPG

Now I keep my dunder sealed and it is amazing the fruty, banana, ananas smell that comes from it after a few weeks.
I use 20 % of it and it is amazing the fruty smell that comes from it during the fermentation.
I heat the aged dunder till 80 C. The smell is decreasing by heating.
I read here that freezing is an option, will try it out.

M.
Moscca

Postby Smaug » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Moscca wrote:Now I keep my dunder sealed and it is amazing the fruty, banana, ananas smell that comes from it after a few weeks.
I use 20 % of it and it is amazing the fruty smell that comes from it during the fermentation.
I heat the aged dunder till 80 C. The smell is decreasing by heating.
I read here that freezing is an option, will try it out.

WTG Moscca.
I do let my spent beer cool after a run then transfer vessels a time or two by pouring. I am trying to put some oxygen back into the liquid and also hoping to inoculate the liquid with micro flora. I am not sure if this is a total benefit but so far it does not at all appear to be a liability.
Then I lock it down to keep out the bugs.
IMO, the forthcoming mold structure simply does not need much oxygen to thrive. And it is possible that the added heat here in the hot months eliminates the competitive mold? I know that I can grow a wonderfully dense mold structure that renders the dunder very clear in appearance and very floral on the nose in two weeks within a 32c garage. No need at all to wait months on end......IMO.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Moscca » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Lwtcs, can't agree more. Even after one week the smell of the dunder is already so frutal !!
I smell the difference already in the fermentation process when you use aged dunder.
I'm rather new to distilling (< 1 year) and tried different things, panella, fresh cane juice, molasses.
Now i will stick to molasses for a few months, so I have less variables.
Molasses was the last thing to try out, but I think I found my personal favorite.
I think there is no way around black strap to build a heavy bodied rum

M.
Moscca

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 am

Woohoo on the blackstrap!
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Al Qaemist » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:09 am

Its been unusually hot here for a few weeks - 24-26oC (not really that hot, but hotter than I'm used to in these parts for extended period) So its been over 30oC in garage.

The nice thick mold cap that was on my pit a few weeks back has died back a bit (or more likely sunk below the surface) reveling the clear, silky looking dunder. The unusual thing is it now fizzing like its fermenting.

Has anyone had this? Is this more the norm in hotter climates, or is something else going on here.

I'm just surprised as I cant imagine there was much sugar left in the dunder to begin with.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, 64mm Proportional Splitter, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, bubble ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Postby kenfyoozed » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 am

I havent seen the fizzing, but mine is now under pressure so some"fizzing" had to be created to make this possible. Pint mentioned that is was type of lacto? that could handle the temps and acidity. Maybe he can better explain it.
Pint, I HATE you!
kenfyoozed

PreviousNext

Return to Proven Recipes