• Advertisement

Pop's Baked Sweet Corn Mash aka PBS

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Pop's Baked Sweet Corn Mash aka PBS

Postby Pop Larkin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm

I just cooked up another batch this time using canned sweet corn. I drained the cans & used the water to blend the baked corn. I think this is where if fucked up! I went on & cooked the blended baked corn with the usual amount of brown sugar. Cooked for an hour, let cool to 154, pitched enzymes, re heated to 160 & let cool over night. However, in the morning there wasn't the usual separation to the wash like I always get. I thought maybe the enzymes were old so I went out & got a new jar, re pitched, re heated, let cool etc etc etc. This morning there is still no separation so I can only surmise that the water in the canned sweet corn contained to much salt & somehow buggered up the conversion. :x
Next time I will use the canned sweet corn again but discard the canned water & rinse the corn well. I have used canned sweet corn in the past & never had an issue. :?
Also of note is the OG. This time I only achieved 1.060. Almost without fail I get 1.070 or higher with this same recipe. This leads me to think that I am getting additional fermentable sugars from conversion (just not with this batch though). :D
I am going to run this wash anyway as it tastes OK & there is enough sugar in there to ferment out. As this is an "all corn" PBS, it will be interesting to see if this gives me the flavor of the last batch of "all corn" I did by mistake & I liked so well.

TheR&DContinues POP
"It's an old trick but it just might work"
Pop Larkin

Equipment type: 100 cup coffee urn Pot Still with "RumBull" style Scotch Sankey head.

Postby likkerluvver » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Pop Larkin wrote:.....This morning there is still no separation so I can only surmise that the water in the canned sweet corn contained to much salt & somehow buggered up the conversion. :x
Next time I will use the canned sweet corn again but discard the canned water & rinse the corn well. I have used canned sweet corn in the past & never had an issue. :?POP

Funny you should mention this Pop....

Earlier today I was in a WallyWorld USA store looking at the canned veg shelves - Sweet Corn in particular - when I thought of you and your PBS (which I followed from your initial thoughts last spring) and decided to give it a go.

I picked up 7 15.25oz cans of NO SALT ADDED Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn for 67c per can for a 6 usg wash. That's $4.02 for 6 cans

FYI, here is the Can Info:
Serving size 1/2 C (125g)
Total Fat 1.5g
Sodium 10mg
Potassium 160mg
Total Carbs 9g (Dietary fibre 2g, Sugars 7g)
Protein 2g

The price is right, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on using this with/without the juice - as opposed to regular canned corn.
LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.

likkerluvver

Equipment type: 3" pot, 4" bubbler

Postby Pop Larkin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Likkerluvver

If I were you, I would still empty the water out of the cans & really rinse the corn well. I'm not sure if adding the can water to the mash buggered it up but I figure it ain't worth the risk. Bake the corn until you see some of the kernels start to brown & harden. At that point turn the oven off & blend with rain water. Boil your corn soup, back-set, sugar & rain water for a good hour, cool to 154 & pitch either enzymes or malt barley. I'm REALLY liking the "all corn" PBS but its up to you what you use to convert the starches. Either way, let sit for a hour & re-heat to 160 & leave to cool over night. You should see distinct separation if it goes right. At that point make sure the mash is 80 degrees-ish & pitch your yeast. I use EC1118 but use what ever you have at hand.

Let me know how it works out for you!!!

GoodChoiceOfRecipeThere POP
Pop Larkin

Equipment type: 100 cup coffee urn Pot Still with "RumBull" style Scotch Sankey head.

Postby mort4 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 am

I've done 4 batches on this recipe so far, we've had a cold spell and I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now on #5 so will be a while before my spirit run. Anyway, I was tempted to use the juice from the can because it is very flavorful, so I was saving the juice thinking I'd add it after the ferment got going. I never got the nerve to pour it in there. But if it was salt-free I'd maybe consider it.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby kiwi-lembic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Pop ,,love the concept of this reciepe .ive just been given some sacks of corn cobs so it seams rude not to process them ,we can purchase flaked maize here in n.z..sacks roughly $60 nz 25 kg .Rude not to use what surrounds me although a little more work to process ,,guess ill start by drying the cobs and stripping them ,then wet the conels and get those wee starches and sugars dancin and take it from there,sort of just follow natures steps for best starch conversions ..great topic youve written here ,,thanks for this
all else fails its off to the grocery store to raid the corn in a can shelves lol
man who cannot smile shouldnt open shop
kiwi-lembic

Equipment type: N.Z style, Alembic ,Bok and Copper Boilers ,4 models in building stage

Postby Pop Larkin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Kiwi

If it were me I would re- hydrate the corn cobs, shuck the kernels off the cob then bake the kernels as I do above. You will have to make sure they are good & hydrated though. I would also save the cob & cut up into small pieces & put into your BOP when cooking up the mash. Pinto once told me, if my memoir serves me correctly, that the cob has a good amount of potential convertible starches in them.

JustAThough POP
Pop Larkin

Postby kiwi-lembic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 pm

very cool Pop ..havnt read that one before ..really appreciate that .. ill let you know how it goes ..take care .Kiwi-L
man who cannot smile shouldnt open shop
kiwi-lembic

Equipment type: N.Z style, Alembic ,Bok and Copper Boilers ,4 models in building stage

Postby mort4 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:30 am

Finally getting to do my spirit run on this, seems pretty tasty so far. The last wash got a butyric infection, which I stripped but it didn't fit into the boiler for this spirit run anyway.
I'm just getting to the hearts.Nice! :)
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.

Postby Pop Larkin » Sun May 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Hey Mort

How do you think it stacks up against, say a UJSM run???

HopeIt'sFavorable POP
Pop Larkin

Postby mort4 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:07 pm

:D I'd say it's the best tasting,or most flavorful, that I've made, at least right off the worm. I wonder how long I'll be able to let it age :roll: I will try to put most of it away.
mort4

Postby mort4 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Well I did put a gallon away, it's been 8 months.I don't have the language but it is a richer, rounder flavor than a UJSM. I may have cut in too much tails but that seems to be mellowing out.
If your looking for a new angle this is a fun recipe :8)
mort4

Postby Pop Larkin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Glad your likin' it Mort !!!!!!
Iv'e been sampling some myself over the Christmas period that I have had on oak for the last 18 months. Its better than the UJSM that I have made but it's still falls far short of what I want to produce.
I really think that the whole secret is in the way we age the product. Id say that my white dog PBS is damn close to the commercial white dog I have sampled, so it is my reckoning that the aging process is what really gives the whiskey's, & especially Bourbon's their character.
Now that our mega kitchen re model is nearly finished, I will once again be concentrating on my hobby. I have a 50 gal JD barrel that I intend to fill with 65% & leave alone up in the attic for a minimum of 2 years. I hope that this will prove to me once & for all my suspicions that the real character comes from the Oak.

It'sMySTory&ImSTickingToIt POP
Pop Larkin

Postby vb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:12 pm

hmm, I guess I ought to make some up for barrel aging
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby mort4 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:06 pm

I won't do it again until I have room for another 15 gallon fermenter(I did 6 Gal ferments). That way I'd have a reasonable chance of filling a 5G barrel. There's enough extra work involved compared to UJ, and it's got a lot of potential. Might as well see what it can become.
mort4

Postby shortbed454 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 pm

just wanted to say hats off to you pops. i just finished running my second attempt at this recipe. i cant believe how good this tastes. the corn flavor comes over in an exelent way. you are the man. just put a 6 gal. batch together. hope it turns out as good as my 3 gal. batch did.
60% of the time, it works every time!
shortbed454

PreviousNext

Return to Proven Recipes