• Advertisement

Grünne Nüsse

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Grünne Nüsse

Postby pintoshine » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:15 pm

I think you need to check your facts on this one. Juglone is poisonous to other plants. It has been used as an effective medicine through out history and is currently being studied as a possible anti cancer properties.
The wikipedia article is quite well referenced an references quoted.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby der wo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:37 am

German wikipedia and other sources say it's mutagenic. Proved by animal experiments. It's very reactive to radicals, this is the reason.
It's poisonous and a medicine probably. Depends on the dosage.
der wo

Postby Copperhead road » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:46 am

der wo wrote:German wikipedia and other sources say it's mutagenic. Proved by animal experiments. It's very reactive to radicals, this is the reason.
It's poisonous and a medicine probably. Depends on the dosage.

It’s better to be safe than sorry! :wink:
my pet is a CCSC copper flute, I feed it corn and it pisses likker like a pony....
Copperhead road

Postby just sayin' » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Today is Saint John's Eve, the evening green walnuts were traditionally harvested in Italy. High water is making impossible to for me to get to my favorite tree today.
just sayin'

Postby der wo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm

This year they were ripe enough much earlier. I picked two weaks ago (Germany, a few hundred kilometers north from Italy) and it was almost too late. I today looked if I was right to pick them early. And yes I was, now they have wood inside, no way to cut them to pieces with a knife. In Italy probably 4 weeks ago was good. Walnuts don't know anything about St. John I fear...
der wo

Postby just sayin' » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:23 am

Der Wo, I picked a small batch at my sister's yesterday evening, 35 nuts from two trees. They were small, the largest the size of a pingpong ball. Nuts from a different tree a few miles away last week were nearly full grown. You have to just keep watching.
I try to try to harvest at least a few nuts on the traditional date because I hope the to get a glimpse of the white clad barefoot virgins don't you know...
just sayin'

Postby der wo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:13 pm

just sayin' wrote:I try to try to harvest at least a few nuts on the traditional date because I hope the to get a glimpse of the white clad barefoot virgins don't you know...

Thanks for the hint. It's 45min before 25.6. just right now. Enough time for me to visit a walnut tree in the neighbourhood.
der wo

Postby Kareltje » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 pm

I did sing some Gregorian songs today at a St. Johns procession, but did not see any barefoot virgins. :mg:
The virgins I saw were very, very young and had a big father looking after them and not barefoot. :evil:
But I do not know about the story of virgins and St. John, so please tell me.

Still have some noix noirs of last year. I will wait till I enjoy them, before I make some new.
Kareltje

Postby just sayin' » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:10 am

The virgins appear to be optional. Speaking of virgins, Pint noted a side effect his younger wife notice, shall we say a certain stiffness...
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:42 am

just sayin' wrote:The virgins appear to be optional.

...and a slender option, I seem to recall from my misspent youth.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby The Baker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:
just sayin' wrote:The virgins appear to be optional.

...and a slender option, I seem to recall from my misspent youth.

I didn't really miss-spend my youth; and trying to miss-spend my old age would be an exercise in futility.

Mind, there were some interesting times in between....

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Previous

Return to Proven Recipes