Well I made a right mess off this
I had it in my head that the main issue was going to be the grain solids sticking to the hot base, I had this issue before when doing DWWG and a mash with rice in it. As it turns out the main issue was the fact that the mash got really viscous once it starts to get hot, it went like wall paper paste. The false bottom although it worked at the start keeping the solids off, obliviously had no affect once the mash thickened and the mash burned and tripped the thermal switch.
So I although I got the mash hot I didn't manage to boil it for any length of time. My boiler is very well insulated so I thought, I'll put the top on, let it cool to 69oC and add the malt.
So it cooled down over about 6 hours, I added the malt and put the top back on. The temp dropped about 10oC over the next 12 hours. So the next morning I gave it a taste - no sweetness what so ever.
I decided to cut my losses strain out the solids (messy) and just use the thick liquid as a base for a sugar wash, and return to this recipe when i have the correct equipment, bit gas fired pot.
Pitched that this afternoon and that looks to be going well. It is at this point I realise the digital thermo I was using was buggered, and reading high to the tune of 10oC - so all the reading I took above would be completly wrong, so no wonder it got zero conversion
I bit disappointed I made such a mess of this, but not disheartened. Learned a few lessons, and will make a better go of it next time.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.