• Advertisement

Sinner's Quick & Easy Apple Pie

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Sinner's Quick & Easy Apple Pie

Postby Sinner » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 pm

OK... This my chance as a newbie to give something back to this great forum that has given me so much. I put this recipe together as a quick and easy way to throw some apple pie moonshine together. I did this recipe and it was pretty good right after being mixed, but it should improve after storing a week or two.

32 fl. oz. Clear Apple Juice or Cider
16 fl. oz. 100 Proof Moonshine
4 ounces Sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks
(as mixed 40 proof)

Combine Apple Juice/Cider, Sugar and Cinnamon in a saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once boiling, turn off heat and allow to completely cool. Once cooled, remove the cinnamon, strain and add the moonshine, and then bottle. The flavor is great straight away, but will improve over time. This recipe is scalable.

(See metric recipe further down)
Armorial Bearings granted by The Lord Lyon, King of Arms of Scotland
Sinner

Equipment type: 32qt SS Stock Pot with built-in thermometer, 5 feet 3/8" copper tube connected to 10 feet 1/4" Copper tube worm in a plastic bucket worm box chilled with ice water.

Re: Sinner's Quick & Easy Apple Pie

Postby Odin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanx!

I would like to try this recipe. Could you help me in breaking it down into metric equivalents? Like liters and grams?

Would be very helpfull.

Do you filter?

Odin.

Edit for a first try: 16 fl oz = (a little less than) 1/2 liter; 32 fl oz = (a little less than) 1 liter; 4 ounces = (a little less than) 125 grams.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
My Blog on distilling: http://istillblog.wordpress.com/
My Site on distilling: http://www.istill.eu/
Odin

Equipment type: iStill 50, VISION, 250, ...

Postby Life by the drop » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Looks like you are spot on Odin. I will try this when I do an all feints run. Gonna book mark it now. Bet it rocks. Sinner post when you sample. Let us know how it turns out.
Life by the drop

Postby punkin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Odin wrote:Thanx!

I would like to try this recipe. Could you help me in breaking it down into metric equivalents? Like liters and grams?

Would be very helpfull.

Do you filter?

Odin.

Edit for a first try: 16 fl oz = (a little less than) 1/2 liter; 32 fl oz = (a little less than) 1 liter; 4 ounces = (a little less than) 125 grams.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/

There you go :8)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Sinner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 am

Odin, as this recipe is completely scalable, the ingredients are basically 1.5:1, so you could just convert to metric and use the ratios...

For instance, the recipe as shown would be in metric...

750 ml Apple Juice
500 ml 100 Proof Moonshine (or neutral)
125 g Sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks

If you wanted to up the quantity...

3 Liters Apple Juice
2 Liters 100 Proof Moonshine (or neutral)
500 grams Sugar
8 Cinnamon Sticks

Both of these will be 40 Proof when mixed. If you want a lower proof, say 25 proof, just take the total ethanol and divide it by the total liquid, and adjust accordingly. I did not filter, as I don't have filtration gear, so I used clear filtered apple juice because I wanted a clear end product, but cloudy juice would be just fine. I checked it this morning and it is definitely getting better. The flavours are blending.

I made this recipe for those of you like me, that wanted to throw a quick party drink together, and didn't have either the ingredients or the time to make a truly fine concoction such as Wineo's Apple Pie recipe. And if you're REALLY in a hurry, and all you have on hand is a store bought 80 proof plonk, here's the mix for that to get you to a final product of 40 proof.

750 ml Apple Juice
750 ml any white 80 proof spirit
150 g Sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks

ENJOY.
Sinner

Equipment type: 32qt SS Stock Pot with built-in thermometer, 5 feet 3/8" copper tube connected to 10 feet 1/4" Copper tube worm in a plastic bucket worm box chilled with ice water.

Postby 777 seas » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:37 am

Watch it though cinnamon has a tendency to over power making it rather spicy. :evil: . Forgot to pull mine out one time and ended up with fireball.
777 seas

Postby Sinner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 am

Oooooo.... I didn't think about that... The boiling then removing seems to be just about right... Don't want to ruin a good thing... Thanks for the heads up!
Sinner

Postby Odin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanx Sinner!

I will try this out today or tomorrow. Before I leave for our family holidays to Hungary. I plan on taking it with me.

No filtering with coffee pads ... check.

How to drink this? Room temp? From the fridge? The freezer maybe?

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby Sinner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Odin... Ok I did put a coffee filter in place to catch the bits of cinnamon that may have broken off... I didn't really think of that as filtering in the true sense, but yes I filtered to keep junk out of the bottle.

So far, I've been sampling it at room temp. But I think it will be awesome over ice or chilled, but haven't tried that yet. If you try it first, let me know.
Sinner

Postby Odin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Distilling some rye&spelt UJ as we speak. Dit a very slow first run a few days ago. With cuts. Now a second distillation, after I diluted the "low wines" back to 20% (were 47%). I will give me a taste rich product, not a neutral, but it is what I have at hand right now, so I will try. I figure, the cinamon will pretty much "over rule" the other tastes present. I will use 0.5 liter of 50% abv wit 1 liter of apple juice and 125 grams of sugar. I have three cinamon sticks. Sounds like a lot, but they are not tall at all. Like 6 cm (2 1/2 inches) each.

Yeah, I feel that it might benefit from some cooling. Just my thoughts, not yet my experiences. I don't plan to drink it on ice, since that will dilute further, and 20% is low already. I will let you guys know.

Thanks again. I have been wanting to make this "Apple Pie" for some time, but the recipe was ... well ... not difficult, but somehow this approach is really back to basics. I like that. My Limoncello is based on a very simple recipe as well. I have tried more elaborate approaches, but the simple recipe gives me the best taste.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Sinner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:34 am

OH DAMN!!! Well Odin's idea of chilling the Apple Pie seemed like a really good idea, so I stuck my supply in the fridge. In retrospect, that was a terrible idea.

My eldest son came by later in the day, and I was so proud of the Apple Pie and asked him if he would like to try some (whatever possessed me to do that?), to which he said "sure".

Well that stuff when chilled, was like liquid gold!! It was so smooth it just slid down like butter off a hot knife! It was awesome!!!

Within an hour or so, my entire stock was gone! Damn, that was fine!

Gonna get to work tonight cooking up some more, the nice thing is it'll be ready in no time flat!

Thanks Odin... Yo da man!!! :8)
Sinner

Postby Odin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:51 am

Thank you, sir!

When I started reading your story, at first I thought ... shit, his very young son of 7, 8 years old is going to drink it.

Guess he was a bit older, though.

Well, I just took my first sip. It is not cooled yet. But it is good. Not great, but maybe that is because of my cinnamon. Although, although ... I think it is actually not quite sweet enough. Now I am not a sweet mouth. Au contraire! But just looking at this recipe ... are we sure 125 grams is enough? On a Drambuie or rumcoconut liquere, the sugar content is closer to 20%. Here it is like ... 125 grams on 1.5 liters is 90 grams per liter.

Just asking. Maybe it just needs some more time.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Sinner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Odin,

My eldest is 34 years old, and my youngest 31. So old to enough to have a sip.

If you have 1.25 L of water to .25 L of ethanol then you have the correct amount of sugar. The sugar is 10% of the accumulated water in ml expressed as grams.

This is NOT a liqueur. I agree as a liqueur, (and I make liqueurs) it would need more sugar, and probably a stronger apple flavour and proof at that.

This is a flavoured moonshine. I found that mine was only so-so the day I made it, but I stuck it in the cupboard for a day, and it definitely improved. After two days it was great!

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what it was like after three days, because you caused me to put it in the fridge, and that was the end of that!!!

Let it sit for a day or so, and try it again. Your recipe is good.

:D
Sinner

Postby Odin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:12 pm

I stand corrected! And bow for you, while taking my hat off. Well, if I had one I would.

This stuff is addictive.

And I completely disagree. It does not get better after a few days.

It gets better in a few hours!

Really, I just took sipp number 2. Like an hour of extra rest & cooling and the drink already smoothes out.

My mss tried a bit of my first glass and said: "not bad", which means "not good", because she is Hungarian originally. Or maybe all females have that? Anyhow, she also took a sip of my glass number 2. "Now that is better!" she said. And that means "not bad at all!" Quite the step forward.

Tomorrow I will leave for a 3 weeks holiday in Hungary. Means I wont sip it tomorrow, only the day after. Can't wait to see how taste smoothes out even further.

I think this stuff can get ya drunk in no time, btw. Phew, drinks away like ... well, like apple juice actually.

Odin.

Edit: this will be a classic in my "repertoire". I know it already. In Hungary, I will buy a few liters of 50% vodka, apple juice, cinnamon ... guess what the family in law will be drinking?

Edit again (sorry, must be the apple pie!): "Guess what the fam in law will be drinking?" Well, apple pie, when I make it. But I will also take some 5 liters of geneva, 3 liters of Limoncello and a liter of 58% poitin. Let the party begin.
Odin

Postby Sinner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Thank you Odin... glad it smoothed out for you. I think by the time you get to Hungary, it will definitely be "aged" enough!! Ha ha ha! :lol:

I also included a recipe for using 80 proof, if that's all you can get your hands on. Have a great vacation!

Sinner
Sinner

Next

Return to Proven Recipes