• Advertisement

wheat germ

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: wheat germ

Postby shortbed454 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm

basically what i did. i boiled 3 gallons of water and sugar, then added it to my fermenter. then did the same thing with the wheat germ and add it to fermenter. not a problem.
60% of the time, it works every time!
shortbed454

Postby danthonybuck » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 pm

DOUBLE WOW!
I tried this and I am amazed. I had complete fermentation in 5 days. You guys were right about how active it is. At any rate, I ran it, filtered, and have it in oak and in 1 week it is very nice. I can't wait to experience it in a 60 days.
Going to make another batch and put her in the oak. Thanks so much for sharing this "tried and proven" recipe.
Dave :)
danthonybuck

Equipment type: 2" VM

Postby msh » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:02 am

I have a jar of this that I made last year. It's really nice. DW should get some sort of award for coming up with this.
msh

Equipment type: 6 gallon pot still
5 gallon plastic bucket
large spoon with handle that's too short.

Postby finnwerke757 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:11 pm

I ran my "maiden voyage" this past weekend. And out of a 5 gallon wash, I got 1.75L of 95 proof likker. I think next time Im just gonna skip straight to the oak. Im very pleased with the taste, its a lil burny on the mouth intially but if I put it straight on the rocks it all is good. Next time I think Im gonna skip straight to some oak and let it mellow. Deathwish, thank you soooo much for this recipe. Now I have a cornflake/allbran wash that is almost done. Its a 7 gallon wash so I should have little better than 2L of blended likker. MMMMMMM cant hardly wait. :D
finnwerke757

Postby Stilly » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:12 pm

This is one of my favorite sugar washes. I throw in some peated barley with the wheat germ and run it slow, single run. I then oak with Medium plus oak cubes. I use minimal oak for 3 to 6 months, then chuck that oak and add more. At 9 months to 1 year this is like a lightly peated scotch. For the peat flavor to come out it does need to be diluted down to about 30% or less when drinkin. I use about a cup of peated barley per wash.

cheers
stilly
Stilly

Equipment type: 2" copper pot still on 7 gal ss boiler

Postby danthonybuck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Man did I make a mistake! I ran this again and used a turbo. WRONG. I am now sure this is what happens when you get greedy! As a precaustion knowing that turbo can "taint" I filtered this one 3 times and it still tastes like rattle snake venom! I guess I will keep it on oak until I retire! :ranting:
LOL.
I have been reviewing the posts but can anyone tell me if EC 1118 works ok? I have a whole bunch in the refer and would like to use it up.
Thanks dw for a great recipe! (as long as you do it right)
Dave
:P
danthonybuck

Postby danthonybuck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Ran this again as I was stoked on how nice the flavors are. Only problem is I used a TURBO and it really sucks. Filtered 3 times as I knew it was weird. Put it on oak and after 2 weeks it still sucks.
I ordered the "champagne" today to re-run.

Question: Will EC 1118 work? I have a bunch I would like to use up.
Dave :|
danthonybuck

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:58 pm

danthony,

You're just adding data to what I've always believed about turbos, that they are frequently the source of awful booze. But quick.

Yes, at any reasonable sugar concentration EC1118 works like a bandit. Unless I'm after a specific ester profile, EC1118's my fave.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby danthonybuck » Mon May 21, 2012 6:06 am

I was shopping for supplies to make a new wash and I noticed Kretschmer's wheat germ is of the "toasted" variety.
Another brand at the loacal store is "untoasted". Does anyone have experience using "untoasted" wheat germ? Does it have any effect?
Thanks,
Dave :?
danthonybuck

Postby shortbed454 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:38 am

i used un toasted and it didnt take off and bubble like the toasted did. the flavor profile was a little different also. still made for a good final product though.
60% of the time, it works every time!
shortbed454

Postby WalkingWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 pm

danthonybuck wrote:I was shopping for supplies to make a new wash and I noticed Kretschmer's wheat germ is of the "toasted" variety.
Another brand at the loacal store is "untoasted". Does anyone have experience using "untoasted" wheat germ? Does it have any effect?
Thanks,
Dave :?

I've used both and had the volcanic effect with each. If you cook the wheat germ till it breaks down then you are "almost" assured that you will get the over-active ferment. The one time I didn't was when I hadn't cooked the WG at a high enough temp.
WalkingWolf

Postby Dan P. » Sun May 27, 2012 11:12 am

I have recently done this, and had the fermentation is just fine but not in any way explosive or vigorous. I did add a third more volume of fermentables to the wheatgerm ratio, but I would have thought that would have only changed "explosive" to "vigorous".
Ho-hum. I guess one of these days I'm going to cook up a batch that sticks to a recipe, any recipe!
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby the pure drop » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:11 am

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted. Well, I just got into a jar of this that I made sometime back (still white) and it's pretty smooth and relatively light. I really like this. I can see the potential here for easily turning this into a scottish poit dubh or irish poitin. I mainly make my own simple version of barley thin mash poitin by smoking the malted barley and leave it clear. It comes out grainy, a little bit spicey and fairly peaty/ smokey. It's by far my favorite recipe and the one I do most. However, after tasting this white wheatgerm, I can see that I think it can be added-to a little bit in order to give a similar flavor profile for those times when I'm running low on barley and won't have any ready for some time. I guess this could also be used for someone who has a difficult time getting large quantities of barley but still want to give a simple poitin a taste.

I haven't run this off yet so I can't comment or report on the success or failure of this recipe, but I will as it becomes available. I basically followed the original recipe. I used 16 oz of wheat germ per 5 gallon batch. I backed the amount of sugar down a little bit to a little over 7 lbs per 5 gallons (works fine for UJSSM, so I thought I'd give it a shot here...was running low on sugar). I also added 1 lbs of barley malt to each 5 gallons as well as a handful of smoked corn flakes. I smoked all of the ingredients including the sugar and cornflakes over a smoldering peat fire. Basically just tossed a few shovel fulls of non-additive 100% gardening peat over wood coals and let that smoke do it's things. I let all that sit overnight to cool off on it's own. Today I started boiling part of the water, and dumped in the wheat germ and the barley malt and let it boil at a slow rolling boil for about 90 minutes as per the original. I then dumped this into my fermenting barrels on top of my smoked sugar and mixed it all up good to disolve the sugar. I then added a handful of steel cut oats to each 5 gallon batch. Topped up with cool water to bring the temp down and get the right amount in each barrel. I then threw in the crushed and smoked cornflakes and stirred the devil out of it all to aerate. I then pitched a fairly healthy helping of bakers yeast and closed it up . Now, less than an hour and a half later the krausen is well on it's way and I can smell the tell tale scent of fermenting sugars and grain as well as the very pronunced peat smoke smell. I really hope that this wash will turn out a respectible sugar-based representative of peaty/ smokey irish poitin or scottish poit dubh. Once I've had a chance to run this off twice in my pot still and make my cuts and proof it all down...then I will report back my success or failure.
the pure drop

Postby pirobot668 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:13 pm

OK, time for me to chime in!
I put up batch #4 of DWWG on Sunday last week, batch #5 on Sunday.

Here is what works for me:
(4 gallon batch, cooking part one)
2 gallons hot water to dissolve 7 lbs. cane sugar, then add 1-1/2 tps. Fruit Saver (citric + ascorbic acid).
Slowly bring up to a boil over twenty minutes. Inverts the sugar...
While gently boiling, add 16 oz. Wheat Germ, toasted. Stir it in with a whisk to prevent lumps.
Reduce heat to a gentle boil, and cook 1/2 hour. Stir frequently to prevent separation!

During the cooking, I am using my pot-still on a stove top, with the condenser-shell in place. Keeps water in the system, and likely (due to self-reflux) keeps the yummies in the wash too..

(The yeast bomb)
Draw off one cup of wash, dilute with one cup water, and aerate with the whisk until temperature is around 95-100 F. Pitch EC-1118 into the two-cup mix, cover with foil.

(4 gallon batch, cooking part two)
Continue cooking (with cover!) main wash for another hour. Total cook time with Wheat Germ is 90 minutes.
Add additional water to make 4 gallons, and cool down the wash using a wort-cooler to around 95-102F. Lots of aeration!!!

(Pitching)
Add 1/4 cup of wash to wash/yeast mix, then put 1/2 cup of mix into main wash.
Repeat until all the wash/yeast is in the main wash. This process reduces thermal-shock to the yeasties....
OK, now we are pitched.

(The Volcano)
Place lid on brew-bucket, but do not seal!
In a few hours, yeast cap is angry! Hrrrrr! Hulk smash!! (sorry) :D
Knock down the yeast cap with a whisk every three hours or so for the first 12 hours. More aeration!
Added 1/2 tsp. Olive Oil. See threads about Oemga-3 and all that.... Keeps down -some- foaming.

(The quite time...)
After the yeast is no longer quite so grouchy, snap-on the lid (5 galllon bucket, air-tight lid), point the bubbler in a safe down-range direction, and check the thing every few hours for the next 12 hours.
If the puking volcano stage is over, leave it alone for at least 7 days.
If not, continue knocking down the yeast cap.
Joy!
"There is not time enough for weak drink or dithering fools"
pirobot668

Equipment type: 3" reflux column 36" tall, dual-coiled condenser, cold-fingered shot-gun condenser, liebig condenser, 22" lyme-arm, all copper!
4 and 5 gallon boilers, general hardware.....

Postby pirobot668 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:33 pm

What works for me, part two!

(Distillation, part 1)
Use a kitchen sieve to remove most of the wheat-germ flakes.
Since my pot-still cannot hold a full four gallons, I put in three gallons of the finished wash.
Medium-slow heat build-up, taking care to get all them danged Fore-shots.
Once the still is throwing heads, I bump up the heat for a full-on stripping run. Take it out to 209 F. Keeping all collected spirits in one container.

(Distillation, part 2)
I take the distillate from step 1, add to an equal volume of dunder, and the remaining wash all into the pot-still, and any Feints from earlier runs. If less than 2 gallons, I add some water. If over two gallons, groovy.
Same run as the first; get rid of Fore-shots, stripping run, all in one collector.

(Distillation, part 3)
Now it gets real.... :rkn:
Distillate from step 2, with an equal volume of dunder, and an equal volume of water.
Medium-low heat, going for a nice calming spirits run.
Being that this is DWWG, not much heads/tail separation. I goes by taste at this point.
I keeps all the yummies in one bucket, the yuckies (what little there are) and everything over 204 F goes into the Feints bucket for the next run.

I know triple distilling is a bit much, but the taste!!!!!

My ever-trusting taste-testers all agree; this stuff is good. What they can't agree on is -what- it is!! :D

Since I have been sampling so much, I do not have any % information. The next batch (Coming Sunday, 6/10/2012) will see me using instruments to measure stuff!!!! :!:

I will report back with proof, yeild, % ABV before distillation, etc.

I know that most DWWG runs ferment only about a week, but it is still coolish in the Northwest right now, so garage is not so warm.

PS, No more brew in house, as wife not charmed with sticky volcano action..... :oops:
"There is not time enough for weak drink or dithering fools"
pirobot668

Equipment type: 3" reflux column 36" tall, dual-coiled condenser, cold-fingered shot-gun condenser, liebig condenser, 22" lyme-arm, all copper!
4 and 5 gallon boilers, general hardware.....

PreviousNext

Return to Proven Recipes