• Advertisement

wheat germ

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: wheat germ

Postby pintoshine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:37 pm

I am so glad you guys and girls are enjoying this. I like the variations.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby Abussive » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:00 am

Talking about variations..... Regulars will know that I tend to follow my own "variations" most of the time.

The thing which I picked up on quickly was the reportage on fast fermentations. I figured that something was keeping the yeastie beastie's happy! But I had no wheat germ to hand.
But SWMBO had a box of Weetabix in the larder......
and - unlike the chocolate digestives - she doesn't bother to keep a count of them......

So I boiled up a bit of Weetabix to add to my plain wash recipe, the time before last.
Wow! Those yeasties were having an ORGY!
It lasted about 6 days, instead of the normal 2 week "amateur night".
The flavour was positively enhanced, big time.

To check, last fermentation I left the Weetabix out and sure enough, everything happened slower. And the flavour fell away too.

So rather than worry about giving my yeasties a chemical fix in future, I'm going to be routinely bulking up their gonads with good old Weetabix.

About 1 UK Weetabix biscuit per gallon seems to do the trick. But it MUST be stewed up for a bit first in a little water.
Some kind of hydrolysis releasing the yeastie halucinogens and pheromones, I expect?

It makes clearing a bit more tiresome afterwards, but not too bad.
Especially since I built my prototype semi-continuous centrifugal clarifier.......

:)
Adonis

Scientist, technocrat, 2nd-rate musician, improviser
m.o. :- "why buy it, if you can make it exactly as you want it"?
Mantra:- Measure twice, cut once. My short pencil is better than your long memory
Abussive

Postby Dan P. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 pm

+1 on the weetabix. I pitched some weetabix (unstewed) into my sleepy DWWG and it perked right up. Next time I will stew.
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Postby shortbed454 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 pm

made up another batch last night. no explosive ferment this time, but its bubbling right along. i love this stuff. cant wait to run it.
60% of the time, it works every time!
shortbed454

Postby kobold » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:14 am

after being away for four days the co2 escaping the airlock smells a bit like citrus and very sharp on the nose. i started the ferment six days ago and it's still bubbling steadily @24C. is this smell a normal phase?
kobold

Equipment type: air still, 30l boiler, 3in pot still, barrel

Postby kobold » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 am

just finished it and am very happy. potstilled slowly, a heart cut from 75% to 45% gave me 3l@62% and 2.5l heads+feints, collected to 10%. it's really drinkable straight off the still with a rich nose of vanillin when bottled. aging on a handful of white oak chips and two once used oak staves. i am cooking the new batch with extra 500 grams of freshly cracked peated bairds, adding 12% backset, will ferment on grain...
big thank you to deathwish and pintoshine. they really deserve a medal! :D

edit: added oloroso sherry and maple syrup, 5ml/l of each & diluted to 55%. left a dram in a covered glencairn overnight and i am really floored by the result!
kobold

Equipment type: air still, 30l boiler, 3in pot still, barrel

Postby kekedog13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Hey group,I have a 6 gallon fermenter of this 'bout ready to run . I was thinking 'bout re-using the left over wash after the run but am a little confused. First I was gonna rack it off the sediment and clarify it in a secondary for at least a few days or a week ( like I do with beer and wine). Then when it's reasonably clear, run it. And I can then just dissolve more sugar in the hot back set and add new yeast? I will be leaving the old wheat germ and yeast behind when I rack it. So so I guess all the goodie is remaining in the liquid and not so much in the lees I am leaving behind, Yes? And can do this up to 3 runs?
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon keg, LM/VM T-Boka on top of a 38" X 2" column,32" Liebig

Postby mort4 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 pm

If you add cold water too the lees in the fermenter, the yeast etc. will be OK for a while.(I usually do it within a day so can't say how long) Then when you add your sugar/hot backset mixture you may hopefully be at a comfortable temp for the yeast, in which case you won't need to pitch more yeast(@80f).There is a lot of nutrient left in the lees. Yes,you can do this a few times.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
mort4

Equipment type: 2"x50" copper VM, with 8" dixiedrifter reflux coil and SD torpedo.
2" potstill head, 36" liebig product condenser. Propane fired. Three plate SD bubbler.
Member of Hobby Distillers Association

Postby Foxfire » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I made this recipe yesterday, I aerated it for about an hour, but the foam was so excessive I stopped. I rehydrated one packet each of Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast and Lavlin EC1118. I have it in to 5 gallon carboys. They both have about a 2 inch layer of dense foam on them, but are only letting bubbles out of the air lock at about every 5 seconds, not the explosive fermentation other have described. Does that sound like it should be ok? Followed recipe to letter but did add teaspoon each of gypsum and DAP just for the hell of it
Foxfire

Postby pintoshine » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 pm

It is all temperature dependant sometimes. I winter it is calm and great. In summer it comes out out the fermenter. Of course the yeast is a factor too some yeasts just make a lot of foam.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby Oddball » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 am

My 4th batch of the wheat germ just finished. I started it with the fermenter in the house for a few days and it bubbled along ok, but not too fast... thought it might go better if it were warmer and put it in a water bath @ 89f, it took off right away!
The bubble production doubled and if it hadn't got the slow start at the beginning it might have blown the lid off!
This batch I used toasted wheat germ and used 2 lbs of brown sugar and a cup of honey instead of all white sugar (5lb white 2 lb brown) and ec1118 rather than safeale 05
This batch smells and tastes yummy so far! won't get to run it for a few weeks do to work issues ( I have to work damn it )
Woof, woof, woof! That's my other dog imitation.
Oddball

Equipment type: 15 gallon stainless keg with worm, propane fired. use my old boiler sometimes as thumper just built a lebig and will use it next run

Postby Foxfire » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Liked this one so much going to do another; maybe double recipe. Only problem my largest pot is am aluminum turkey fryer pot. Does anyone think that would be a problem just for the "cooking"? Also, would any of the malting enzymes have any positive effect on the wheat germ in the wash?
Foxfire

Postby pintoshine » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm

no starch in wheat germ so no enzymes. Glad you likes it. My favourite too. no problem with cooking in aluminium.

:roflmao: British spellchecker
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby Foxfire » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:30 pm

I made a double batch of this and placed it in a 66 qt storage bin to aerate and cool. I placed a air stone in there and let it go for a bit. I guess I did not learn from the last time, but even in this large tote, the foam was so excessive it bowed out the tote and blew the lid off cascading a white foamy water fall of sticky goop all over my patio, gad what a mess. I place it on 3 5 gallon carboys and it is now almost at a rolling boil of a ferment.

I see from a previous post that others have tried to reuse the lees in the fermenter and using some of the trub from the boiler. I am guessing I will have to add more water and sugar. How well has this worked from those of you that have tried it?

I have to admit, the aroma and taste of this is some of the best distlled sprits that have passed my lips.. It is either that good, or I have to get out more :D
Foxfire

Postby Greasydog26 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm

So this is my very first ferment as I followed the instructions closely. After the wash cooled I added my Red star champagne yeast and the ferment had a SG of 1.080. After about four days the SG didn’t change much, maybe 1.070, and then I added some EC-1118 and things started to spark up a little more. The temperature has been between 70 and 74 F. As of now the SG is 1.050 a week in today. I guess I would have just figured it would have been a little further along than this. Does this sound about right given the temperature and should I let the SG go to 1.000? It sure is starting to smell good and I’m excited to run my first batch. Any help is much appreciated.
Greasydog26

PreviousNext

Return to Proven Recipes