• Advertisement

Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Postby Buccaneer Bob » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Awesome, 3d0g. Yeah, if you blow your airlock out, you might have to go with a blow-off tube instead. That's how I've had to do mine, anyway.

Either way, definitely let me know how the recipe works out for you. :wink:
Buccaneer Bob

Postby 3d0g » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:31 pm

Molasses finished fermenting in about 30 hours. Mixed in the sugar which brings the effective OG to 1.100. What do you typically see for a FG Bob?
3d0g

Postby Buccaneer Bob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:36 am

3d0g wrote:Molasses finished fermenting in about 30 hours. Mixed in the sugar which brings the effective OG to 1.100. What do you typically see for a FG Bob?

You know, I gave up a long time ago worrying about OG and FG with rum fermentations. There are a lot of unfermentable solids in the molasses, and it will finish above 1.000, but that's as much as I can tell you about it.

I just let it ferment until it stops bubbling, give it a couple more days for the wash to clear a bit -- about 10-14 days total time -- and run it. So far, I haven't come up short, liquor-wise, doing it that way.

BTW, that's a really nice looking beer you got there. Did you brew that one yourself?
Buccaneer Bob

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Buccaneer Bob wrote:You know, I gave up a long time ago worrying about OG and FG with rum fermentations. There are a lot of unfermentable solids in the molasses, and it will finish above 1.000, but that's as much as I can tell you about it.

Absolutely correct, but to make it worse, it varies a lot with whichever molasses you use. Anyway, expect surprisingly high FG.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby 3d0g » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks guys. Wasn't expecting to see the sub 1.000 I get on corn, but wasn't sure how high. Time will tell!
3d0g

Postby 3d0g » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Buccaneer Bob wrote:BTW, that's a really nice looking beer you got there. Did you brew that one yourself?

Nay, was a tasty local NZ pils enjoyed at the end of a 2K mi motorcycle journey of both islands. Was dining at the top of the Sky Tower in Auckland.
3d0g

Postby Buccaneer Bob » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:35 am

3d0g wrote:Nay, was a tasty local NZ pils enjoyed at the end of a 2K mi motorcycle journey of both islands. Was dining at the top of the Sky Tower in Auckland.

Coooool.
Buccaneer Bob

Postby snackson » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Started a similar batch up tonight after reading this whole thread last night when I couldn't sleep. Here's how it went together:

~93 ounces Plantation Unsulphered Blackstrap Molasses from a health food store
6 Tbsp Real Lime Juice
100g bakers yeast (to sacrifice for nutrients)
4 tbsp bakers yeast

Mixed 31oz molasses with 1 gallon water and 100g yeast and brought to a boil. While waiting for it to boil I mixed the other 62oz molasses with water to about the 3 gallon mark in 5 gallon bucket. Added lime juice and mixed. Boiled the initial mixture for 15 minutes and added to the fermenter. Stirred well and brought it up to ~4.5-4.75 gallon mark. Let it cool to 90F. Mixed up 4 tbsp bakers yeast with 8oz water to rehydrate yeast. Pitched the yeast into the mix. Prior to pitching I checked the SG with my refractometer and had 1.063. I'll check on it here later to see how it is going but I imagine it will kick off soon.

So long story short, recently moved and don't have all my stuff yet. This is mainly to get something going to start a dunder pit and along with the added benefit of some rum on the side! I have 5.5 pounds of turbinado (raw) cane sugar for the exit step. I am not sure how much I will be putting in yet, if any. The extra lime juice was to counteract the EXTREMELY hard water I have. I wish i had all my stuff, I will soon enough but had to get something going after reading through last night. I'll keep you posted.
snackson

Equipment type: 4" modular flute in progress.

Postby Buccaneer Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:21 am

Sounds good, Snackson. Yeah, you could definitely add more molasses and/or sugar if you wanted to. Of course, you don't have to. But with a starting gravity of 1.063 on a molasses wash, you'll be lucky to hit 5% alcohol on your ferment.

After cuts, you'll probably end up with around two fifths (1.4 liters) of rum out of a five gallon (20 liter) 5% ferment, by my calculations. That's not bad, but I've been getting five fifths (4 liters) out of a 5 gallon ferment.

Either way, though, you'll get a start on your dunder pit.

Definitely let me know how it works out for you.
Buccaneer Bob

Postby MacThamhais » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:15 am

Bucaneer bob, just almost followed your rum recipe last month and it turned out beautifully. it's only been sittin' for a month and is quite tasty to say the least.
Thanks for the recipe, mate.
MacThamhais

Postby MacThamhais » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:24 am

This is the filth I called dunder.
Attachments
006 (2).JPG
MacThamhais

Postby Mud » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 am

Is that a brick on the left?
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby MacThamhais » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:50 am

I haven't put a brick in yet. With three kids, You can imagine what I've found in it. I've removed some tools, a flashlight, and a few dead birds thus far.
MacThamhais

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:08 am

MacThamhais wrote:I haven't put a brick in yet. With three kids, You can imagine what I've found in it. I've removed some tools, a flashlight, and a few dead birds thus far.

Now THAT'S a dunder pit, reminiscent of Kickapoo Joy Juice, out of the comic strip Li'l Abner! Seriously (sorta) did you find the tools had their rust removed?
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby MacThamhais » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Kickapoo joy juice- a liquor of such stupefying potency that the hardiest citizens of Dogpatch, after the first burning sip, rose into the air, stiff as frozen codfish. It was said to be an elixir of such power that the fumes alone have been known to melt the rivets off battleships.

I've definitely got to get my hands on some of that. It might just finish the auld liver off.
MacThamhais

PreviousNext

Return to Proven Recipes