• Advertisement

Ian Smiley's Wheat Vodka

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Ian Smiley's Wheat Vodka

Postby okie » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Has anyone made this recipe? I have a copy of it but it's a PDF file on my computer and I'm not sure how tp post it.

It seems simple enough for us AG brewers if we can get the wheat. All the vodka I've made so far has been sugar based which is clean but I think is cheating.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Re: Ian Smiley's Wheat Vodka

Postby Swede » Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 pm

I had the pleasure of running a batch of this with Ian Smiley a few days ago and it's quite nice. It was being run off a 4 plate still as wheat whiskey, simply pushing it to higher proof would be necessary for vodka. Once I get the chance to try out some of the vodka from this recipe I'd be happy to let you know how it tastes.

The mash was done with liquid enzymes and 100% wheat. It produced a pleasant smelling distillate with WAY less heads and tails that I would have expected. In discussion with Ian he did mention that wheat usually has a smaller amount of congeners than barley or corn. From what I seen, I would tend to believe this. This would make it a mash well suited to vodka if somewhat labor intensive.

Be sure you use a three enzyme mash sequence to avoid making "glue" out of the glutens in the wheat as you bring the mash up to gelatinization temps. I believe that using alpha amylase and some beta glucanase on the way up keeps the mash manageable. Then cool and add gluco amylase for saccarification. Perhaps someone with a little more AG experience could confirm this.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby okie » Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks Swede. I'll make sure I have all three enzymes before I try it. From what you are saying, making a whiskey from it might be outstanding as well. Interesting!
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby prairiepiss » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 am

I love wheat. I have made both whiskey and vodka with the same wheat AG recipe. And to my tastes it is a far superior finished product then any sugarhead.

Remember that not all wheats are the same. White wheat is a more neutral flavor the red wheat. Red wheat has a more sharper or spicier taste then white wheat. How much difference? Depends on many things and your pallet. But still use them accordingly. If you are wanting to make a vodka start with the white wheat. Whiskey add some red if you want to. Experiment with them to find what you like. I personaly like to make my first run of a batch for whiskey. If I like it? It is kept as whiskey. If its not quite what I wanted I distill it again going for a vodka.

So far my favorite for both has been all white wheat. 20% malted and 80% unmalted. But I still have many more experiments to do before I will be satisfied that that is my favorite.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby jake_leg » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 pm

What grind are you guys using and how are you dealing with the gum?
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby prairiepiss » Thu May 30, 2013 6:40 pm

What ever the homebrew shop gave me. I haven't had a chance to play with my mill yet. And I used a bag and squeezed. I didn't have a proper mash tun yet. But I'm stocked up on rice hulls and will be trying them when I do my next one with a false bottom.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.

Postby likkerluvver » Thu May 30, 2013 7:21 pm

prairiepiss wrote:I love wheat. I have made both whiskey and vodka with the same wheat AG recipe. And to my tastes it is a far superior finished product then any sugarhead.....

.....So far my favorite for both has been all white wheat. 20% malted and 80% unmalted. But I still have many more experiments to do before I will be satisfied that that is my favorite.

Time to dust of the Braumeister and do a run of this. I have all 3 of Pint's enzymes ready to go. When do you think you'll post your method PP?
LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.

likkerluvver

Equipment type: 3" pot, 4" bubbler

Postby prairiepiss » Thu May 30, 2013 9:14 pm

I have no idea. LOL. I've been holding out till I get my brew rig up and going. But like many of my projects its on hold for funding. Not to mention I've kinda put this stuff on hold for a while. But I'm not happy enough with the methods I have used so far. Basic AG methods. I want to go down the protein rest road. And haven't been able to do it with the equipment I've used.
prairiepiss

Postby midwest shinner » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:20 pm

I haven't tried Smiley's recipe or method but had the pleasure recently of meeting a member of the HD and MD forums named Jimbo who has a great recipe for a 100% red wheat malt whisky. I would definitely recommend checking it out. Just my humble opinion
Now some take delight in fishin' and bowlin'
And others take delight in carriages a-rollin'
But I take delight in the juice of the barley
And courtin' pretty girls in the morning so early
midwest shinner

Equipment type: 25L Copper alembic pot still with a thumper, 15.5 gal keg boiler with a 2" pot still head, currently working on a 2" Boka as well

Return to Proven Recipes