• Advertisement

Riku's wheat flour mash

If you made it and you liked it, please share. Questions about the recipes are welcome. Modifications should be placed in seperate topics.

Re: Riku's wheat flour mash

Postby Harry Nutzack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:57 pm

I know this is an old topic has anyone merged the DWWG recipe into this one or vice versa. I am going to do this recipe as my first AG and am considering adding a pound or two of wheat germ and taking out a pound or two of flour.
"I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to be considered the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man".
Harry Nutzack

Equipment type: 13 gal ss milk can w/3" copper column & 3 gal SS thumper

Postby Kapea » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Thank you for bumping this thread. I tasted some really nice wheat based spirits at the ADI conference. Came back all enthused about making some wheat based vodka, until I saw how expensive it is to get wheat malt and flaked wheat shipped out here to the far side of BFE. Wheat flour I can get here at a real reasonable price.

Yeah baby! :rkn:
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 am

Kapea I did this one its makes a really nice vodka.... you will still need the malt... i have even tried it with.. malted barley and its a nice tipple...

have fun

FS
FullySilenced

Postby brantoken » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:41 am

whole grain rye works well too....
Parental Digression Advised
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby Harry Nutzack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 pm

rkr I don't know if you are still around, thank you for this recipe, I just completed my first AG mash using this recipe and following your recipe I hit 1060 @ 86F so adjusted for heat 1064. :rkn: I replaced 1lb of wheat flour with 1 lb of wheat germ and I used a mixed wheat/barley malt extract from BSG. The ferment took off almost immediately, I made a starter and 2 hours after I added the yeast to the wash my airlock started singing. Again thank you.
"I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to be considered the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man".
Harry Nutzack

Postby punkin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:21 pm

I don't see how the malt extract could convert the starch in the flour?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby dellae » Thu May 01, 2014 3:43 am

Made a stack of this from whole wheat flour when it was on sale cheapas at the supermarkert.
Works brilliantly with enzymes - but then anything with starch seems too.
Just do it!
dellae

Equipment type: 4" - 7 Plate SD Bubble/Sieve, (65mm x 1mtr - now retired) (Shell'n'tube reflux), 50L electric kettle.
6kW heating with 3 elements. SSR40 power controller.
And a growing list of SD Parts.

Postby brantoken » Thu May 01, 2014 6:45 am

Punkin ,

Probably doing what I do. Mash the mashables to get the flavor out, nothing add flavors like mashing and then add sugar to get the ethanol content up.
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

Equipment type: 3 inch ,Vm, Hybrid pot and Vacuum convertible electric modular still.
10.5Kw is nice.

Postby Harry Nutzack » Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 am

Punkin I also used some of Pinto's enzymes.
Harry Nutzack

Postby brantoken » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 am

ok I got the same .... those darned things are amazing. I did a muskadine wash ( wild American grape) with some pectin. the combination ate the skins by the end of the ferment. It 's like magic...
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

10.5Kw is nice.

Postby Harry Nutzack » Thu May 01, 2014 1:16 pm

bran, pectin like you add to jams and jellies?
Punkin, i probably know less about starch conversion than any person on this forum, your post has got me wondering how does the malt know what it is converting? Example, if i were to grind a bunch of corn,rye,wheat, etc into a flour how would that stop the enzymes in the malt from converting them, say if instead i just cracked the grounds? Maybe i am comparing apples to oranges in reference to your post, IDK just curious.
Harry Nutzack

Postby brantoken » Thu May 01, 2014 1:35 pm

no an enzyme to eat pectin..... Pectinase, I think it is called....
TV
MA
SLV
brantoken

10.5Kw is nice.

Postby punkin » Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 pm

The enzymes in malt extract are denatured and won't convert anything.

Adding pinto enzymes will do the conversion just fine and they don't care what kind of grain starch it is.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Harry Nutzack » Thu May 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Punkin ahhh thank you for clarifying, now i am really confused :doh:, if malted grains cannot assist in converting unmalted grains or starches what is used to mash grains without using enzymes?
bran i didnt realize pectin was short for something else. Also thank you for clarifying i was fixing to pectin to all kinds of stuff lol.
Harry Nutzack

Postby punkin » Thu May 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Malted grains certainly work to convert unmalted grains. The enzymes work at around 64-69C. If you heat much above this the enzymes are very quickly denatured (killed) and will no longer work

To make malt extract they first make a mash, draw of the liquid wort (beer with no hops) and then boil it to reduce the water content and concentrate it either to a dry powder or a thick syrup.

The boiling will denature the enzymes (that have already done their job in the mash) and so malt extract has no active enzymes.

Seeing as you added malt as well as malt extract (but left that bit out of your first post, hence my original question) the malt worked to convert your flour, the malt extract added nothing but sugar and malt flavour.

punkin

PreviousNext

Return to Proven Recipes