• Advertisement

Wisdom of Wormwood in the home herb garden

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Re: Wisdom of Wormwood in the home herb garden

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Old threads over a page long should get randomly sent to the top of active topics just for the revisiting. There's alot of good buried content on this site..
Cap'n Canuck

In the Garden!

Postby Bushman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:30 pm

I got my anise seeds and Grand Wormwood seeds in the mail. Yesterday I planted them in small pots and created a make-shift greenhouse on the counter by a big window to get them started before transplanting to my garden. The Grand Wormwood seeds look like really fine grain sand. The instructions call for 3-5 seeds in each pot, good luck with that. The package came as 1000 seeds and I probably spread them into 20 pots, there is no way you can separate them out and count out 3-5.
Just sayin!
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Re: In the Garden!

Postby punkin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:07 pm

You could do what i do with carrot seed, place the seed in a jar and punch a small hole in the lid, fill the jar 2/3rd with beach sand and shake it with your finger over the hole. Then just tip it and run a line of sand along the furrow.

Not that you'd need 1000 plants anyway.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Re: In the Garden!

Postby Bushman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:10 pm

punkin wrote:You could do what i do with carrot seed, place the seed in a jar and punch a small hole in the lid, fill the jar 2/3rd with beach sand and shake it with your finger over the hole. Then just tip it and run a line of sand along the furrow.

Not that you'd need 1000 plants anyway.

Good idea too late I can't even see the seeds in the dirt.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Roman is coming back nicely this year. This is the first spring since it has been in the ground. Some hyssop and florence fennel popping up in the seed trays.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby punkin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Good idea alright, not mine though i saw it on a gardening show. Works a treat for small seeds.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Pa_bon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I do the same thing. It works. Depending on seed size you can also use rice mixed with the seed in a salt shaker. Works well for me.
Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
An echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

Pink Floyd
Pa_bon

Postby Bushman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I love these forums you learn something new damn near every day! :D
Bushman

Postby Tracker » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:32 pm

and not just about herb gardens either. :8)

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby ElectricEd » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 pm

"First, some reports state is spreads like wildfire"
I have artimesia absinthium and artemesa pontica growing in my yard and they are keeping to themselves nicely. I live in a cool temperate area with slightly acidic soil with a pH of 6~6.5. The pontica loves it and is growing profusely in a single bush. The absinthium is slower so I'll try raising the pH with some lime around it and see how that goes.
Tax?
What's that?
ElectricEd

Equipment type: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2 x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Bushman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 am

Before I move my small plants (once the seeds sprout) to the garden I need to check root depth and spacing of plants. Since I am planting in a community garden area I need to make sure my plants don't spread outside my area to the neighbors.
This as rejuvenated my interest in building as I am going to make a small 5 gallon still with a vapor basket just for using neutrals from my larger still to making both gin and absinthe. Could use my small essential oil still but just wanting to build something new.
Bushman

Postby sugarcreek » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:53 pm

zedzedtop wrote:Roman is coming back nicely this year.

Good luck getting it not to come back.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby zedzedtop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Well, it's pretty crap soil, and anywhere there's not rocks there's gophers. The initial rootball is on a mesh basket at least.

Anyone else grow hyssop?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Previous

Return to Other Life Stuff