• Advertisement

Morel Mushrooms & Wild Foods

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Re: Morel Mushrooms & Wild Foods

Postby Smokehouse Shiner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Bump. It's early in the year yet but I couldn't resist poking around one of my honey holes(I don't wanna hear it :roll: ). And so I present the first two Morels of the year...
0328111927.jpg
0328111927.jpg (220.56 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
:doh: I know they're not much but like I said it's early. I usually get at least a couple hundred big suckers when the season gets right. Still a month or so out. I did grill these guys up with some pork chops last night. Tasty but just a tease... Edit: Holy Screenbreaker, Batman! Can someone fix that huge picture please?? Sorry I'll resize next time.. :oops:
Applauding an alcoholic for not drinking is like applauding a cowboy with hemorrhoids for not riding his horse.
Smokehouse Shiner

Equipment type: Pot Still

Postby punkin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:43 pm

We went hunting in the pine forest last weekend. got a stack of Lactarius deliciosus, aka Milk caps.

Very nice tucker, taste a little like a mushroom chip after frying up.

Polish community here just love em.

milkcap1.jpg
milkcap1.jpg (214.62 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

milkcap2.jpg
milkcap2.jpg (214.89 KiB) Viewed 5839 times

milkcap3.jpg
milkcap3.jpg (167.15 KiB) Viewed 5839 times

Some were bigger than my hand and we could have picked buckets of em.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm sure you know what you're doing punkin, but around here there are other milk caps (not deliciosa) that are not good to eat. Lactarius has several species. Mostly under oak here.... Hopefully there will be some good morel finds too. Not too much burning this last summer, but there was the summer before.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby wolfman1961 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:12 pm

You'll all be dead or in hospital yet,,eatin that shit :barf: :barf:
May your glass be ever full,
May the roof over your head be always strong,
And may you be half an hour in heaven,
Before the devil knows you're dead.
wolfman1961

Equipment type: Coffee pot with a straw

Postby Smokehouse Shiner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:16 pm

zedzedtop wrote:I'm sure you know what you're doing punkin, but around here there are other milk caps (not deliciosa) that are not good to eat. Lactarius has several species. Mostly under oak here.... Hopefully there will be some good morel finds too. Not too much burning this last summer, but there was the summer before.

The Morels round here come back every year in the same spots. No need for forest fires! Rocky hillsides covered with Sycamore groves. :wink: Look for Mayflowers, too.
wolfman1961 wrote:You'll all be dead or in hospital yet,,eatin that shit :barf: :barf:
:arrow:
Applauding an alcoholic for not drinking is like applauding a cowboy with hemorrhoids for not riding his horse.
Smokehouse Shiner

Equipment type: Pot Still

Postby punkin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 am

zedzedtop wrote:I'm sure you know what you're doing punkin, but around here there are other milk caps (not deliciosa) that are not good to eat. Lactarius has several species. Mostly under oak here.... Hopefully there will be some good morel finds too. Not too much burning this last summer, but there was the summer before.

Not so much here i guess. When i asked (those i trust) i was told that there aren't really any lookalikes and as long as the latex is orange and it bruises green i'm sweet to go. :8)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby stilln n chilln » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I can't wait for the morels to start popping. It's usually late April / early May in my part of Michigan. Morels, leeks, and turkeys. Great time of the year. About that same time the crappies start spawning. So many tasties available in nature! :!:
stilln n chilln

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Got my first morel on the 28th of MArch
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby big worm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:18 pm

i went to the mushroom mountain yesterday and olga walked me out to the "morel woods" right behind their house and she picked 5 small ones within 5min i did not see one :(
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby Rebel_Yell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:10 pm

You were ogling Olga...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby pintoshine » Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 pm

I haven't seen any morels this year but my son found a couple 2 lb pear shaped puffballs today. Man are those tasty sauteed. It smelled up the whole house with unami.
It is wonderful to have a local option this early in the spring. Usually I have to wait until June for those.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby 777 seas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 am

Some lovely mushies from last spring, the puffball wieghed in at 12 Lbs. Sliced it like steaked breaded w/ seasonings and pan fry. Almost 15 Lbs of morels, dehydrated most of them for winter with crream of morel soup, and french onion and morel soup, goes good with a imperial stout on a cold day after hunting chukar and grouse.
Attachments
coffee cup and morel.jpg
coffee cup and morel.jpg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
s puff ball 12 pounds.jpg
s puff ball 12 pounds.jpg (27.16 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
mountain of morels.jpg
mountain of morels.jpg (20.53 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
777 seas

Postby hard times » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 am

Right around Easter and after in the northeast.
Can't wait! :!:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 pm

777 seas wrote:Some lovely mushies from last spring, the puffball wieghed in at 12 Lbs. Sliced it like steaked breaded w/ seasonings and pan fry. Almost 15 Lbs of morels, dehydrated most of them for winter with crream of morel soup, and french onion and morel soup, goes good with a imperial stout on a cold day after hunting chukar and grouse.

You sound like a man who understands the good life, especially when you add the chukar and grouse to the morel meal.

Do puffballs really grow in in juniper/sage country? I had no idea.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby 777 seas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Yup that one was the biggest I've ever seen it had a brother right next to it that was about 8 Lbs. The area was right next to a run off creek at the base of monument wilderness in oregon just about 1 mile up the road it transitions into timber. Guess it was wet enough for them, and it was early june. You could not drive 50 feet without spotting big juicy morels on the hill sides. But the down side is you have to save the mushrooms if you want them with game bird cause season doesnt start until july when mushies have already passed. Unless you can nab a spring turkey, love to eat them but hate cleaning turkey.
777 seas

PreviousNext

Return to Other Life Stuff