• Advertisement

Gardening 2012

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Gardening 2012

Postby terceslil » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:13 pm

This will be my second year (and second season) with my attempt at gardening. I have tried tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, and basel with success. I started my garden in the heat of July last year. Considering our heat, I did a pretty fair job. Here's my garden:

My rain barrel set up:

I have a little tangerine tree that never took off, but hope that it will soon. I also have a persimmon tree that makes a lot of persimmons every year.

My gf brought home this year's first tomato plant yesterday so I will probably get it planted today. I am hoping to get some citrus trees in here (I am clearing an acre). If I get the trees going my way, the fruit will make for some nice brandy. My gf also gave me a timer for Christmas, so watering should be easy this year: turn the timer from the rain barrel hose on in the morning before I leave to go to work, and the morning's watering will be done.

Might not be heating up yet in your area, so you might not be planting yet. But interested in what you will be planting this year.
“If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.”
-Thomas Jefferson

Download Distiller Notebook w/calculators
terceslil

Re: Gardening 2012

Postby Squint » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:30 pm

at the moment I have my seed potatoes under my bed in egg trays, so that they will chit (sprout)and will put them in the garden whenthe time is right.

I will be growing
Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Runner Beans
leeks
parsnips
Red Beet
Cabbage
Cauliflower (Romanesco)
we have Rhubarb growing and an Apple tree

and the wife will be growing all the bedding plants for the Hanging Baskets and flower borders in her new Greenhouse
Squint

Equipment type: It's all gone to a new home,

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby punkin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:32 pm

We are about to start the winter crops.

Have been picking, eating, blanching and freezing sweet corn. Have been preserving beetroot all summer and gifting, baby beets are terrific.
Have dwarf beans, stacks of herbs, garlic etc.

Will be planting onions and carrots in the next month.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Bushman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:34 pm

I have gained a higher interest in gardening since becoming involved with this hobby, rather than tomato's and carrots, etc. I am more interested in herbs! :D
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby big worm » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:57 pm

we have started planting early spring garden...seeds in the ground so far. spinach, turnip salad, green/blue kale, 5 color chard, swiss chard, sugar snap peas, snow peas, alaskan peas, onions, irish potatoes, beets.
we still have a lot of ground to plant early. i am sure most of you guys here know that we "market" garden so we small time farm on a large scale. we have doubled our size so i can afford to plant stuff that will be producing when its time to plant warm weather crops....i never had the space to "afford" that luxury before now :8)
i am glad to see others like to grow good food to eat....its a handy skill to know.
"It is wise to learn how to ferment local products that are cheap and abundant."
big worm

Postby minime » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:58 pm

terceslil wrote:My rain barrel set up:

That's a waste of good fermenters :(
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby dutchmancreek » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Damn...I still got snow on the ground.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby bentstick » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Yea we start plants in the house and are lucky to get plants in ground before full moon in may,chances of frost until full moon in june, last chance of frost depending when it is, we have short season here depending also on how much water is still on ground.
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby Squint » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:38 am

bentstick wrote:Yea we start plants in the house and are lucky to get plants in ground before full moon in may,chances of frost until full moon in june, last chance of frost depending when it is, we have short season here depending also on how much water is still on ground.

I have a friend who plants his crops to coinside with the phases of the moon, believe it not he never waters his crops and they are always good
certain phases to plant root crops and certain pgase to grow rop crops
Squint

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby Ratabilly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 am

I've been gardening for a few years, and getting better at it every time!

Last year, we ended up buying a lot of plants cause we didn't start early enough to plant our own inside. We bought the tomatoes cucumbers and peppers as plants, and we planted the rest ourselves.

I got so many peppers last summer that i had to give most of them away to my friend who owns a Bistro... He was happy as hell, they were awesome. I never thought peppers had such a strong smell, when we harvested and had them inside, the whole house smelled of peppers... Ever since i started gardening and eating home made food, i can't have anything that is store bought, it tastes processed, or has no taste at all.

This year I will be planting the same thing as last, but maybe make the garden a couple rows bigger and add some more stuff! Last year we had:

Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Carrots
Peppers
Broccoli
Potatoes
Lettuce
Strawberries
Corn
Onions
String beans
Radish

This year, ima double on the potatoes and onions, and make sure i keep them damn birds outta my crops! We got lucky last year and still did good, but them damn crows and birds ate maybe 1/4 of the seeds we planted...
It aged on the way out of the worm. :mg:
Ratabilly

Equipment type: keg beer stripper, 4 gallon spirit still with 2 gallon thumper, and another 3 gallon pot still lyin' around if anybody's willing to help.

Postby punkin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Bourbon Girl uses fishing line or string strung 4" above ground level with little alfoil streamers twisted on it everywhere to keep the sparrows off the small seedlings.

That my work for your problem too.

IUseAPointOneDoubleSevenPunkin

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Rebel_Yell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Carrots in the ground from the fall. Got fresh turnips and mustard greens. Kale and garlic doing well as always.
Got cabbage and broccoli starting indoors for early planting. About time to think about getting my peppers and tomatoes started. Potatoes are ready for planting soon. Need to get my sugar snap peas into dirt..

I use string when I can't be near and a .12 gauge when I can stand guard to keep the crows out. They tend to wait until seed is just sprouting and then pull it up. Planting too early when the soil is too cold can also cause seed to not germinate. As can planting too deeply and too much moisture..
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Squint » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:31 pm

for scaring birds ( feathered ) I use old CD's DVD's hung on string tied to a angled stick pushed in the ground,

looks really pretty twirling and sparkling in the sun, but the birds dont like em,

don't think it matters what the music / film is :roflmao:
Squint

Sad, really Sad I am.

Postby bentstick » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Dont need to scare the birds,after I cut loose on them with the 12ga they usually dont come back. Them damn deer are another story,to bad season starts after everything is in freezer or been in the wife's pressure cooker and is in jars. But there is also sausage in the freezer,along with backstraps!
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Deer in my garden are always in season. I do not mind canning chunked deer with fresh tomato.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Next

Return to Other Life Stuff