• Advertisement

1945 Park & Tilford Reserve

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

1945 Park & Tilford Reserve

Postby hard times » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Was given a bottle of 1945 Park & Tilford Reserve whiskey today as a gift for some work
my brother and I had done earlier in the day.
It is unopened but the cork has dried up and about a third of the contents is gone.
Can't say how good it would taste after 63yrs or if I should even try it, might just try and seal
the bottle better and let it be a conversation piece.
Dadgum thieven angels :)
If you enlarge the picture of the back label, you can see how it was blended.

Thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share.
Attachments
whiskey pics 005.JPG
whiskey pics 014.JPG
whiskey pics 023.JPG
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Re: 1945 Park & Tilford Reserve

Postby Dan P. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 am

A cool thing to have. It might even be valuable?
Too bad about the missing content. I wonder what that kind of evaporation would do to the taste.
You probably already know this, HT, but for those who don't; anything with a cork in it should really be stored on its side, otherwise the cork dries out and the bottle is left unsealed.
Dan P.

Equipment type: pot still

Re: 1945 Park & Tilford Reserve

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 am

Champagne and corked belgian beers don't. The intense compression of the cork is enough to keep them sealed. I think that the small amount of leakage from a whisky bottle (not considering THIS old though) would be minimal. With wine you care more about miniscule amounts of O2 causing oxidation reactions. I would think that the amount of air exchange needed to drop a whisky bottle by a cm would be enough to foul several hundred bottles of wine....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Return to Other Life Stuff