• Advertisement

Kava Kava

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Kava Kava

Postby mlb68 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Has anyone else tried Kava? I like it quite well when I don't want a drink and just want to relax for the evening. I have found a new use for my French press. Six or seven large table spoons of kava powder fill with cold water mix. Let it set for 15-20 minutes press it slow and done. Not sure where this should go and Mods are more than welcome to put it where ever. Just thought I'd offer something new that has not been posted on that I have found and enjoy from time to time.

mlb68
The fastest way out of a hole is stop digging
mlb68

Equipment type: 4gal pot with double thumper

Re: Kava Kava

Postby DavidWatkins » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 pm

I swear by it, wonderful stuff. A french press works well, but please buy a separate french press for kava and you probably don't want those flavors cross contaminating if some people (she who must be obeyed) are not also kava drinkers.

I've got two foolproof recipes for it to share. First, you can prepare it using pineapple juice and coconut milk instead of water. The pineapple juice contains enzymes and acid to break down the tough root matter and unleash the active contents of the powder, and the coconut milk binds those active ingredients for your body to absorb. The active chemicals in Kava, Kavain and Methysticin, are not water soluble. Many people advocate adding an emulsifier like Lecithin to properly extract the active contents, but I find the high fat content of coconut milk will bond quite well with kava.

You can also completely mask the taste of Kava by making bulletproof coffee (again with the coconut oil...) and adding the kava before you blend. Coffee and cream completely mask the taste of kava but even without letting it steep more than a few minutes, you'll feel everything go instantly numb when you drink it, a sure sign the Methysticin at least is coming over. I usually bulletproof kava coffee when introducing new folks to it due to the flavor concerns (most people, not a fan).

In the interest of staying on topic for the forum, you can extract Kavain and Methysticin (and their DiHydro variants; DHK and DHM) from the root with ethanol. Cover the root powder in as high a proof ethanol as you can get, agitate vigorously, allow to sit for a few hours, then allow the EtOH to evaporate (don't distill, you'll never get rid of the flavors). Depending on the purity of your EtOH, you'll either wind up with brown sticky goo or a brown crystalline mass.

Take care with the extract however as I found I could taste it through my fingertips. Also, a little goes a long way. Fun times.
DavidWatkins

Postby Kapea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:32 am

A good friend of mine, and his wife wrote this about awa:

Hawaiian Awa

Ed only took editor credits. This is his work. Ed is the goto guy with respect to awa.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Bushman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 am

I had never heard of it before and found these warnings in a science article written in 2009.

What the Science Says
Although scientific studies provide some evidence that kava may be beneficial for the management of anxiety, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning that using kava supplements has been linked to a risk of severe liver damage.
Kava is not a proven therapy for other uses.
NCCAM-funded studies on kava were suspended after the FDA issued its warning.

Side Effects and Cautions
Kava has been reported to cause liver damage, including hepatitis and liver failure (which can cause death).
Kava has been associated with several cases of dystonia (abnormal muscle spasm or involuntary muscle movements). Kava may interact with several drugs, including drugs used for Parkinson’s disease.
Long-term and/or heavy use of kava may result in scaly, yellowed skin.
Avoid driving and operating heavy machinery while taking kava because the herb has been reported to cause drowsiness.
Tell all your health care providers about any complementary health practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care. For tips about talking with your health care providers about complementary and alternative medicine, see NCCAM's Time to Talk campaign.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Kapea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 am

Well there ya go then. It was on the Internet so it must be true. Never mind a couple of thousand years of traditional Polynesian use.
Kapea

Postby Bushman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 am

Kapea wrote:Well there ya go then. It was on the Internet so it must be true. Never mind a couple of thousand years of traditional Polynesian use.

I don't believe everything on the Internet but I do look at the source. Here is another one from the University of Maryland School Of Medine. Again it says it may cause, kind of like cigarette smoking may cause some die some don't, use at your own risk.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Kapea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:27 pm

If you read the information in the book I linked to above you will find out a whole lot more about awa than the one-page government synopsis that you copied and pasted from.

You spend time in Hawaii, but have never heard of awa (kava)?
Kapea

Postby mikejwoodnz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Here's a great resource page :

http://www.justpacifictrading.com/index.php
My Terminal Cancer is now : maybe a little remission :-)
mikejwoodnz

Equipment type: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Postby vb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:42 pm

will be visiting Hawaii in a couple months, I'll give it a go then.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Bushman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Kapea wrote:If you read the information in the book I linked to above you will find out a whole lot more about awa than the one-page government synopsis that you copied and pasted from.

You spend time in Hawaii, but have never heard of awa (kava)?

I missed your link and although I have vacationed in Hawaii the last 3 years I guess I haven't been to the right places or with my age my memory is not so good! My wife probably knows :D
Bushman

Postby Kapea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm

The problems with awa come when high proof ethanol is used to make extracts and tinctures for awa supplements. Awa prepared the traditional ways for drinking is not toxic.
Kapea

Postby mlb68 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks Bushman for your concern and I have read all the reports that say just what you have but what the reports don't tell you like with some plants some parts can kill you but the same plant is also eaten by everyone. The study that was done is out of Germany and they found that the pill form of kava that was being produced at the time was being made from bark and root combined and the bark has been proven to be very bad for you. Kava done with a soak and massage also has FDA recommended dosage and what the effects are. I have to believe that since a few thousand year of trial in the pacific with no ill effect until you add in people looking for short cuts and quick money.

mlb68
mlb68

Postby Bushman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am

My wife probably married me because I am open to trying different foods as she has taken cooking classes all over the world. Kapea, thanks for the PDF it took a long time to download but will give it more attention later.

I know the medical profession comes out with comments and studies one day and the next year it changes. Having not ever hearing of it before I was interested and my curious nature got the best of me, I also know that's anyone can post on the Internet but it is still one of the fastest ways to search. I figured by posting some folks can make up their own minds, I personally would try it!
Bushman

Postby Kapea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 am

The first sign to be wary of the "information" is the publishers' alphabet soup moniker - FDA - NCCAM.
Now why would the FDA lie about non-prescription medicines.? Hmmm...
The second sign is the lack of useful information on the page, just generalities (all negative).

Kinda like HD's attitude towards synthetics. Or electrical transmission lines causing leukemia in children, or aluminum pots and pans causing Alzheimer's...

Sorry if I come across a bit too harshly about this. It is somewhat of a sore point with me (and my friend Ed even more so).
There is no need to perpetrate misinformation by spreading it elsewhere.
Kapea

Postby mlb68 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 pm

If anyone wants to give it a try kona kava in Hawai has good quality and fair prices. Not trying to sell for them but I do trust them. Take look at there web page, easy to find one of the top suppliers.

mlb68
mlb68

Return to Other Life Stuff