• Advertisement

Wisdom of Wormwood in the home herb garden

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Wisdom of Wormwood in the home herb garden

Postby sugarcreek » Sun May 12, 2013 7:39 am

Im working toward putting together an absinthe herb garden (too late for this year Im afraid at least for the annuals) which will consist of:

Anise - Pimpinella anisum
Grand Wormwood - Artemisia absinthium
Florence Fennel - Foeniculum vulgare azoricum
Coriander - Coriandrum sativum
Angelica - Angelica archangelica
Petite (Roman) Wormwood -Artemisia pontica
Lemon balm (Melissa) - Melissa officinalis
Hyssop (Anise Hyssop) - Agastache foeniculum

I've found sources and info for all but the grand and roman wormwood. Regardless, Ive read mixed review about the wisdom of planting wormwood near other plants. First, some reports state is spreads like wildfire and is considered invasive. I plan to container my lemon balm because I know from experience it spreads worse than mint. Any thought on planting wormwood (when I can locate it) in containers? Is wormwood winter hardy in zone 5? Lastly, vendors where I might source the two varieties of wormwood?

Thanks,
SC
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Re: Wisdom of Wormwood in the home herb garden

Postby edwatters » Sun May 12, 2013 8:08 am

My florist told me it is an annual and will die off in winter and return in spring if you cut close to the soil level, ans yes it will spread like crazy, we had some in our yard as a ornamental plant before I learned it was used to make liquors. Lol
edwatters

Postby okie » Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 am

Make a tea out of it and it will kill most internal parasites. Everybody gets them. You eat salad and fruits so you will get worms. It's a good idea to deworm every few years.

I like your idea and I might do the same if you get good results. Keep us informed. If it spreads, pot it. I had mint in a pot and it actually busted the pot. Cracked it all down the side from top to bottom. I keep a pot of it growing but now I toss it every year and start new yearly.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby zedzedtop » Sun May 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Depends on the climate. It grows here all year. Grand you should be able to find pretty easily. I might even have some seeds around somewhere. Can't find pontica myself. I wouldn't worry too much about the grand spreading. It's a hearty, spreading plant, but easy to rip out.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby sugarcreek » Sun May 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Ya'll on the left coast have fantastic herb weather. I remember eating out in Napa somewhere (Mustard's or Brix or French Laundry maybe -- this was back in the day) and they literally have shrubrows of rosemary. Tres incredible. I've found a couple of sources of petite out on the right coast Im going to contact tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find if you're intersted.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby zedzedtop » Sun May 12, 2013 11:22 pm

I just took some of the seeds to a sprouting tray. If any take I'll mail you some sprouts or the rest of the seed, if you'd like. Let me know if you track down any roman stock, plant or seed.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

zedzedtop

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 am

sugarcreek wrote:Ya'll on the left coast have fantastic herb weather.

Yup. Ten million stoners agree with you. :lol:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby timmyjane » Sun May 19, 2013 8:10 pm

I like this idea. Are you sourcing the seeds locally or via the net?
timmyjane

Equipment type: Electric 3" multi valved modular LM/VM with inline thumper and heads reservoir.

Postby zedzedtop » Mon May 20, 2013 3:17 am

Looks like the absenthinium seeds sprouted well. I planted three pots, one with that, and two others with other culinary herbs. Earwigs have decimated one of the pots. I hope it's not the grand. Can't tell what's what as they are all only showing cotyledons.

zedzedtop

Postby mlb68 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:08 am

SC I can understand that you would like to be able to grow your own herbs for absinthe, but the herbs are so cheap on ebay that your time may worth more than the cost to buy them on the net. For twenty or less you can have all you would ever want. Just a thought.

mlb68
The fastest way out of a hole is stop digging
mlb68

Equipment type: 4gal pot with double thumper

Postby pintoshine » Mon May 27, 2013 7:34 am

The ones you should be concerned with the Artemesias, Absinthe plants, are weeds. I have two other varieties. I have learned that if I want them in an area all I have to do is spray with a RoundUp type product. So needless to say my gravel driveway is covered with a small, yellow flowered variety that smells like an air freshener. The rest of the property has scattered plots of common wormwood.
I wish either was worth some sort of monetary value.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby sugarcreek » Mon May 27, 2013 2:51 pm

mlb68 said:

SC I can understand that you would like to be able to grow your own herbs for absinthe

Actually you didn't understand! I just want to grow the herbs as groundcover / garden plants that for actual use. As you correctly noted, I can get the dried products quite inexpensively and the fact that the 'herb bills' for absinthe are incredibly large -- it woudl take an acre just for the roman. Yikes! What Pint said has me concerned: it took a few years (not kidding) to rid my garden of lemon balm and mint!

Eric
sugarcreek

Postby Idle Hands » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 am

Wormwood will survive most winters and can be cut back. The best quality in the western hemisphere comes from Montana. It has a sweet flavor, not as astringent as many varieties. I grow fennel of Florence as well as lemon balm and sometimes Hyssop. Most of the herbs you get on-line are trash but the best are from http://www.absintheherbs.com/ I love absinthe and makes some fine stuff. I also love to cook and grow culinary herbs as well.
Idle Hands

Equipment type: Alambic

Postby Bushman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:02 am

I noticed this old thread has been revived so thought I would weigh in: I would give Marc at Pacifque a call. The link to his distillery is below. His family started out making essential oils from their herb farm and his passion for gin and absinthe led him to France to study and currently his absinthe is considered one of the best made in the US. He is very open about discussions on ingredience as I have sent him several recipes and he has always gotten back to me. (Kapea and ZB, I tried to take you there on our day tour but he was closed).
http://pacificdistillery.com
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Idle Hands » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Marc's a good man. The fennel in my yard is from some I get from him. The Voyager Gin is excellent.
Idle Hands

Equipment type: Alambic

Next

Return to Other Life Stuff