• Advertisement

Garage/Brewery/Distillery nearing completion!

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Garage/Brewery/Distillery nearing completion!

Postby sugarcreek » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Well it's nearly done. Poured the foundation 10 months ago and have started siding just this week. Shit goes SO SLOWLY when you try to do it yourself. Power company came and ran power today. Wasnt able to do my own panel due to permitting issues (as in: I had to have one) although when the electrician asked what I wanted him to say my reply was, "Code minimum". I think he got what I was up to. Here's as she sits now and a panel waiting to be filled with element-power-providing circuits. (I'm quite pleased!)

IMG_20130820_143035.jpg

IMG_20130820_142940.jpg

For what reason I dont know, but he put each of the GFCI outlet, the garage door opener, and the overheads lights on their own circuit. Shrug.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Re: Garage/Brewery/Distillery nearing completion!

Postby dad300 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:08 pm

say, "Dream come true!" Beautiful...
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby dutchmancreek » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Lookin' good. I'm just finishing the interior of mine.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby rockchucker22 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Oh man I love it!
dancing on wire both ends are on fire
rockchucker22

Postby Swede » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Can't wait to see what the inside will end up looking like once you get it setup in there.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby zedzedtop » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:35 pm

I think you need to have one side of the roof caving in and some old stoves sinking into the ground outside for it to be fully authentic.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Smaug » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Say Sugar,,,got floor drains?
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby sugarcreek » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Say Sugar,,,got floor drains?

Funny you ask. I enquired to my concrete guy about floor drains and was informed that unless they go into sanitary sewers are code in my jurisdiction. Id really love to come up with a DIY idea of how I could retrofit floor drains. Otherwise it's going to be floor squeegeez for me.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 pm

I once saw a perforated 55 gal barrel buried in a pit that was lined with coarse gravel. I have used a pressure washer with the extra long wand along with galvanized pipe and a sledge hammer to tunnel under a concrete slab. Wash a bit inside the pipe and drive it forward... repeat.. Directional boring would be simpler if you know someone...

20/20 hindsight... you should have buried the drain underneath the slab and completed it after final inspection is done. Measure the location of the pipe end inside the form/building. Rent a concrete saw and cut a section of the floor out. Install drain and hand pour properly sloped cement floor...

Shed looks good. I know that you'll enjoy it.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby bentstick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Rebel_Yell wrote:I once saw a perforated 55 gal barrel buried in a pit that was lined with coarse gravel. I have used a pressure washer with the extra long wand along with galvanized pipe and a sledge hammer to tunnel under a concrete slab. Wash a bit inside the pipe and drive it forward... repeat.. Directional boring would be simpler if you know someone...

20/20 hindsight... you should have buried the drain underneath the slab and completed it after final inspection is done. Measure the location of the pipe end inside the form/building. Rent a concrete saw and cut a section of the floor out. Install drain and hand pour properly sloped cement floor...

Shed looks good. I know that you'll enjoy it.

Agree with run it and bury it,chip it out when inspectors are gone,a little late but next build Sugar :!:
Sweet lookin shed though,you did well,what are you siding it with?(type)
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby Smaug » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:02 pm

I built a (owner/builder permit) laundry/hurricane shelter "out building" for a guy down here that hid his drains just below the slab.
We got our inspection on the slab then pulled every thing back and exposed the pre-installed waste lines in order to install the "stub ups" for the drains just below the slab.

We poured the slab with the drain accommodations barely below the FF elevation. He finished his shelter and got the final inspection and exposed the easily found floor drains after the authority having jurisdiction issued the C/O. The dude was a plumber by trade and so had his plan well sorted.

Just thinking how nice a floor drain would be.
Nice building either way.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Kapea » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Great looking shed there SC. Where's the "No Girls Allowed" sign? :lol:

If your concrete floor doesn't fall to the drain you'll be pushing water around with a squeegee anyway. You could cut a trench drain, then use a concrete saw to cut narrow grooves that fall to the drain. Or you could just buy rubber boots and forgo all the work and uglified floor.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby punkin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Looks good mate.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby sugarcreek » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:23 pm

I think you need to have one side of the roof caving in and some old stoves sinking into the ground outside for it to be fully authentic.

The gas cans, generator, and corny kegs arent enough??

Sweet lookin shed though,you did well,what are you siding it with?(type)

I'm siding it with pre-finished 8" Hardie Plank in Boothbay Blue.

Re: Floor drains -- now ya'll got me thinking. Adding one would only be mildly wretched. The garage floor sits about 9" above grade. It's not like I'd be washing fecal matter (probalby a little #1) down it so I'd be OK to dump it out into the yard OR there's an alley behind it. The garage foundation is comprised of 30" block stemwall and floating floor. Of note, in my jurisdiction you can't get a permit for a garage drain. My guess is because too may fuckwits dump their used oil / antifreeze / you name it down there. I was using the Google machine and came across this. That would be really nice to section off the brewing/distilling area, dump into a sump pit, then pump into the alley.... This also looks nice. I think I could do this. Thanks everyone for great drain ideas!
sugarcreek

Postby Azframer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Hardie Plank is some good stuff I never hung the pre finished stuff. My whole house is done in the 8" with 1" lap.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Next

Return to Other Life Stuff