• Advertisement

Garage/Brewery/Distillery nearing completion!

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Re: Garage/Brewery/Distillery nearing completion!

Postby jake_leg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 pm

My driveway slopes down to the garage which floods when there is a storm, even though there is a drain hole in the middle of the slab. I have been thinking about installing drainage channel on the threshold to the garage to stop that happening.
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Postby punkin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Mines not a floor drain, but it works very well. It has hardly any fall and could be put ontop of your existing floor. No good for hosing the place out, but i for one can get away with not hosing. As a drain for backset and washing kegs and drums it's faultless.

It is hooked up to my sewer though.

distillery1washtrough1.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby bentstick » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:53 pm

sugarcreek wrote:
I think you need to have one side of the roof caving in and some old stoves sinking into the ground outside for it to be fully authentic.

The gas cans, generator, and corny kegs arent enough??

Sweet lookin shed though,you did well,what are you siding it with?(type)

I'm siding it with pre-finished 8" Hardie Plank in Boothbay Blue.

Re: Floor drains -- now ya'll got me thinking. Adding one would only be mildly wretched. The garage floor sits about 9" above grade. It's not like I'd be washing fecal matter (probalby a little #1) down it so I'd be OK to dump it out into the yard OR there's an alley behind it. The garage foundation is comprised of 30" block stemwall and floating floor. Of note, in my jurisdiction you can't get a permit for a garage drain. My guess is because too may fuckwits dump their used oil / antifreeze / you name it down there. I was using the Google machine and came across this. That would be really nice to section off the brewing/distilling area, dump into a sump pit, then pump into the alley.... This also looks nice. I think I could do this. Thanks everyone for great drain ideas!

Hardie board is good stuff,but nasty as hell to cut unless you use a gillateen type cut off tool(slick things to use) and a set of electric shears around the door and windows for horizontal cuts,I will get you the name of cut off tool we use,much cleaner than grinder and circular saw! :rkn: FYI paint all your cut ends or any where you expose the cement!
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby Kapea » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:59 pm

A combination of RY's 55 gallon drum and Punkin's drain pan should work well. That would keep your wastewater out of the alley behind your property. Neighbors can get pissy about that kind of stuff.

Of course the 55 gallon drum cesspool idea only works if your soil is permeable enough for timely seepage. I installed one for my washing machine wastewater at my home in Florida (wanted to keep the washing machine water out of the septic system). It worked great for the ten years I owned that house. The soil there was very sandy.

And, installing the 55 gallon "dry well" would be something you would probably want to do on the down-low. I doubt you can get it permitted.
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Smaug » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Lift station is an equally great solution.
There are some really cheap solutions that can easily cope with 15 ft of head.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby sugarcreek » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Azframer said:

Hardie Plank is some good stuff I never hung the pre finished stuff. My whole house is done in the 8" with 1" lap.

I went prefinished for two reasons: first, that's what's on the house. Second, I can see myself leaving it unpainted for, well, way too long!
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby sugarcreek » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:58 pm

@punkin -- that's a great idea. We'd call it a floor level slop sink. You've got me thinking....

@bentstick said:
Hardie board is good stuff,but nasty as hell to cut unless you use a gillateen type cut off tool(slick things to use) and a set of electric shears around the door and windows for horizontal cuts,I will get you the name of cut off tool we use,much cleaner than grinder and circular saw! :rkn: FYI paint all your cut ends or any where you expose the cement!

Yes, the silica in the hardie dust (or really any fiber cement product) is nasty as hell. I have a set of shears that I use for all the cuts. My trim is all rabbeted Azek brand cellular PVC so the cut end of the Hardie is hidden. It's this stuff -- scroll to the "azek rabbeted to see what I mean. Im not sure if you're supposed to paint the ends for cosmetic reasons or to seal it but I got a few of the touchup kits and did it even though it's not visible.

@Kapea said:
A combination of RY's 55 gallon drum and Punkin's drain pan should work well. That would keep your wastewater out of the alley behind your property. Neighbors can get pissy about that kind of stuff.

I think you're right. I'll look into the trough drain and when that fails to punkins route. As for the alley, the homes are set about 200 ft away so I could potentially get away with it. Bottom line is that some type of drain is in my future.

Of course the 55 gallon drum cesspool idea only works if your soil is permeable enough for timely seepage. I installed one for my washing machine wastewater at my home in Florida (wanted to keep the washing machine water out of the septic system). It worked great for the ten years I owned that house. The soil there was very sandy.

Not the case here unfortunately.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

The 55 gal drum will work in clay soil provided that you add the gravel around the drum to provide more volume and you do not put more than about 100 gallons of liquid into it each week. Your soil must percolate. Just like getting a permit to install a septic tank. It can't be below the water table and work.

If you think that you can run water out on top of the ground and be OK... My suggestion will work.

I saw this first hand; dug into Alabama clay on the shore of a man-made lake. We were too close to the water. They generated hydro electric from there. We did not have a proper ground. You would get shocked by anything electrical... The toilet did work... Had to move the trailer out of the electric company's water-right of way. Dug a new septic tank just like the old one and never looked back.

I have installed and maintained many septic systems since. Most are between 1000 and 2500 gallons depending on the household size. This size allows for ALL the water from sinks, bathtubs, toilets, dishwashers and clothes washers to enter the system.

Hell bells... today I might even just use a plastic drum or two connected to a short field line. Weekend usage should not cause any issues. No drainage into the street. Just a bit more grass to mow...

Otherwise... install a lift and pump it into your sewerage. Then it can be back tracked to you...

Oh yeah... no solids enter either system.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby bentstick » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:41 am

@ SugarCreek,Yes sir have used truck loads of the stuff! We now use a product(same stuff different pattern of grain look) called Versatek. Buuuuuutttttt what ever happened to wood,the pvc products(up here) do not take the temp changes well! Gaps in winter time and buckles in the summer. :doh: it will look good when you are done, sugar have fun finishing your play house and enjoy YOUR space :8)
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby sugarcreek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 am

My house is done in Versatex -- local distributor just stopped handling it so I went with Azek. And yes, gapping in the winter is horrible. I've gone to shorter runs for the facia at teh recommendation of the mnfctr and "overnail" within 24" of the ends. It's a problem. I've only installed in the summer when it's most likely as expanded as it gets, but that just means it will shrink more! But I think the pros (easy of install, never paint, never warp or cup, no rot / spinter) outway the cons (shrinkage in cold, $$$)
sugarcreek

Previous

Return to Other Life Stuff