• Advertisement

Gardening 2013

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Re: Gardening 2013

Postby ArcticShine » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 pm

didnt even know asparagus grows up out of the ground, learn something new everyday.
ArcticShine

Equipment type: 6 gal. S.S. 2" potstill with worm externally heated
20 liter keg Style boiler, Electric 110 v. Potstill with 3/8" worm

Postby punkin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:36 pm

It's prolific Joe. They grow from a crown, that's sort of like a rhizome root. We have 5 crowns in a little bed as big as a coffin. First year we didn't pick them, second year we picked a few, maybe a couple of feeds.
Third year we picked plenty, i think this is year 5 and they grow as thick and fast as you can cut them.

Cut ten today and twenty will be there day after tommorow.

Season goes for a couple of months then they get a bit spindly and you let them grow over summer and die off over winter to store some more energy for spring.

Great feed that never needs planting again. 5 crowns cost me $20 from the nursery, considering it's usually $3 a bunch (maybe down to $1.50 this time of year) it pays for itself pretty damn quick.

Chicken, spagarus and sweetcorn soup for dinner last night with wholegrain toast and butter dripping.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby bentstick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Rebel_Yell wrote:You are too far north brother stick..

Use row cover and tunnel houses to extend our season when needed around here. The cole crops and such live in the landscape though.

I've been working with season extending methods for a bit now. We like our fresh veggies and want to be able to provide them to others.

Yes sir to far north! is relized every time the snow hits,but have a bit of time yet before is possible to move,working on warmer climates, have to stay where I make my living and what I know,better times on the horizon,as they say summer is 2 weeks of bad Ice fishing(not quite that bad but not to far off) when it hits 85 we sweat our ass off,yes I will find a warm,comfortable place to be once I am done paying my fair share of the price to keep our country going! :beer:

PS Somewhere along the Mississippi flyway! :D
PSS we are under freeze warnings AGAIN tonight they forecasting 30 down to 28 f already :shock:
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby Bushman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 am

I've been babying a Buddhas Hand plant that I ordered online and it will spend the winter indoors. It's grown about 2" since this spring. Hopefully I will have some fruit in a couple years to make citrus drinks.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby ArcticShine » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:28 am

I've only ate asparegus out of a can, soft and spongy, very soft, and I actually like. I seen a bunch sold new (i guess) and thought they were really hard. We are getting snow but melting quickly, little ponds are getting icing on the edges :)
ArcticShine

Equipment type: 6 gal. S.S. 2" potstill with worm externally heated
20 liter keg Style boiler, Electric 110 v. Potstill with 3/8" worm

Postby dutchmancreek » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:27 pm

bentstick wrote:PS Somewhere along the Mississippi flyway!

I lived on the Mississippi flyway for the last 25 years (just moved 2 years ago up here to the mountain state).

If you like to hunt ducks and Canada geese, that's the place to be. Sometimes the geese were so thick flying over, you couldn't hear yourself talk for all the honking.

Of course, in a lot of areas you would be trading your cold weather for lots of heat and humidity. That's one reason we moved (along with floods along the Mississippi and Ohio, earthquakes, ticks & mosquitoes, and of course those pesky tornadoes).
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby bentstick » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:52 pm

dutchmancreek wrote:
bentstick wrote:PS Somewhere along the Mississippi flyway!

I lived on the Mississippi flyway for the last 25 years (just moved 2 years ago up here to the mountain state).

If you like to hunt ducks and Canada geese, that's the place to be. Sometimes the geese were so thick flying over, you couldn't hear yourself talk for all the honking.

Of course, in a lot of areas you would be trading your cold weather for lots of heat and humidity. That's one reason we moved (along with floods along the Mississippi and Ohio, earthquakes, ticks & mosquitoes, and of course those pesky tornadoes).

The cold is going to be the easiest thing to leave,it is not bad for the first 3 months after that it gets old,The wife and I like our gardens and fresh produce,but I guess we are here so no use in sulking,it does have its benefits,water fowling is good plenty of Canada Geese,ducks ,deer,tree rats,etc and it is home! But I like the sound of heat in Jan. :beer:

Sorry :offtopic:
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby just sayin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Dutch, you are a great addition to W(BG*)V! Have you ever gotten your blacksmith shop backup and running? After college, nearly 40 years ago, we lived in southwestern Ohio for about seven years, I always told them it seems the Lord first made the Ohio river and worked west, by the time he got back to the Mountain State he had the all bugs worked out. I have been told John Denver had just heard the rumor that from here Heaven is a local call , when he wrote "Country Roads"....................Just Sayin'

*By God
just sayin'

Postby dutchmancreek » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm

The smithy is almost completed....still have some electrical work to do, but the forge is in place.

We really like West Virginia, plus it's close to the relatives in Ohio and the cabin in Pennsylvania.

Gave up entirely on gardening...short growing season (compared to the old farm) and every time I dig a hole I hit rocks.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby vb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:58 pm

spent the day planting trees on the acreage, probably won't be able to lay foundations for the house till spring, but Needed to make my mark on the patch.
rented a gas powered post hole digger, and very glad I did. the dirt was free of rocks and digs well by hand, but 19 holes would have killed me digging by hand.
good news though while digging, there was a consistent 12-14" layer of nice dark top soil every where I dug, and in 21 holes (dug a couple in the wrong place) I hit only a single stone.
Gardening next year is going to be a pleasure, once its tilled.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Kapea » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:40 pm

But, how are you ever gonna develop forearms like Popeye using a power auger? Real men use post hole diggers! :wink:
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby jake_leg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Well, I now have plenty of unripe bhut jolokias on the plant but I had to dig it up and put the beast in a pot so that I could bring it inside now that it's dipping below 50 in the early mornings. And it isn't happy, floppy leaves say I damaged the roots :(
I remember Aaron Schnell
jake_leg

Previous

Return to Other Life Stuff