• Advertisement

Pig

This is for posting links to other forums where you are discussing stuff you would like to share with other members.

Pig

Postby Mud » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Anybody raise their own? I want to raise 2 or 3 at most. The idea being to eat one and sell the others to cover expenses. I'm not much into livestock but this sounds doable.

A local guy here raises Durocks. Its a cross and he couldn't tell me what kind. Naturally I assumed you would glue tile to these pigs but he said not. He says the guy he buys from will have a litter available in March.

Any advice from experienced folks would be appreciated.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Re: Pig

Postby Rebel_Yell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Electric fence... Never raise just one. Always at least two. They compete for food and grow faster. Save all your table/kitchen scraps for them. If you can buy stale bread locally, get it to feed them.
Got about 30 yrs experience on concrete and dirt... You know how to contact me..
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby Mud » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks Rebel. They're going on the acreage and there's no power available over there anymore. :(
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Smaug » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm

My daughter treats hers pretty much like a dog.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby zedzedtop » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:50 pm

I heard too that if you only have one you'll never be able to kill it.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby Rebel_Yell » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 am

They make solar chargers with batteries. I would want a woven wire fence to help keep out trouble since they will be somewhat remote.

Teach them to come when you call. Yell out sooie, here pig pig. Do this two or three times when feeding them. They will associate feed and comfort with you and the call. If they ever stray from your fenced area, you'll be able to call them to you.

Always shut the gate....
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby dutchmancreek » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:45 am

When we had the farm we used solar fence chargers all the time. They work great. The battery keeps it going on grey days.

Never name the livestock.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby stilln n chilln » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:25 am

Rebel I have always heard that pigs are hard to contain, that they always seem to find a way out. Did you find that to be the case?
stilln n chilln

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:59 pm

When my son was in Future Farmers of America, he raised durocs, and they were great porkers (as opposed to baconers). Long, lean red beasts that made fabulous hams, if you have a local meat-curing shop or do it yourself.

We had to put a hotwire on (maybe 4") standoffs a few inches above ground level, or the pigs would try to root under the fence. After a while, they learned that they could root the galvanized gate off its hinge pins, and let themselves out. They were tame and friendly enough that they didn't run off, but when they started accompanying the dog down the lane to meet the kids getting off the school bus, I had to fix the gate.

If you have much of a vegetable garden, after everything is harvested you can turn the pigs in to cultivate and fertilize the fallow garden. You may need to give some control and supervision to them in the process, but they love it and do one helluva job.

Lastly, they love distillers spent grain, which is similar in protein-starch ratios to the very high-priced pig feed the kids have to buy to be competitive in weight-gain at the county fair. The first time I fed them spent corn that had been fermented on, they went nuts eating it, and when we went out later, they were all crashed in a pile, snoring and farting.

I think you'll enjoy durocs, and tasty? - mmmmm.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby punkin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:55 pm

We grew ten Large Blacks. The best eating pork i or anyone who tried them has had in their lives.

We sourced vegie scraps from fruit shops, grain from the seed graders and day old bread from bread shops. Beware giving them too much bread as it adds fat.
We found a lot of specials from the feed stores as they'd have bags of horse feed etc that had got wet or had a little mold etc that were on special here and there.

As the others have said, we had all sorts of problems with them escaping until we put a hotwire in on a solar charger/battery set up. They'd even climb each other to get over the fence and we'd be scratching our heads why we had 9 escapees and one good ol guy left in the sty.
Ebay has plenty of the electric setups. You can see the low tape in the first photo, never a problem after that.

If you have time to feed them twice a day and room to hang them cool for a week it's one of the best things ever and i wish like hell i had room to keep a couple.

I posted a stack of pics and the story somewhere here (i thought it had it's own thread) but i can't find them. Probably lost in the What's For Supper thread somewhere.

pigs1.jpg

pigs2.jpg

pigs4.jpg

pigs6.jpg

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby punkin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 pm

They ended up labelled as Coco Chops as one of the guys daughters had been hand feeding and was in love with one that was supposed to be spared to be a breeder cept it copped a bullet after being misidentified.

Poor old Coco :roflmao:

pigs8.jpg

pigs9.jpg

pigs10.jpg

Happy to run through the steps of the process for you if you like?

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Mud » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:39 pm

I'll check out solar chargers. Seems a pretty simple solution. Thanks guys.

Bacon is going to be important to this process. Maybe another breed is in order.

Punkin, anything you want to share would be great.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Rebel_Yell » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:04 pm

stilln n chilln wrote:Rebel I have always heard that pigs are hard to contain, that they always seem to find a way out. Did you find that to be the case?

I have more than 30 years experience with raising hogs. Farrow to market and on wire, concrete and dirt. Had over 1500 head much of that time.
Hogs are smart. They learn that an electric fence hurts in about 2 times trying it. I have kept gilts behind 1 wire and farrowing sows behind two to keep the piglets from going under. Had about 5 acres done this way into different lots. Had to set up a temporary corral to load them into a trailer to move between padlocks. They knew where the fence was and would run over you to keep from crossing that boundary even with the wire gate out of their sight.
But, I know that shit happens. This is why I say get them used to your call. They will come a running..

Dutch..
I name all my pigs raised for our table. Breakfast, pork chop, Bacon on the hoof and supper have been used.
Your results may vary..
Rebel_Yell

Postby Mud » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Googled Large Blacks. Results were mixed but the ones having to do with pigs said they are good baconers.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 am

Actually, the duroc bacon was good, but it was lean, which I like. The old traditional baconers had lots of fat, at least so I've been told.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Next

Return to Other Life Stuff