• Advertisement

evaporated cane juice syrup --SE USA?

If you need something maybe someone has found it already. Look here. If you know where supplies are in your area share your knowledge.

Re: evaporated cane juice syrup --SE USA?

Postby prairiepiss » Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 pm

You mite look at it this way. A pound of panela is not the same as a pound of condensed cane juice. The panela will have less water content. So in reality you are getting more sugar and less water per pound with panela.
prairiepiss

Equipment type: 15.5 gal keg boiler with 2 5500w 220v elements. Now running 220v Stilldragon controller on one element.
30" X 2" Pot Still CM modular combo column.
16" X 3" shotgun condenser 5 1/2" X 11" and 4 1/4" X 11" tubes and built in gin basket.
8" bubble ball addition named Fu Man.

Postby dad300 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Cheapest Panela I get is from a local Latina grocery. They have five brands. Only cheaper because of no shipping.

Steen's Cane Syrup

4.50usd for 12 oz...at local stores

I get Steen's, but haven't used it like sugar...we use it in place of maple syrup.

I found a Food Grade Powdered Molasses, meant for bakers at

bulkfoods.com/whole-foods.asp?wholesale=4117

It is 93% solids....at less than $3usd per pound! You're not shipping water. Never spoils and can't get infected.
molasses_powder.jpg
molasses_powder.jpg (1.99 KiB) Viewed 3402 times

This molasses powder contains 75% unsulfured blackstrap molasses.

Use enough molasses to flavor the food and limit so there is no overly strong flavor. The more the better for nutrition.

4 tsps molasses powder = 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses.
2 tsps molasses powder = 1 tbsp standard dark molasses.
1 tsps molasses powder = 1 tbsp Robust Grandmas Molasses Green Label
1/2 tsps molasses powder = 1 tbsp Grandmas Yellow Label Molasses.

Molasses is the concentrated juice of a high sugar product. Non sugar solids are the nutritional part which contains the minerals and the strong flavor characteristic molasses. Order Molasses

Grandma's molasses yellow label is sugar concentrate with no sugar extracted out and contains approximately 3.5% non sugar solids.

Grandma's robust molasses green label and Barbados Molasses is first molasses with the first crystallization of sugar concentrated out and contains approximately 7% non sugar solids.

Standard Dark Molasses is second molasses and has two crystallizations of sugar concentrated out and contains approximately 15% non sugar solids. Commonly referred to as molasses in recipes.

Blackstrap Molasses has three crystallizations of sugar concentrated out and contains approximately 34% non sugar solids.

Approximate recipe equalizations:
1 1/3 cup molasses powder + 1/3 cup water = 1 cup blackstrap molasses.
2/3 cup molasses powder + 2/3 cup sugar + 1/3 cup water = 1 cup standard dark molasses.
1/3 cup molasses powder + 1 cup sugar + 1/3 cup water = 1 cup Barbados Molasses or Robust Grandmas Green Label Molasses.
1/6 cup molasses powder + 1 1/6 cup sugar + 1/3 cup water = 1 cup Grandmas Yellow Label Molasses.
dad300

Equipment type: CCVM any size...

Postby Ga.goat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:27 pm

You could try riding on some local rural roads and look for who is growing cane ,, stop and ask if they make syrup , That is how I got hooked up to get mine ,, but I live in a rural setting so I already knew . or go to the local feed store or local country store and read the label on locally produced syrup (in season) ,,, put a wanted ad in the local Craig list . Some regonal super markets handle local syrup again it's all when it's season , this may not line up with exactly when you want it but get it when you can use it when you need it .
Those who forfit freedom for security will know neither
Ga.goat

Previous

Return to Find Stuff