• Advertisement

Cautionary Steam Vacuum Tale

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Cautionary Steam Vacuum Tale

Postby akira7799 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Hey All,

Just thought I'd let everyone know that a vacuum created by a steam-masher is no joke.

I mashed with my steam generator (ala Pint's setup) today and about an hour in I remembered that my oldest had martial arts class, so I shut it down and headed out (without opening the break-valve). I think you can see where this is going...so, a couple hours later I'm putting the baby to sleep and say to myself, "Oh shit! I forgot to crack the valve!" I find my mashing container filled with 3 gallons (12 gallon original volume) of corn sludge and I slowly crack the release valve. I hear a whoosh with an immediate equalization of pressure and the bottom of my boiler pops out the other way.

Thankfully, nothing way broken and all I ended up with was a poorly bruised ego. But, beware...if you don't have a vacuum-break installed on your steam-masher, you better have a perfect memory to crack that valve every time.

As an aside, I'm installing a vacuum break on my steam masher.
akira7799

Re: Cautionary Steam Vacuum Tale

Postby punkin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Big red flag on the handle will help.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby akira7799 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 pm

punkin wrote:Big red flag on the handle will help.

Truth.
akira7799

Postby Azframer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:34 am

You are mashing corn with a steam setup and you are still in orange? Have you had any success with it yet? What do you have for a still?
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby akira7799 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 am

Yeah, I think they changed the rules after I joined. You need 25 posts before you can move out of the novice forum.

Huge success mashing with steam (other than this mishap). Much more so than soaking in just hot water. I usually boil for 2 hours or so after a 48 backset soak. I've been getting my protocol dialed in, but my best OG to this point was 1.065 with "out of the bag cracked corn", whereas it used to be 1.040.

Simple pot-still cooled with a Liebig is all I have on a 13 gal boiler.
akira7799

Postby Azframer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm

akira7799 wrote:Yeah, I think they changed the rules after I joined. You need 25 posts before you can move out of the novice forum.

Huge success mashing with steam (other than this mishap). Much more so than soaking in just hot water. I usually boil for 2 hours or so after a 48 backset soak. I've been getting my protocol dialed in, but my best OG to this point was 1.065 with "out of the bag cracked corn", whereas it used to be 1.040.

Simple pot-still cooled with a Liebig is all I have on a 13 gal boiler.

Well, it is good to see you taking it slow but good pace. Not trying to up your post count to get the door opened for you. Better than I was when I first came in. Of course, this was really my only form of communication back then.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby Duracell » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:03 pm

The vacuum break is only like $13, no reason not to have it.
Duracell

Postby akira7799 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Duracell wrote:The vacuum break is only like $13, no reason not to have it.

Duracell,
Thanks for the input. You're absolutely right about the vacuum break, unfortunately it took me nearly caving in my kettle to see that it was absolutely necessary. Do you have a part number and supplier for your vacuum break?

I sent you a PM about PSI change in your steam-mashing setup about a month ago. Have you ever noticed your PSI gauge register the slightest change? I don't see any change in mine. Actually, I don't even see a pressure gauge from your photos now, nevermind.

Also, did buy your DSPR220 directly form Auber, or did you find a better supplier?

Thanks again for the input,
Dave
akira7799

Postby akira7799 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Azframer wrote:Well, it is good to see you taking it slow but good pace. Not trying to up your post count to get the door opened for you. Better than I was when I first came in. Of course, this was really my only form of communication back then.

Yeah, I've been lurking for a while and try to research before I have to ask questions. Hopefully I won't have anymore close calls that will up my post count.
akira7799

Postby punkin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Theres no minimum post count for promotion. Youve just been overlooked is all.

I'll do it now.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby akira7799 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 pm

punkin wrote:Theres no minimum post count for promotion. Youve just been overlooked is all.

I'll do it now.

Woot! Thanks punkin!
akira7799

Postby Duracell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 am

Sorry, I missed your PM! No, I don't have a pressure gauge on mine, just the 15PSI relief valve (which has never triggered). The vacuum relief valve I have looks like this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-1-2- ... /300702609

Yes, I bought the controller direct from Auber.
Duracell

Postby akira7799 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:25 am

Duracell wrote:Sorry, I missed your PM! No, I don't have a pressure gauge on mine, just the 15PSI relief valve (which has never triggered). The vacuum relief valve I have looks like this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-1-2- ... /300702609

Yes, I bought the controller direct from Auber.

Duracell,

No worries on the missed PM and thanks for the info!

Quick aside, do you see much temperature stratification if not constantly stirring? I really need to construct an agitator stand.
akira7799

Return to Just Getting Started