• Advertisement

Making oak strips

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Re: Making oak strips

Postby Pikey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Bamaberry wrote:
,,,Don't remember who, but they pointed out a 5 gallon ferment takes about as much effort as a 50 gallon batch.
So I'm thinking starting with a 30 gallon plastic bin and I'll add the tap.
......:

I got one of those 120 litre ones with the tap - now I got 2x 220 litres without taps Plus a rake of 25 litre ones. Taps are never in the right place, clog up, leak, get knocked on things and get truned on by accident. :doh:

Just sayin' before you go drillin' holes try it without ! :wink:
Pikey

Postby Pikey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:14 pm

Bamaberry wrote:
Pikey wrote:
Azframer wrote:I was thinking you might want to soak charred oak in Sherry before adding to spirits as well being bourbon is aged is used Sherry barrels, isn't it?

I usually put 50 ml cream sherry into the 5 litre glass jar I'm oaking in along with the charge.

Pikey, how much and type of oak are you adding to the glass jar ? .............

I guess I'm lucky with the oak, living in reasonably well wooded part of the uk, I can glean decent thickness oak from the woods nearby as I know the owner. So I use 8-15" logs which have fallen a number of years ago, saw them into rounds about 4-5" strip off the sapwood and chop them just like chopping kindling. I like the sticks to be about 1/2" square, perhaps a little more.

Couple of hours toast at 380F loosely wrapped in foil and slightly spaced apart - and a char - I used to use a fairly heavy char, but the last one I did I got a lot of vanilla out of and that was a very light char, so I'll try that again without the additional vanilla I usually add as well ! :shock:

I use 20 sticks to 5 Litres and they are usually removed before 3 weeks. My last batch of sticks now has a second generation oaking on them because I recognise that I am "Ageing" far too quickly - even if it complements my "Easy Scotch" so well ! :wink:

I use European Oak Quercus Robur or a hybrid thereof and it is naturally aged for several years.
Pikey

Postby Hilltop » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:apple wood works great too

Hey Swede, what's the difference in the flavor profile between say white oak and the apple wood? I tried cherry and did not like it at all
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Hilltop

Equipment type: Small pot stiller

Postby Swedish Pride » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm

ehmmm, don't know really, I suppose more appely?
I'm don't have a great pallet or have a good way of describing flavours, i suppose it's a bit sweeter than oak.
The missus says it's very appely as do others that I've gifted some wood, I just know it tastes good.
Swedish Pride

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am

I've used apple wood in combination with cherry wood. It was chips that I mixed in equal amounts. It did a nice job in apple brandy. The chips were toasted and lightly charred.

It can't be emphasized enough that you need to take care in prepping the wood you use for aging your spirits. A lot of effort goes into producing the spirits - don't ruin it with poorly seasoned/prepped wood.
S-Cackalacky

Previous

Return to Just Getting Started