• Advertisement

Continuous Still.

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Continuous Still.

Postby Vaya Con Dios » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:05 am

I have been working with Steve Heising and Jim Heising on a continuous still. What has your experience been ? Thanks, Robert.
Vaya Con Dios

Re: Continuous Still.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 pm

My only experience with continuous stills is watching Steve Heising develop those stills, which are impressive. I built Cultus Bay Distillery, just right down the road from Steve and Bev. Rather than be competitors, they've been super helpful and good friends.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Mud » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Continuous stills excel at one thing: throughput. They don't allow for clean cuts and are pretty locked in to a feed rate. Aside from being a novelty they're kind of overkill for a hobby set up.

You could probably rig something electric for cleared rum washes but for grain-in whiskey washes the design would be considerably more complicated.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Bushman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 pm

What Mud said, on an off topic I am really going to miss you at the ADI conference in Portland Mud.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:37 am

We (Cultus Bay Distillery) are going to try really hard to make ADI Portland. If so, I'll try to find all you clowns.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Bushman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Great, ZB I will contact you prior to March and give you an update so we can connect.
Bushman

Equipment type: I have a VM still with a 2" column and a keg for a boiler and a 4" CM still that runs on electric heat.

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:22 pm

I'd love that, Bushman. Thanks.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby pintoshine » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:30 pm

I would really like to attend Portland ADI. I have gone back to pure Controls Engineering and have practically left the industry. It made the hobby aspect fun again. I did miss the social aspect last year. Maybe I have a few days vacation I can spare as long as the schedule doesn't conflict with The world of Asphalt.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby The Baker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:03 pm

pintoshine wrote:I would really like to attend Portland ADI. I have gone back to pure Controls Engineering and have practically left the industry. It made the hobby aspect fun again. I did miss the social aspect last year. Maybe I have a few days vacation I can spare as long as the schedule doesn't conflict with The world of Asphalt.

Our resident Tar and Feather man.

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 am

It'd be great to meet you after all these years.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Bushman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 am

Looks like a group get together in the works. Pintoshine I always looked forward to visiting you, mud, and the crew at the vendors booths.
Bushman

Postby manu de hanoi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Vaya Con Dios wrote:I have been working with Steve Heising and Jim Heising on a continuous still. What has your experience been ? Thanks, Robert.

you need to bleed heads accurately and you also need to bleed minute tails somewhere above the wash feed (not all tails exit at the bottom)
manu de hanoi

Equipment type: http://www.stainlessstuff.net

Return to Just Getting Started