• Advertisement

Getting frustrated

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Re: Getting frustrated

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon May 14, 2018 8:02 pm

The liebig seems a little small. I would recommend at least 24" of 1/2" inside 3/4". Longer would be even better - 36", or so. Keeping the water cooler using a larger reservoir might help to shave a little time off the strips. If I were you, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just continue to practice and learn and upgrade when you can. How long it takes doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things.

I recently ran about 100L of apple brandy through a pot still with a 50L boiler. I did two strips with a charge of about 40L each. I saved another 20L, or so, of the wash to add to the charge for the spirit run. The two stripping runs took about 6 hours from charging the still (twice) to heat up (twice) to shutdown. I run electric and was running at about 4400W with a 36" dimroth condenser using well water for cooling.

I used to run a 19L pot still with a 24" liebig (1/2"copper inside 1" PVC). It was also electric, but only ran at 1375W flat out. It took about the same amount of time (maybe longer) as you're getting with your strips. Took an hour+ just to get up to heat. Just keep in mind that we were all noobs at one time and just want to help you through your frustration.

It also helps to have a fill port and a drain on your boiler to cut time off the strips. Also saves a lot of work.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Double D » Tue May 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Trying to improve
Attachments
0F04F771-A941-4068-B32E-29B6255335F5.jpeg
Trying to improve
Happiness is 200 mph on a bike
Double D

Equipment type: 30 litre ss milk can pot still with copper lynearm

Postby just sayin' » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 am

Nice rig!
just sayin'

Postby minime » Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Double D wrote:Trying to improve

I run a very similar setup for stripping. I put an upside down double wound coil in vapour path ahead of the reducer......allows a shorter cooling condenser as it's already liquid when it gets there. :8)
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Previous

Return to Just Getting Started