• Advertisement

I don't want to do a dumb thing - but .....

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Re: I don't want to do a dumb thing - but .....

Postby Pikey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Yup !

For some starnge reason, neither of your images mean anything to me.
Pikey

Postby Saltbush Bill » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:38 am

Best advice so far is from Punkin, but no one seems to be listening, stop being miserable, spend some money and do the job properly, buy some ferules and proper elements. And no I don't work for Still Dragon or any other supplier.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby Kareltje » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Having fun and learning new things is not the same as being miserable.
Kareltje

Postby punkin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:33 pm

In this case the word miserable is being used to infer not spending money rather than meaning unhappy.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Kareltje » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 pm

OK, didn't get that. Must be lost in translation. :)

Still I think it is a matter of style. Some people like to buy new stuff, some like to have shiny equipment, some want to have a turnkey setup.
But, speaking for myself, I like to make new things of other things. When I want to make something I like to look around in my shed and look for things that have been sitting there for some time, waiting for an opportunity to become usefull. To me that is a great part of the fun. That these spare parts cost nothing is just a small part of the fun.
Or I browse around in secondhand shops, garagesales or normal shops. Just to find thinds that can be changed into something usefull.
I find that one of the really nice things of this hobby. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Judging by the OP of this thread, I think Pikey, at least in this case, has the same motivation.

While I am writing this: the point is not about spending money. The point is: am I smart enough to solve this problem with the resources I have at hand? And the result? I love it when a piece of equipment comes together!

Sorry: I got carried away a bit. (Even erased a lot.)
Kareltje

Postby Pikey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Kareltje wrote:OK, didn't get that. Must be lost in translation. :)

Still I think it is a matter of style. Some people like to buy new stuff, some like to have shiny equipment, some want to have a turnkey setup.
But, speaking for myself, I like to make new things of other things. When I want to make something I like to look around in my shed and look for things that have been sitting there for some time, waiting for an opportunity to become usefull. To me that is a great part of the fun. That these spare parts cost nothing is just a small part of the fun.
Or I browse around in secondhand shops, garagesales or normal shops. Just to find thinds that can be changed into something usefull.
I find that one of the really nice things of this hobby. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Judging by the OP of this thread, I think Pikey, at least in this case, has the same motivation.

While I am writing this: the point is not about spending money. The point is: am I smart enough to solve this problem with the resources I have at hand? And the result? I love it when a piece of equipment comes together!

Sorry: I got carried away a bit. (Even erased a lot.)

Thank you for understanding Kareltje :8) I'm actually quite surprised that some others don't seem to understand the principle !

- Sometime I'll tell you about the Big Stereo TV I bought for a tenner from the tip 25 years ago ! The guy said (After taking the money) "You'll be alright with that one mate - all the works are in a plastic bag in the back of it ! (Actually there were some parts from SEVERAL tvs in there) and it took me 4 months and many hours with the circuit diagram and the oscilloscope - but there was no way I was NOT going to beat THAT one ! :roflmao: Cost wise it only cost me some solder to repair the tracks around the LOPT and the whole fault was repaired by replacing a SINGLE resistor ! :rkn:

There was something very special about watching that tv for years after I had sprayed it Matt Black and "Whacked" the tube a bit ! (Green gun was low).

Incidentally whilst you are getting "English lessons" - the words "infer" and "imply" are often misused. We TAKE an inference so if you read something, YOU can "infer" an (unstated) resultant from that. When you want to give a hint or a less subtle signal, without actually stating the thing in black and white, you can IMPLY that something - by "stating without stating directly" - You effectively "make" an implication although we don't use the word "make" often we just imply TO someone, who then takes an inference (or just "infers" something ) from what we say. Ergo if SB was doing anything he was "Implying" (although I think it was a pretty bald statement in fact and he was doing neither !) rather than "inferring" - that is the receiver's job.

[Edit - if you want a little rule to remember that by - inFer -the "F" implies "from" ]

[Edit 2 - Quote "Andy Bassich" - (Life below zero- just now ) - "The more things you have to fix, 'Out of the ordinary' - The more skills you develop" ]
Pikey

Postby Alchemist75 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:39 am

Kareltje wrote:
I share your curiosity, as you know. I was planning an experiment with a small plastic bottle in a bain marie with an outlet hose. When it was running I planned to light the outcoming vapour. All from a safe distance, of course.
But a story of Alchemist made me change my idea. He told of an explosion because his condenser was cooled too much, created a underpressure and sucked in the flame. Then I remembered the huffing of a watercooled condenser. Including the sucking in of air.
So I realised: even if my experiment with an open outlet would not result in an explosion, it would not prove anything for a common still with a forced watercooled huffing condenser.

I saw an experiment of Myth Busters on this subject, but they seemed to use an ignition. And as far as I know no one uses ignition inside his boiler. The experiment was not really clear to me, though.

I agree whole heartedly with your remark. No threading on eggs. No snowflakes. Just arguments or serious thinking! :8)

Hah! The rig I built that exploded used a sophisticated gas trap system with an ice cooled coil and a reservoir to prevent back suction of condensate to the boiler. It was intended as a solvent recovery apparatus, not for producing moonshine. The rig would "breathe" in and out in a peculiar fashion, it was a semi closed system and operated in a fluctuating pressurized state. I still have the original design in my notes, it was kind of brilliant honestly, possibly something patent worthy.... Two things:
I was about 19-20 years old when I built it, I was given over to stupid ideas like checking for leaks with a lighter lol!
The extreme cold of my hyper efficient condenser created a strong vacuum in the system which I did not anticipate on the first run and when I put the flame to the overflow it drew it in and shot the top of the gas trap off like a rocket. Don't put a flame to the outlet end of your still, it's just that simple. Huffing is easy to mend with a turbulator or such, back suction needn't be a problem.....unless your still breathes, a moonshine still shouldn't breathe....unless it does but that's another story. :wink:
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Previous

Return to Just Getting Started