• Advertisement

Gas or electricity?

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Re: Gas or electricity?

Postby zapata » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Interesting experience mud. I haven't run into those problems....yet. I guess we'll see if they pop up as I get more runs on her.
zapata

Postby Hound Dog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

I don't distill on he grain so I might be bias. I started with propane. Used various burners and did ok. Then I stuck a couple electric burners in my kettle, built a controller and have not looked back. Besides ease of control and not hearing the roar of the burner I especially enjoy not having a raging heater going in my garage when it is 95 degrees outside with humidity so thick you need scuba gear to walk around.
Hound Dog

Postby Yonder » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Second that, Hound Dog. Hottest weather in a hundred years right here, right now. And me with a 3d gen UJSSM slowing down. 95 in the shed and no way to get that temp down when its time to run. :ranting: Havin an electric element in the boiler is the only way to live. Decent control, no excess heat, and no danger of igniting fumes. :8)
Yonder

Equipment type: 10 gal copper pot w/ thumper

Postby ElectricEd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:05 am

I have gas pot and spirit stills and an electric continuous stripper.
By comparing the output from all I have found that electricity is about 10% cheaper than using LP gas.
Also a lot safer than running a gas driven BOKA, probably the most dangerous configuration possible.
Tax?
What's that?
ElectricEd

Equipment type: 4 inch Procap 13 Bubbleplate spirit still
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
1 x 1200mm metre Liebig condensor.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Tracker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:12 am

Quote Electric Ed "Also a lot safer than running a gas driven BOKA, probably the most dangerous configuration possible."

Just wondering why you consider that particular configuration so dangerous?

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Saltbush Bill » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:06 am

Tracker wrote:Just wondering why you consider that particular configuration so dangerous?

Bokas can and will flood if operated badly, when that happens they can shower the operator, the boiler and other surroundings with high proof alcohol. Most stills wont or cant do that because of the nature of their design.
My 3 inch Boka is the only still that I own that I run on electricity.....all others are gas and will stay that way.
Saltbush Bill

Equipment type: 2 inch pot still 25L boiler. 2 1/2 inch pot still 50L boiler

Postby Hound Dog » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Tracker wrote:Just wondering why you consider that particular configuration so dangerous?

Bokas can and will flood if operated badly, when that happens they can shower the operator, the boiler and other surroundings with high proof alcohol. Most stills wont or cant do that because of the nature of their design.
My 3 inch Boka is the only still that I own that I run on electricity.....all others are gas and will stay that way.

100% right here. When I was getting started and suffered through the ssssllllllooooooowwwwwwww 2 inch boka I had over propane I had this happen but by a fluke I had a vent ube rather than an open top and it was angled so the alcohol spurted away from the still just enough. Was a butt puckering moment though. When I built my 3 inch, I put a sight glass in the side of the clump right at the top above the packing so I could see where things were. Found this helpful.

I am generally lazy, oh I mean I believe in "work smarter not harder" so I switched to electric. I just find it easier.

Have to comment on the stainless. :soapbox: The heat transfer thing is just hogwash. Don't think stainless transfers heat? Touch it, I dare you! :shock: I use a stainless condensing coil and have a stainless shotgun, they bothb transfer heat fine. Sure in a science lab the thermal transfer is different. In your garage using a blazing propane burner or way overpowered water heater burners? Not so much. Run what ya got!

Stepping down. :soapbox:
Hound Dog

Previous

Return to Just Getting Started