• Advertisement

Walmart Bonus!!

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Walmart Bonus!!

Postby Hound Dog » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 am

I ordered a couple bags of Manna Pro wet COB from Walmart on line. It is good all grain with all crimped grains and makes a pretty good sweet feed drink.

I also ordered two jugs of Herd Life Feed Molasses. It comes in 2.5 gallon jugs. Thing is there are two jugs per box and they sent me two boxes instead of two jugs! :8) That was a nice bonus. 10 gallons of molasses will give me a nice batch.
Hound Dog

Re: Walmart Bonus!!

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 am

Good scores. Haven't made SFW in ages, but I hear WM is a good source for the wet COB. Do you order online and pick up at the store?
S-Cackalacky

Postby Tdick » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:51 am

Hound Dog wrote:I ordered a couple bags of Manna Pro wet COB from Walmart on line. It is good all grain with all crimped grains and makes a pretty good sweet feed drink.

S-Cackalacky wrote:Good scores. Haven't made SFW in ages, but I hear WM is a good source for the wet COB. Do you order online and pick up at the store?

I called a local feed store today and they had no idea what COB is.
Asked what I was feeding with it and I said, "I use it to brew beer".

Anyway, went to Tractor Supply and bought 50 lbs Whole Kernel Corn in case I want to malt it, and also a bag of this:
Tractor Supply All Grain.jpg

Wondering what would be the best ration corn/cob for a bourbon type mashbill.

Cackylacky, you and our other friends in Florence's path stay safe this week!
Thoughts and prayers with you all!

:)
Tdick

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:19 am

Tdick wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:I ordered a couple bags of Manna Pro wet COB from Walmart on line. It is good all grain with all crimped grains and makes a pretty good sweet feed drink.

S-Cackalacky wrote:Good scores. Haven't made SFW in ages, but I hear WM is a good source for the wet COB. Do you order online and pick up at the store?

I called a local feed store today and they had no idea what COB is.
Asked what I was feeding with it and I said, "I use it to brew beer".

Anyway, went to Tractor Supply and bought 50 lbs Whole Kernel Corn in case I want to malt it, and also a bag of this:
Tractor Supply All Grain.jpg

Wondering what would be the best ration corn/cob for a bourbon type mashbill.

Cackylacky, you and our other friends in Florence's path stay safe this week!
Thoughts and prayers with you all!

:)

Good score on the TSC All Grain. My local TSC quit selling it. Instead of looking for another source, I started mixing my own. Hope you enjoy the SFW. It' a good drop.

Keep in mind that the cob Hound Dog got from Walmart can be ordered online for pickup at your local store. It's basically free shipping. I've also heard that it's cleaner than the Producer's Pride product.

Choice of grains for the bourbon is up to you as long as the corn is at least 51% of the grain bill. However, the presence of molasses in the wet COB will make it NOT a bourbon according to the strictest definition of bourbon.

Thanks for the good thoughts. We're to the west of the Blue Ridge, so don't expect much more than maybe a lot of rain. I have an old aunt and a cousin and his family in Myrtle Beach. They're not responding much to my queries. Hope they have the good sense to evacuate.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 pm

I hope your relatives are safe, SC.

In the past, I've had excellent results with Purina Hen Scratch for bourbon.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Tdick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 am

For the sake of conformity, can we say that Bourbon, Scotch, and Irish Whisk(e)y follow ALL the rules that most "hobbyists" can't follow.

But we can make (lower case) bourbon, scotch and irish product.
a
So, I know molasses in a sweet feed means it ain't "whiskey". I can live with that.

A Weller/VanWinkel mashbill is 70/16/14 corn/wheat/barley according to Liquor.com Mash Bills

They also distinguish that Maker's Mark is same ratio but barley is malted so I ASSuME Weller is unmalted.
And yes I do understand COB is oats that will be different from the wheat.

But I'm thinking
12 gallons water - no backset x 2.5 pounds/gal = 30 pounds grain (molasses will be a bonus)
30 pounds x
70% - 21 pounds corn
16% - 4.8 pounds oats - 5 pounds
14% - 4.2 pounds barley = 4 pounds.

So,
Sweet feed: 3 grains @ 4 pounds = 12 pounds
Oats - 1 pound
Corn - 17 pounds

Details to follow...
:!:
Tdick

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:53 am

TDick, keep in mind that the gooberment sets the rules. By virtue of just practicing this hobby, you are already breaking the rules. Gooberment defined Bourbon can have any combination of grains, as long as corn is 51%, or more. The rules also state that it can't contain any flavoring agents - for instance, Jack Daniels is charcoal filtered, so it can't be called "Bourbon". You, as a free thinking, law breaking individual can call it anything you like. Personal liberty is a wonderful thing.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Pikey » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 pm

S-C - I think that is rater well put ! :8)
Pikey

Return to Just Getting Started