• Advertisement

Alcohol Vapor vs. Temperature Chart

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

Alcohol Vapor vs. Temperature Chart

Postby Hammers » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 am

I've printed out the chart in Pint's gallery, but I'm having trouble making it work right. I'm at 5k' ASL, where water boils at 200f.

The chart itself isn't my problem, it's clear, well laid out, and pint-o-shine's instructions make sense. I can't measure ABV% yet, but the predicted results for wash% -> condensate% seem right, based on taste/feel tests & watering down to loss of flammability.

I'd like to make an excel tool to do this. Is the original dataset used to generate the chart available? Is there a formula for the altitude corrections that I can apply by hand as I use this version?

Thanks.
Hammers

Equipment type: $4 pressure cooker with a $50 liebig

Dirty, cheap and quick, but planning for a pint o' copper!

Re: Alcohol Vapor vs. Temperature Chart

Postby loneswinger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm

I have tried to find this information before and failed. There is this azeotrope temp vs. altitude calculator:

http://www.partyman.se/boiling-point-calculator/

I have no idea of its accuracy or source though.

You should just go purchase an alcometer, they are less than 10 bucks. You are probably not going to get very precise with temp measurements anyway.

Cheers,

-Loneswinger
We received our education in the cities of the nation, me and Paul
loneswinger

Postby pintoshine » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 pm

the equations are on tony acklund's original site. i haven't looked for it in a while. i think i still have the spreadsheets i made the graphs with. I will upload them and post a link.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
58L thumping spirit still
20L copper pot

Postby loneswinger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:40 pm

I think that all of the VLE data on the site is at 1 atm. Unless you know a different source.

-Loneswinger
We received our education in the cities of the nation, me and Paul
loneswinger

Postby Hammers » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:44 pm

pintoshine wrote:the equations are on tony acklund's original site. i haven't looked for it in a while. i think i still have the spreadsheets i made the graphs with. I will upload them and post a link.

The spreadsheets would be perfect, thanks. Please let me know.
Hammers

Postby pintoshine » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:33 am

I'm still looking for them. I know they are in the backups somewhere. If not I can reproduce them with no problems.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Postby Hammers » Tue May 10, 2011 9:47 am

Hey, pint. I'm bumpin' this to see if you've found that data yet. I finally have an alcohol hydrometer, and I'm seeing the results I expect based on the chart, but I'd love to have the temp/altitude conversions so I can read headspace temps back into remaining % to decide when to cut power.

If you can't find it I may have to get all scientific and stuff and derive the data empirically. I'd rather not reinvent that wheel if I don't have to.
Hammers

Postby crozdog » Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4461

I'm looking to do a similar thing but want to factor in atmospheric pressure. In that thread I've linked to the HD source as well as listed some of the formula.

Hope that helps

Croz
crozdog

Equipment type: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
all fit on a 55l electric laundry "copper"

Postby zedzedtop » Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 pm

So now you can make your own chart. Just make sure you're not getting any reflux.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby pintoshine » Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 pm

I found the charts. they are on my computer at work. I have to take a flash drive and get them.
Thanks for reminding.
pintoshine

20L copper pot

Return to Just Getting Started