• Advertisement

methanol in sugar washes ?

If you are just getting started then you can ask questions here. We wish that you have done a little homework. Here is a link to some basic information.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/presen ... Guide.html
Forum rules
All new users are confined to this section. In order to be promoted out of the Novice and into the regular Distiller, you have to demonstrate maturity, a certain level of distilling and fermenting knowledge. You must also prove that you are helpful to others and not have a propensity toward bad attitude.
You will be promoted out of this section once the demonstration is complete. I hope these goals are enough to allow you to grow out of the Novice Distillers.
If any of your first twenty-five posts is a link to another site or an advertisement of any kind you will be considered a spammer. The account will be deleted and all posts removed. Your IP address, e-mail address and user name will reported to http://www.StopForumSpam.com

methanol in sugar washes ?

Postby kekedog13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm being told by waljaco over in the ND forum that there in NO methanol in a sugar wash . If this is true then would there be any reason to collect and toss fore shots ? I gotta say that there is a sharp bite in the first running's out of a sugar wash that is not present in what comes out afterwards. I assumed this was from methanol. What goes ? :?
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 7 gal. keg, thumper, and worm.

Re: methanol in sugar washes ?

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:26 pm

I don't believe I know what methanol tastes like, or if it even has a taste that would be distinguishable from ethanol. There are all sorts of things in the first portions off the still that you don't want to be ingesting.
When running a VM column - the first 10-13% never makes it into my product. I save these heads and run them again in a heads only run, again even with all these stinky heads in the still, only the first 10% of the product is stinky like the heads you put in.

If you are careful with your cuts I don't think there is a need to chuck anything away, much like how the Scotch guys do it. I have a feeling the methanol thing is a myth (at least with sugar washes), if someone knows differently I'd be interested to hear about it.
devoted to the study of using your brain to squeeze the most out of the one and only life you will ever get, even if you have to wash it regularly in lukewarm Scotch.
Al Qaemist

Equipment type: SPP packed VM/LM combo, stumpy VM, stripper, 3Kw 11imp Gal Keg.
30L 1800w Gin still.
PWM controller, StillDragon Bubble Ball
Spotty cape and crash helmet.

Postby 620rossco » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:09 pm

When running a VM column - the first 10-13% never makes it into my product. I save these heads and run them again in a heads only run, again even with all these stinky heads in the still, only the first 10% of the product is stinky like the heads you put in.

Hi Al,

I probably re distill more like 20% even with a sugar wash.
I find a boka compresses the heads really well I guess that is why I have two.
Ran 20litres with some past it wines yesterday.
Output was great will use 6litres from a 43litre charge.
Interestingly shut down while the ABV was still mid 90s. It got really smelly/ slow.
Rossco
620rossco

Equipment type: 3" Pot, 2" Boka, 3" VM LM/VM, 4" hybrid flute.

Postby qball » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:42 pm

I thought tails were stinky?
qball

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm

kekedog,

You may have missed my answer to your question on new_distillers.

Actually, it's a persistent but incorrect myth that foreshots removal is strictly to remove methanol from the collected spirits. Most importantly, foreshots removal is for reducing the unpleasant flavors from the spirit, and I'm told (and I'll take the authority's word, here) that methanol is undetectable by taste in ethanol (it tastes like slightly sweetened ethanol). Foreshots are where the highest concentrations of acetone, acetaldehyde, furfural, and traces of other low-boiling, bad-tasting stuff are. If there also happens to be methanol in the wash, while it won't be tasted, some of it will be removed from the collected spirit.

So, yes, discard the foreshots from a sugar wash.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby pintoshine » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:26 pm

There are other really foul tasting thing that you can metabolize such as acetone acetaldehyde and ethyl acetate(the worst offender) none of these will hurt you they just increase the hangover by giving you a roaring headache. These are generally referred to as "Pop skull". The tails on the other hand are rich ion isobutyl alcohol which is sour and gives you the runs if taken on large quantities. These are generally referred to as "Fusel oils"
For the better tasting alcohol, toss the foreshots and the heads.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
58L thumping spirit still
20L copper pot

Postby kekedog13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info everybody. I hate to go a day without learnin' sompthin' :8)
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 7 gal. keg, thumper, and worm.

Postby 620rossco » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:57 pm

I thought tails were stinky?

Yeah sorry, tails yes.
The temperature started to bounce around as it went into the tails.
So I equalised it a few times.
Seems like if you give it a few minutes of full reflux the bok will fill the plates up with stinky high ABV.
Then you can pull 200-400ml before it spikes again.
Ended up with about 700ml of really stinky tails before I couldn't be bothered any more.
With the heads I discarded I got about 3.7 litres for the heads/tails jar.
Rossco
620rossco

Equipment type: 3" Pot, 2" Boka, 3" VM LM/VM, 4" hybrid flute.

Return to Just Getting Started