• Advertisement

Verveine du Velay

Have you had some success at reproducing a favorite commercial product, be it beer, wine or spirits? Share it with us.

Re: Verveine du Velay

Postby just sayin' » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:13 pm

Glad to see you are in a project that gives you fulfillment, Z-Bob!
Design/build is a great challenge and pleasure. It is rewarding to see a concept conceived in the grey matter between your ears through to functional form. Great fun.

If you don't mind, I am moving our Drambuie discussion to the ancient Drambuie thread. It seems we have high jacked MM tread here. See you there...
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:22 am

You're right about challenge, fulfillment, and pleasure; it's all of that and more. The whole distillery is a combination of things I've done and know well, things I've been reading about in these forums for years and hope I understand, and some things I've never heard of before so my figurative ass is hanging out just hoping. In the last category is a cyclone filter so that no wash ever enters a still with any particulate matter (especially yeast)(excepting, of course, the filthy wonderful stuff that makes potstilling so much fun), so that pot liquor, after cooling and pH adjusting, can be disposed of by irrigation, especially to a thirsty bamboo grove. Clear wash will also make electric conversion of the stripping still more feasible.

If it works, I'll be a genius and bore you all with the details, and if it doesn't, I'm the goat and I'll swear I never did any such thing.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby just sayin' » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:31 am

The cyclone filter sounds like an exciting concept, I can assure many of us are one the edge of our seats drooling! Please, please Master Bob, tell us more!!!
just sayin'

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:46 pm

Well, today I just bit the bullet and melted a hole in the upper side of the 7-gallon (very) heavy-duty poly cone, for the tangential high-velocity water injection tube. Since the whole point of the filter is non-turbulent circular perimeter flow, I wanted the 3/8" ID copper tubing to enter the cone at a very low angle to the perimeter of the cone, but I wasn't happy about cutting the kind of complex shape in the poly cone that would fit the tubing at that angle.

I think I may have avoided that complexity by first melting a 1/2" round hole in the plastic, and then warming the copper tube with an ancient but massive electric soldering iron while I moved the tube from the position of a radius of the cone to a position much closer to tangential. This way, the plastic distorted so that the flow should be almost tangential, but the hole in the cone is not too far from round. I think it's a success, but no water has flowed yet.

I'm testing adhesives/sealants so I can fasten to polyethylene, PVC, copper, and whatever the hell that black plastic cap is that tops the cone. Plain silicone sealer is a failure, but both Shoe Goo and Sugru show real promise, I'll know better day after tomorrow which works best. I'm pretty sure that Shoe Goo will adhere, but Sugru is billed as a very good adhesive that you work with by hand like putty, until it cures to a silicone rubber.

Here's an image of the flow in a cyclone filter, so you can get an idea of the principle: it may not be clear at first that after the high-RPM flow at the bottom of the cone, the (hopefully) clean water exits back up the center of the cone.

This is the actual cone that we're using, but with our own stand:

I didn't take photos today, and I won't see it tomorrow, but I'll get some photos. Whether I'm a genius or a dunce, we may not know for a while.

Oh, why are we doing this you may ask? The stillhouse is on the bank of a well-travelled boat channel into Cultus Bay, and there's too much visibility to have anyone see anything flowing from us into the water.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby just sayin' » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:59 am

Fascinating! I am looking forward to hearing how it preforms! Thanks for the illustrations!
just sayin'

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:53 pm

Ended up purchasing and planting in a lemon verbena shrub, used some fresh verbena leaves with some chamomile and an assortment of the "usual suspects" for herbal liqueurs - star anise, angelica root, fennel &c. - and came out with something relatively pleasant. Will continue to tool around with it, it's nothing like Verveine du Velay at this point but I think I could probably get it close enough so as to be good enough for me.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby just sayin' » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:47 am

Glad you are getting there, MM! I am getting close with my Drambuie experiments too!
Keep us up dated.
just sayin'

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Thanks, I will.

I've been following the Drambuie convo also as I would like to mix up something similar, with bourbon/"Southern-style Whiskey" as a base spirit, too.

I have this "honey flavour enhancer" stuff I need to find something to use it in also. Someone gave me a mead kit for a birthday a couple years ago, knowing I brew and whatnot, but when I make mead I just use honey, water and champagne yeast - a little bit of nute too if I need to - and sometimes some spent oak dominoes in the secondary if it's a quaffing mead, so I didn't end up using the kit as intended but rather just pilfered bits and pieces out of it for other projects. So there's that, which I think might be nice to use in a bourbon/"Southern-style whiskey" riff on a Drambuie.
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby just sayin' » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:59 am

Sounds interesting. Your bourbon based Drambuie idea make me wonder how my rootbeer would change with a whisky/whiskey base rather than neutrals. I will have give that some thought.
I am going to have to dig some sassafras...
just sayin'

Previous

Return to Clones