• Advertisement

White Rum (Bacardi)

Have you had some success at reproducing a favorite commercial product, be it beer, wine or spirits? Share it with us.

Re: White Rum (Bacardi)

Postby vb » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Rise-N-Shine wrote:if you do your spirit runs on a column is it ok to oak at these higher ABV % ? or should the ABV be reduced ?

Any time I've attempted to age spirit stronger than 65% with oak, it takes on a very harsh note from the wood. aging white shouldn't be an issue, but its always nice to let the distillate and water mingle a while before drinking.
See You Next Tuesday.
vb

Equipment type: yes, and lots of it

Postby Rise-N-Shine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:46 pm

are 151's oaked at 75%
Rise-N-Shine

Equipment type: 15.5 Keg 2" packed column. crossflow , leibig and offset head condensers
propane fired

Postby kiwi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Joe was saying on hd a few months ago that some rum distilleries age as high as 80%. I was dubious, and said I'd run an experiment to have a look at that, but then I drank all the white rum :? :oops:
Specialization is for insects.
kiwi

Equipment type: Pot/VM combo (thanks Punkin)

Postby Rednose » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:28 am

I have a 50 gal french oak cask full of 85% ABV, too much to sip. :)

Good space saver and till now it's more than good.
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up. ~Robert Frost
Rednose

Equipment type: ................. No flutes, only stills.

From 4 to 10 inch column diameter and 50 to 300 Ltr boiler gas/steam heated.

In avatar 10 inch bubbler and 6 inch rectificator (95%VOL)

Commercial licenced distillery

Postby RumBull » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm

We toured the bacardi distillery in Puerto Rico about 4 yrs ago. If I remember right they carbon filter, age for two years in oak and then carbon filter a second time to make it clear again. They claim bacardi was the pioneer of carbon filtering spirits to make them smoother? Brought the techinque with him from Cuba. You want to make some super white rum, try this...http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1436
RumBull

Equipment type: sankey scotch style pot still

Postby Bs3mdp » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 am

I'm gonna run 25 liters of rum feints through my vm this weekend for a light white rum.
First time doing something like this so should I expect a big ass heads cut?
For neutral it's normally more or less 10% of total alcohol in the boiler, would this weekends rum be alot more?
Cheers lads.
Bs3mdp

Postby minime » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:39 am

Bs3mdp wrote:I'm gonna run 25 liters of rum feints through my vm this weekend for a light white rum.
First time doing something like this so should I expect a big ass heads cut?
For neutral it's normally more or less 10% of total alcohol in the boiler, would this weekends rum be alot more?
Cheers lads.

I don't find any difference in volume of heads but I ferment 5kg fancy molasses and 10kg white sugar.
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Bs3mdp » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 am

That's a ferment specifically for your white rum though right minime? I'm gonna be running feints from half a dozen different rum ferments so there will be quite alot of methanol, ethyl acetate etc... Was wondering if I'm gonna be spending 5 hours bleeding off 3 liters of heads from my column tomorrow :doh:

I'm hoping since there are more heads in the pot they will come across more concentrated than normal and my heads cut will be a reasonable volume.

At any rate I'm looking forward to this one, hopefully my Bacardi drinking mates won't have any idea what hit em!!!
Bs3mdp

Postby Bs3mdp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:53 pm

On second thought my Bacardi drinking mates can sod off!! I'm not giving away a drop of this stuff!
I ran it off about 93-94% and it held on to quite alot of flavour. Beautiful sweetness...It definitely blows any commercial white rum iv ever tasted out of the water. Heads cut was pretty much normal too, despite the charge being mostly rum heads. It was 1.3 liters off of 11 liters of ethanol in the still.

I was planning on mixing it with coke but now iv tasted it I'm gonna oak most of it with chunks of a bourbon barrel because I see major sipping potential with this one....
Bs3mdp

Postby Smaug » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Bs3MDP,

Keep some white in glass with some head space. You'll thank your self in no more than three months...............Thats as far as I seem to git anyway.

Bs3mdp wrote:On second thought my Bacardi drinking mates can sod off!!

That was hilarious. Spit up all over the key board.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby Bs3mdp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks for the advice lwtcs! It's actually a problem iv had in the past, no matter what i make I always end up wishing I'd just left some white... :oops:

I got 7 liters of 93-94% hearts before i had to start compressing tails, took another 500mls of good heart before I got bored and shut it down. Il dilute 3 liters to 65%, lightly oak it, dilute 500mls for immediate consumption and then keep the other 4L white in a demijohn.

I hope it lasts long enough to properly age.....
Bs3mdp

Postby Bs3mdp » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

It didn't last very long after all
I drank it all already :? Gonna have to make some more pretty soon because I prefer this stuff to neutral.
On a side note, I recently drank some of my white rum along side some Bacardi.... A few years ago I would go to the corner shop, part with a chunk of money, drink my Bacardi and feel like this this was all a pretty good idea.
What on earth was I thinking? :shock:
Bs3mdp

Postby Pudding » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:13 pm

When I sat out with this hobby I was not much fond of the Rum.
I must say that after 10 yr + - Rum has become the likker i luv the most and allso the one that is most reproductable by distilling and by som good essences. Try the Prestige Jamaica Rum and the Strands Dark Rum + som syrap :)
Makes very nice rum within a months' storage

The Pudd
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."
Pudding

Equipment type: NTH-LM

Postby pintoshine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 pm

My 2 cents. make fasts fermenting molasses wash. toast some oak sticks if you can get them. Age 2 weeks with 1 oak stick in a 5th(750ml) drink. nearly same flavor but reddish yellow color.
Great stuff. I have gotten big wigs to ignore an open tasting with the stuff.
Distill safe. Make good cuts. Enjoy yourself. Give as much as you take. Have fun doing this incredibly hard work. Be a good example. It's your hobby.
pintoshine

Equipment type: 58L 1.1 meter LM still.
110L Artisan Still Design Hybrid 4 plate with oil filled jacket.
20L copper pot

Postby Pikey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:06 pm

I know this is a venerable old thread, and I've read how to make stuff much nicer than Bacardi - but not how to match it.

Well this recipe is my version. It's so easy and cheap it can be done in bulk and Bacardi drinkers cannot tell the difference (except in the lack of hangover)

400 ml feed grade molasses
5 kg white sugar
Citric acid (2 tsp)
Nutrient acc to instructions.
Water to make up 25 litres wash.
EC1118 yeast ( others probably do fine - I did one with Bakers yeast and it seemed to work well and quicker !)

I run through my pot as a 1.5
so heads and tails from last run, added to wash and run. Cut 100 ml fores
Cut and reserve 75 cl of heads (Mine at a around 65 or so abv adjust if yours better or worse abv)
I cannot tell you where to cut for tails - I cut when my head temp is 95C but that is my still and just experience of doing this wash many many times and noting temperatures of jars.

I get a little over 4 Litres of hearts (Bacardi(ish)) at average around 60% abv and another 2-3 litres or so descending into tails. If it is your first run, yield will be quite a lot less.

One slight problem is that a single shot (25ml) of mine has the same amount of flavour as a double (50 ml) of Bacardi, but only 1.6 (ish) times the alcohol, so There is slightly less alcohol in her drink when I make it - for teh same taste profile.

There it is then, no oaking, no filtering, no ageing worth talking about - drinkable straight away, but a few days wait May make a difference.

I'm not saying it's "Better" than theirs - just that "It's quite close to the same taste" :)

I know it sounds too simple but give it a try !
Pikey

Previous

Return to Clones