• Advertisement

Liebig with pvc water jacket

These are various style condensers for many different applications.

Re: Liebig with pvc water jacket

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am

No ridicule from me. I have one I've been using for years. Has a crimped 1/2 inch vapor tube and 1 inch PVC jacket. I used an epoxy putty to assemble it and some clear silicone sealant to make it leak proof. It's been working great for years with no issues.

It'll be retired soon - to be replaced by a dimroth PC. It's made from a 2" X 36" ss sanitary spool with a twisted CSST tube for cooling. I may continue to use the old PVC liebig for gin runs with my small stock pot still.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Alchemist75 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm currently building a milk can rig with pvc for the product condenser as well as a jacketed, water cooled 3/4" copper riser about 14" in length. Using epoxy rated for 300 Fahrenheit. I've looked into the heat tolerance on pvc and it can get up to about 140 Celsius before it starts to degrade. I suspect it will hold up fine but I'm seriously considering just using galvanized steel pipe instead and soldering it. Any thoughts on this one?
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Postby punkin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Sure sounds like doing something really easy the hard way to me.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Alchemist75 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Not sure if I feel like it's any more difficult to use pvc than having to drill out and solder metal pipes. I'd say it's cutting corners on some levels. I'm going to test the pvc purifier jacket on a straight, full heat water boil to see if it degrades even slightly before final assembly. The product condenser should be fine but the dephlegmator needs a good heat test first. It's a 5 gallon milk pail, I expect it will lose sufficient energy by the time the vapors reach the riser but proof is always in the pudding. Galvanized pipe is cheap if tougher to work with.
I've been running glass stills for over 20 years now and have no shame in saying so.
Alchemist75

Equipment type: All glass equipment, highly modular borosilicate lab glass. Volumes and configurations vary including a copper packed passive reflux apparatus and a modular glass thumper set up.

Postby Alchemist75 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:30 pm

And it appears to hold up beautifully. I ran steam through it for about 10 minutes, the vapors never quite got up to 100 Celsius. The pvc itself appears to insulate well, the copper piping was probably about as hot as the steam and too hot to touch while the pvc stayed cool to the touch even where the metal makes direct contact. No signs of melting or scorching and actually I did a great job with the connections, they don't leak even without ptfe sealing. Pvc works just fine.
Alchemist75

Previous

Return to Condensers