• Advertisement

Worm Size for 15 gal pot still?

These are various style condensers for many different applications.

Worm Size for 15 gal pot still?

Postby JoeFL77 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:59 am

I've been looking and I see references for a worm size calculator but I cannot find it. Would a worm made out of 1/2 ID 5/8 OB copper coil in a 5 gallon bucket be sufficient for a 15 galllon pot still? I am going to circulate the water from a 30 gallon trash can.
Thanks
JoeFL77

Equipment type: Building a Pintoshine 12 gal pot still soon

Re: Worm Size for 15 gal pot still?

Postby JoeFL77 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:20 pm

I found the calculator. Could some one help me with typical values?

Input BTU for a typical 15 gallon pot still?

I am using 1/2 ID (13mm) 5/8 OD (16mm) so which is used?

It is hot here so I was using 25C for input

I guessed about 2000 BTU and it seems 6 meters is about right.

I was hoping to not buy another 20 ft coil.

Thanks
JoeFL77

Postby punkin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Can't help with your heat input Joe, but 20' of pipe will be plenty. The only thing you may find is that the water heats up too much by the end of a run, but with double the still capacity, it probably won't.

Suck it and see, i reckon you'll be right.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby myles » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:30 pm

You have a bit of leway with all of the condensers and expecially with the worms. Your condenser needs to be matched to your heat input and not your boiler size, but there are a lot of variables.

With a worm all you need to do is change some of the water. If you have a running supply put a drain at the top to take off hot water, and slowly feed cold water in at the bottom.

Otherwise put a drain 1/2 way up, drain off some water and top it up. You can also top up with blocks of ice.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby JoeFL77 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks for the info. My plan is to put the worm in a 5 gal Home depot bucket. I went to Ace hardware and got 2 plastic outlets that I can hook up to a garden hose. I have a small submesible pump from my tile saw that I will put in a trash can full of water. I will circulate to and from the worm bucket.

I started making the lyne arm from my .043 copper. It is so stiff that it realy doesn't bend well. I think I will need to make wooden forms to get a uniform radius bend in anything I make from it. Nice thick copper and the price was right.
JoeFL77

Postby hard times » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 pm

I'd be interested in the address of the worm size calculator.
Thanks,
Carl
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby NineInchNails » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 pm

That calculator is pretty nifty. The key is to know the energy input into your boiler. A BTU is defined as amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one 1 pound (0.454 kg) of liquid water by 1 °F (0.556 °C) at a constant pressure of one atmosphere.

I imagine the only way to know what BTU is introduced into your boiler is to set your burner to the desired setting, know the temp of the water, take temp measurements periodically and calculate/estimate the BTU introduced into the boiler.

I wish there were a shortcut or at least a 'rule of thumb'. I'm trying to plan a cross flow reflux condenser made in stainless steel. The original design made in copper has been proven time and time again, but with stainless it is less conductive. Without knowing the energy input it is hard to estimate the proper dimensions for a condenser.

For a product condenser like a liebig or worm you can always OVER estimate I imagine. Reflux condenser are a bit different from what I understand.
NineInchNails

Equipment type: .
3" Stainless VM (5' column)
3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby JoeFL77 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 pm

There is not a way to link directly. Go to:

http://homedistiller.org/

In top menu select theory

Then in the left side menu select condensor size under calculations
JoeFL77

Postby Harry » Mon May 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Calculator...direct link... http://homedistiller.org/cond_calc.htm

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Postby myles » Thu May 05, 2011 9:57 am

Just thought of another way to look at this issue. Another aspect of this topic is the flow rate through the worm tubing.

In an earlier post Harry kindly explained how at the start of a run, the still could potentially produce an output of 69ml per minute for each kW of energy supplied to the boiler.

If you were using a 4.5kW element, which is not uncommon, you could in theory need to deal with condensate at a rate of 310ml per minute.

This should not be a problem for most worms, unless it is restricted by a kink or air lock – but it might be worth checking that your condenser has the necessary throughput to cope with a full power run.

:offtopic: Slightly off topic – does anyone check their liebigs or other style condensers, to see what maximum liquid volume flow they can cope with?
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.

Postby punkin » Thu May 05, 2011 12:45 pm

I have with parrotts, but as far as condensors, 1/2" or 3/4" pipe will cope with a lot of liquid after all that's what runs most houses.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby myles » Thu May 05, 2011 1:01 pm

:lol: Yes 1/2" should be fine, but some folks are using Graham condensers with the vapour path in the coil. It could possibly be an issue for them. Don't recall anyone using a liebig with an inner smaller than 1/2" so I doubt it is an issue. :)
myles

Postby hard times » Thu May 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks for the address!

Harry wrote:Calculator...direct link... http://homedistiller.org/cond_calc.htm
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good
as they're going to feel all day.

Good fortune takes preparation.
hard times

Postby Tracker » Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 am

myles wrote::lol: Yes 1/2" should be fine, but some folks are using Graham condensers with the vapour path in the coil. It could possibly be an issue for them. Don't recall anyone using a liebig with an inner smaller than 1/2" so I doubt it is an issue. :)

I have a 1/4 inside of 1/2 liebig but it possibly doesn't count because it is attached to the outlet of my Bok slant plate, just for further cooling of the output :)

OK, back to the topic now.

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Return to Condensers