• Advertisement

Stainless Cross Flow Condenser Idea

These are various style condensers for many different applications.

Re: Stainless Cross Flow Condenser Idea

Postby Jancio53 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Why do you deflower a nice column of the hammer. The hammer should be used in the forge and not distilled. See how nice they look today at alembic stills. Jak bedziesz czyscił miedź w tym młocie. Think of such a solution may be good for you
http://akas.tuba.com.pl/puszkowa2/na_fo ... poler2.jpg
http://akas.tuba.com.pl/puszkowa2/na_fo ... poler7.jpg
I have so wound 3m fi16mm the tube and the 4500 needs about 2.5 liters of water to cool a full return.
Excuse me, all my posts is on-line translation.
Jancio53

Equipment type: Keg 50l. 4,5kW fi72mmx1,2m LM+ARC,VM 1,1m SPP

Postby RyanS » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:17 am

Minieme, I don't know about all copper, but I think I will be the first one to have copper inside SS.. I think someone has done that already tho. the triclover blank caps are currently being drilled. As you can see I'm going to use ferrules with a stainless steel disc to use as the water dams with a bsp fitting.

I was going to have the caps TIG welded onto the shell and then push through the copper tubes after its welded and then solder. however it's going to be very difficult to push the tubes through that far without having.

if I put the copper tubes in first and then push the tri-clover blanks on, Then TIG weld with copper tubes in place and solder later. does anyone know if the TIG welding process is going to destroy the bundle of copper tubes which will be in close proximity to the welding torch (about 10mm)? I've seen videos of people TIG welding razor blades together, so..
Attachments
xf.gif
xf.gif (13.41 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
RyanS

Equipment type: That's a bit of a personal question :)

Postby Manback » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:57 pm

My stainless shotgun has copper tubes inside it. Didn't seem to mess the brazing up. Was about 6mm away
"Stilling is like sex" - Rebel Yell
Manback

Equipment type: 2" POS

Postby Mr MacStill » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 am

Manback wrote:My stainless shotgun has copper tubes inside it. Didn't seem to mess the brazing up. Was about 6mm away

Show us a photo mate, I'm interested :wink:
Addicted to copper
Mr MacStill

Equipment type: Running a 4" bubble plate x 4 perforated plates on an 8" inline thumper.
Keg on gas.

Postby Manback » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:18 am

Well.. I don't normally get into swapping dirty pics.. but maybe this once :)

I took the pics straight after constructing/linishing a few months back, but I haven't needed to change it - except the inlet/outlets were drilled out and replaced with a 3/8" BSP socket/hosetail which gives more flexibility. The valve didn't end up in that position - and I'd like to replace the connection with a 1" triclamp ferrule - but I want cheap stuff from China before doing that, it all seems to add up too much otherwise

The first pic shows the brazing area - yes its a little rough - but it's hidden soo. I tried to hold up to the light so the turbulating spirals were visible, but failed
Attachments
view.JPG
view.JPG (17.09 KiB) Viewed 7505 times
view1.JPG
view1.JPG (13.98 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
Manback

Postby RyanS » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 am

Manback wrote:My stainless shotgun has copper tubes inside it. Didn't seem to mess the brazing up. Was about 6mm away

gas Brazing stainless to stainless ? or the stainless parts were TIG welded even after you soldered copper tubes in?
RyanS

Equipment type: That's a bit of a personal question :)

Postby Manback » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Ok so first 2 discs, diameter 47.6mm (laser cut) with 5 x 12.7mm holes were TIG welded just inside the ends of a 50cm piece of 2", then the 5 copper tubes were brazed in. After that the reducers on each end were tig welded, and they were real close to each of the copper tubes. Didn't seem to be a problem for the brazed bits
Manback

Postby RandyMarshCT » Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 am

Hey NIN, how does this condenser work for you? I'm going to wing it with my design and hope it works. I'm making a stainless crossflow with 3/8" tubing (13 pcs @ 12" long) inside a 3" housing. I figured I'd make it and see how much power it can knock down with my fingers crossed. I'm putting it on a 3" column and happened upon this thread while reading threads about Harry's design. I know this is an old thread, so I hoped you might have remarks on your experience using stainless.
The same RandyMarshCT from AD, HD, ADI forums, ARC-forum, Moderndistiller, & Brewhaus.

Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
RandyMarshCT

Equipment type: .
26 Gallon Boiler

3" potstill w/ liebig

4" 4-plate Flute (perf)

3" Offset Crossflow VM/LM Hybrid (under construction)

Postby harrisorganic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:53 am

Harry asked to see a XFlow RC.
Here is an all copper version of Harrys crossflow 2" reflux condenser.
You may see that I have brazed a stainless ferrule on the base to join the column.
The caps are "glued" on with silicon sealant. There are no screws attaching them.
This is the best RC I have made for using a recirculating water system.

Thanks Harry.
regards
Hari.
Attachments
IMG_0550.JPG
Harry's Designed Cross Flow RC.
harrisorganic

Equipment type: 1600 x 50 stainless column, X flow shotgun RC, SS pot scrubber packed col, VM Head on 50 ltr keg. Pot Still 300L wood fired, 20kW shotgun condensor

Postby Harry » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:50 am

@Hari
Is that the rig you're trying to get more than 300ml / hr from? If so, then by all means retrofit that reduced size T-section you mentioned in your oyher post. That will boost output.
Also, the existing config (no retrofit) will work better for increased output if you reduce the power input, but the purity may not be to your liking. Over all, best bet is go with the retrofit.

Slainte!
regards Harry
http://distillers.tastylime.net/

Winning the hearts & minds; one post at a time.
(you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.)
Harry

Equipment type: 25 Lt 1500W elec. boiler, 2" x 40" packed column VM, x-flow O/head HX, crimp-path Liebig HX, VM proportioning valve, all in copper.
Various experimental gear.

Previous

Return to Condensers