• Advertisement

WTK about Building 4" dephlagmator and 2" product shotgun

These are various style condensers for many different applications.

WTK about Building 4" dephlagmator and 2" product shotgun

Postby Foxfire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 pm

I was at a scrap yard a day or so ago and saw a 4" piece of copper pipe in a large bin and heard it beckon me to buy it. It was about 11" long and cost me about $16. I also have about 20" or so inches of 2" copper I bought on a previous visit. I am thinking of making a product shotgun and a dephlagmator and was hoping for a few pointers. I read some of the previous posts and it seems for the shotgun some have used 1/2" and some 3/8". I am wondering though about the 4" dephlagmator, should I go with 1/2 or 3/4".

Also I am wondering if I should use brazing to set the tubes in the plate, silver solder to set the plate to the pipe and then use non lead solder to set the ferrules to the pipe. Seems I heard somewhere this can be easier since they have different melting points.

If there are any tutorials or other info out there, I would be grateful to have all I can get
Foxfire

Re: WTK about Building 4" dephlagmator and 2" product shotg

Postby zedzedtop » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I'd go with 1/2'' tubes in the condensers. You can braze the whole deal if you take into account thermal expansion of the tubes. You'll pretty much have to braze one set of tubes to the plate, and then clean up the other end in prep for their brazing. Then that assembly can be brazed to the shell, and ferrules added if wanted/needed.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Re: WTK about Building 4" dephlagmator and 2" product shotg

Postby Foxfire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Was thinking about 20" for the 2" product condenser with 5 of the 1/2 tubes in it.
Foxfire

Return to Condensers