• Advertisement

New build

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

New build

Postby Smaug » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm

There seems to be enough anecdotal data to at least suggest that a thumper/bubble plate under a packed column can enhance the performance of a packed column.

The larger volume of liquid on the plate seems to protect the lowest part of the column from temps that would typically be 20-25 degrees (Fahrenheit) hotter.
That concept coupled with the "positive feedback" phenomenon that Mike Nixon talks about in his vapor reflux paper has inspired this build.

There will be two (stepped in size) thumpers atop the primary boiler, And a small bubble ball styled vessel on top of the column section. The vessel at the top will have an internal downcomer to return reflux back down through the column section as to allow the column to behave as it should. Also there will be an external downcomer exiting the top bubbler and returning liquid to the second thumper. This will insure that the ABV content within the second thumper will remain as robust as possible for a longer period of time. And as such the column will be feeding from an ABV/liquid pool that may only be a few percentage points lower than what the column is even capable of producing.
The bottom thumpers will do all the heavy lifting and the column will do all of the precision separating. I view it rather like coasting down hill,,,with the wind at your back....Perhaps not?

As always, a goodly 100% reflux period will be needed to load the system and allow the bulk of any water to be cycled down to the largest thumper.
Attachments
nuetral still.JPG
nuetral still.JPG (9.53 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Re: New build

Postby Swede » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Cant wait to see the build Larry...............
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby Fester » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:11 am

Excellent, Larry!
We've been discussing a similar build in chat and hope to post a few sketches when we flesh it out a bit more.
Might I suggest something like this at the top of your column instead of a ball. It would be easier to marry it to the dephlegmator.
Torpedo1 (1).JPG
Torpedo1 (1).JPG (127.02 KiB) Viewed 4005 times

Torpedo1 (2).JPG
Torpedo1 (2).JPG (124.02 KiB) Viewed 4004 times

The reducer shown is 4" x 2" but 4" x 3" is available if you decide to go with a 3" column for greater production speed.
A small section of pipe between the 4" ferrules could be added to allow for the installation of a sight glass, if desired.
I had a little trouble getting the Teflon plate to seal because the ferrule was not perfectly flat but I'm overcoming that by ordering silicone O-rings that can fit between the ferrule groove and the Teflon.

Aesthetically, I'd try to route the return tubes inside instead of out.

I imagine it will take some trial and error to figure out the necessary height of the packed column.
VisionStills
The best distilling hardware at the best prices.
Fester

Postby Smaug » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Fester, my diagram is mostly intended to illustrate the operation of the apparatus.
your pieces appear to be outstanding solutions and I do look forward to further developements
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby emptyglass » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 am

I can't wait to see how you go Larry.

I think I'm starting to see what you are doing.
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.
emptyglass

Equipment type: 50L keg boiler.
4" perforated 5 plate column.
Gas fired.

Postby Buddy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 pm

So 5+ years later this newbee is reading this and wondering if Larry or Fester ever built this?
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby Azframer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:39 am

They are working together on a business adventure along with a few others Still Dragon.
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby Buddy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 am

Azframer wrote:They are working together on a business adventure along with a few others Still Dragon.

Interesting, I wuz under the impression that they had 2 different kompanies. :? But judging from this thread I could see if they combined their collective ingenuity some pretty good hardware could result.
Mama told me to never drink unless I was alone or with somebody.
"It's only for medicinal porpoises."
Buddy

Equipment type: 8 Gallon Hybrid Stainless

Postby punkin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Not sure if Larry did it as research but we certainly never brought it to market.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby whiskeywarrior » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 am

So an inline thumper is the way to go if you ask me. It will stabilize a column quickly and feed it high etoh vapor. Mine works flawlessly. I would recommend it on every column, packed plated perf bubble or valved. It is the way to go. There are too many upsides to name it's just the way to go IMO.
whiskeywarrior

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)