• Advertisement

separate boiler/columns

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Re: separate boiler/columns

Postby googe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:25 am

Sorry didn't answer ou properly dan, mud. I have traps dan, but I put the valve on the boiler side, and yes your right it did blow vapor through, I had to close the valve enough to vapor lock it then it worked. I need to put the valve on the lower part of the vapor lock. many have commented that the packed needs to be returned to the top of the plates mud, from.many runs now I see it doesn't need to, I get a steady 94%. When I ran 3 plates with the same packed section on top, running it off the boiler as per normal, I could only get 92, pushing 93%,.
googe

Postby googe » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:40 am

Just did a test with the second drain again, with packing this time lol. Was taking off at over 96%, first time.ever!. The sample.from the drain was 80%. Same ABV as taking off at 88%. Got no idea. Also did some speed testing, rum at 90% at 3.7lph, and neutral at 96% at 4.2lph, been running it to slow!!.
googe

Postby Mud » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:24 pm

googe wrote:...many have commented that the packed needs to be returned to the top of the plates mud, from.many runs now I see it doesn't need to, I get a steady 94%

I just meant it would be more energy efficient that way, googe. It wasn't meant as criticism in any way. You made a pretty still and it does what you want in a way that you like. Sounds like success.
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby Cedar Grove » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 am

A quick Question, on this Side Mounted Column. What is the correct Placement of the Drain on the bottom of the Column? Should it be level, and return to the Boiler above the liquid Level? Is a check valve required to prevent the liquid from draining off completely?
On a top mounted Column it wouldn't be as critical.
I'm just trying to sketch the Design before ordering any Parts.
Cedar Grove
Cedar Grove

Equipment type: 15.5 Gallon Keg Boiler, 3" Diameter 40" Tall Column, Stainless Shell and Tube Condenser

Postby googe » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:05 am

I have my drains going into the riser as it was the easiest way to do it for now. I have a trap on each drain as you'll see in the pictures. I have a slight slope on the drain line as well. At a later date I want to have the drain going into the boiler and be lower than the wash level, that way I won't need a trap. Hope that makes sense!. Looking forward to what your doing!. Good luck.
googe

Postby project » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 pm

This is something that I have wanted to do for years. Im glad to see someone took the leap and made it work .. Outstanding job!!!
project

Postby googe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks mate.
googe

Postby xxxxelalexxxx » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:19 am

I absolutely love your workmanship in this build! So, when is the continuous still being built? haha :8)
Being just 0.1% better each day results in exponential growth.
I haven't worked out why, but people love my parties.
xxxxelalexxxx

Equipment type: Traditional Jamaican-Style Pot Still using a 2000W heating element. Charge volumes: 25L of mash @ ~6-8% in boiler; 1L of diluted low wines from previous run in thumper 1; and, 0.75L of (slightly) diluted high wines from previous run in thumper 2.
Still Spirits CM copper column: Used for vodka and rapid ageing of rum.

Postby googe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:35 am

Thanks mate. Lol one day.
googe

Postby punkin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Come down off your hill for the annual day in town Googe?

50PoundsOfYeastAndSomeCopperLinePunkin

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby googe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:18 am

Lol seems like that lately punkin, big crouds scare me.
googe

Previous

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)