• Advertisement

Copper dish

These are boilers with half columns, bubble, sieve or any other plates. These stills may make a particular type of spirits. Please feel free to discuss the benefits and features of these beautiful machines and their inventive builders.

Copper dish

Postby Moscca » Sun May 13, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm planning to buy a bigger still, and there is quiet a difference with the model that comes with the dish of the tank in copper.
Is the copper dish important for distilling rum ?

Thanks a lot,
Moscca

Re: Copper dish

Postby minime » Sun May 13, 2018 5:47 pm

boiler is not important to distilling anything. Copper was employed because it was simple for the average guy to work with. Pusser's still boils in wooden boilers with rusty metal bottoms......I have a friend who'll drink nothing else. Spend your money wisely or your wife will put an end to your hobby :P
Never save the best for last!
minime

Equipment type: VM enthusiast.

Postby Moscca » Tue May 15, 2018 3:01 pm

minime wrote:boiler is not important to distilling anything. Copper was employed because it was simple for the average guy to work with. Pusser's still boils in wooden boilers with rusty metal bottoms......I have a friend who'll drink nothing else. Spend your money wisely or your wife will put an end to your hobby :P

Thanks for the advise minime !
I read that copper was good for removing sulfur from the wash
Moscca

Postby Pikey » Tue May 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Moscca wrote:
minime wrote:boiler is not important to distilling anything. Copper was employed because it was simple for the average guy to work with. Pusser's still boils in wooden boilers with rusty metal bottoms......I have a friend who'll drink nothing else. Spend your money wisely or your wife will put an end to your hobby :P

Thanks for the advise minime !
I read that copper was good for removing sulfur from the wash

Usual advice with pot still is to have some copper in the vapour path. I run stainless boiler and top, but copper column and condenser. Never had an issue - but then, I've neer run a stainless pot without some copper in the vapour path.
Pikey

Return to Tray Columns (Bubble, Sieve, etc...)